Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating bedroom vent

Hello

In the winter (-30C outside, 5 people inside) I had so much condensation on the vent above the bedroom bed: it looked like someone peed the bed.

I thought it was a crack, but after observing it for a long time I decided it's definitely condensation. The same happens in the kitchen, but perhaps it's less obvious because that's just dripping on the floor.

If I understand this correctly, here's the only way to solve this problem right:
    1. Fill the cavity under the vent with as much insulation as will fit into it.
    2. Thoroughly tape a sheet of plastic under the insulation, on the inside.
    I hope if I do this: the moisture from the air won't make it to the crazy cold vent surface, therefore will not condense on that vent.

Does that sound reasonable? Has anyone tried it? My only worry is that the tape will peel off. Insulation is quite light, but I don't want to use something crazy like tuck tape which will come off with some of the ceiling when I remove it for the summer.

Thanks in advance.
    2021 Transcend 247BH

If you have that moist moisture in the air, seriously consider some way to dehumidify the inside of the trailer. Bad things will start to grow if you don't. If you're on shore power, there are some effective dehumidifiers om the market. If not, then passive dehumidifiers with absorbent materials.

Also, if you have power, look at placing additional fans in places where the air is stagnant, in closets and behind drawers.

And let the exhaust fans run for several minutes after cooking or showering.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Your logic is correct that the vapour barrier (plastic sheet) goes on the warm side of the insulation. But, JBill9694 John is correct that you need some serious dehumidifying if you have that much moisture inside the trailer. The walls and ceiling don’t have a vapour barrier on the warm side, so condensation is accumulating . . . you just can’t see it, because it is inside your walls and ceiling.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Sounds right. I have a dehumidifier I used at another house. It's effective, but quite loud. And it's supposed to turn off when the humidity comes down, but I'm not convinced it does.

Do you know of any small/quiet dehumidifier I could get? 5 people plus cooking will create a lot of humidity for sure.
        2021 Transcend 247BH

Comment

Dang it! Mine are packed away right now where I can't see the box. I know there is at least one thread on dehumidifiers, so maybe a word search will provide you more information than you want.
          John
          2018 Momentum 395M
          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
          X