Front storage compartment latch not engaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front storage compartment latch not engaging

On our 22 310GK the lock in the center of the front storage compartment door does not engage the door frame when in the locked position. The two outer latches engage and hold the door shut. I know the lock doesn't really do much but it would be nice it at least held the door shut. What is the best way to go about fixing this? Longer arm on the back of the lock (anything available), reinforce the door frame so it sticks up farther?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike & Nancy
    2021 GMC 3500 AT4 CC SB
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R

Mike, they do make longer arms. Quick search for cam lock parts and this popped up: https://hardwarehut.com/products/321...r-cam-straight

You may find parts at a local hardware or cabinet supply store.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by manderson View Post
      On our 22 310GK the lock in the center of the front storage compartment door does not engage the door frame when in the locked position. The two outer latches engage and hold the door shut. I know the lock doesn't really do much but it would be nice it at least held the door shut. What is the best way to go about fixing this? Longer arm on the back of the lock (anything available), reinforce the door frame so it sticks up farther?
      Thanks,
      Mike
      Mike: We had the same issue with our 2021 320G. My solution was to use a 3/4” x 3/4” metal bracket by 1 1/2” lg attached with two screws per the photo. Has worked perfectly for the last ~6000 miles.
      Chuck & Vicki
      2021 Momentum 320G w/ 8,000 lb axles & disc brakes
      VIN: 573FM3822M1119697
      2020 Ram Laramie 3500 w/ Cummins 6.7L turbo diesel, 4 x 4, SRW, short bed, air suspension, Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

This is a curious issue which would have me asking "why?". I wonder what is causing the issue? Is the opening too large? Has something shifted? Is the seal still making proper contact to keep out the elements? Is the wrong sized door installed?

Since it's a 2022, I'd try to understand the root cause of the issue and get it resolved under warranty if possible.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Villager View Post

Mike: We had the same issue with our 2021 320G. My solution was to use a 3/4” x 3/4” metal bracket by 1 1/2” lg attached with two screws per the photo. Has worked perfectly for the last ~6000 miles.
          What a clever solution. Its now on my list as I had a locked compartment door pop open on my trip.
          Thanks for the tip.
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

TucsonJim At one point I emptied the compartment and got in and had my son lock and unlock so that I could see what was happening. It looked like the arm had just barely been engaging and maybe someone had pulled on it when it was locked so now it doesn't engage at all. We have had no water in the front compartment at all. My dealer is a long ways away and also don't need to take it in for something minor like this.

I like what Villager did with his. I was thinking of something like that but wasn't sure how to attach it. I will check our trailer to verify that there is space to screw in like that.

Jlawles2 Thanks for the link for the hardware, adding that to my favorites
            Mike & Nancy
            2021 GMC 3500 AT4 CC SB
            2022 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

We were recently camping near the dealer and stopped by for them to look at the awning per a recall notice we had received. While we were there we had them look at the issue and they put on a longer arm.
              Mike & Nancy
              2021 GMC 3500 AT4 CC SB
              2022 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

Working...
              X