Is Creaking Floors Normal on a Solitude 5th Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Creaking Floors Normal on a Solitude 5th Wheel

Our 378MBS has been in for warranty work a couple of times to fix our initial trip issues just due to timing of parts and warranty approvals. So far the dealer has done a good job with the repairs and we hope that is the same on this next set of repairs when we pick it up this weekend.

That said we have some creaks and squeaks in the floor of the bedroom and bathroom which are over the kingpin and the dealer says that this is normal due to the construction of the floor. All we have ever had before are laminated floors as found in our previous Reflection which I would think due to construction are less prone to creak and squeak.

To those of you who tow your non-laminated floor Solitudes or others is it really normal to have some creaking and squeaking with the screwed particle board/fiberglass insulated floor construction? I do know that it happens in stick and brick houses that don't shake, rattle and roll down the road until you screw/glue them but these are screwed down.

If this is normal to some extent I don't want to be a pain but if it's not then I need to push the dealer for a solution.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Creaking floors seem to be hit or miss in all 5er models. Some reflections have it some do not.

People have tried shimming the floors with varied success. You can try shimming under the affected areas. I think Vivian (beachcamper) did a write up on shimming the floors in her Reflection.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
      Creaking floors seem to be hit or miss in all 5er models. Some reflections have it some do not.

People have tried shimming the floors with varied success. You can try shimming under the affected areas. I think Vivian (beachcamper) did a write up on shimming the floors in her Reflection.
      Thanks for confirming. Let me see if I can find the post from Vivian Beachcamper . Dealer says it's normal and DW is not a happy camper and I don't blame her. For the amount of money these cost they shouldn't creak after the first 3 months or ownership.

Rob
      Rob & Barb
      2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

It was Villager not Vivian that had the floor issue. Took me a bit to find it. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...squeaky-floors
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          It was Villager not Vivian that had the floor issue. Took me a bit to find it. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...squeaky-floors
          Thanks Joseph for finding that one. Some good reading. I may try the composite shims as well. Seems like the dealer and Grand Design won't be doing anything so guess I will need to.

Rob
          Rob & Barb
          2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post

Thanks Joseph for finding that one. Some good reading. I may try the composite shims as well. Seems like the dealer and Grand Design won't be doing anything so guess I will need to.

Rob
            Calbar The composite shims continue to prevent our bedroom floor from squeaking. The shims stayed in place during a 6000 mile trip recently completed. The shims were simply pounded in place with a small hammer between the metal supports and the flooring above.
            Chuck & Vicki
            2021 Momentum 320G w/ 8,000 lb axles & disc brakes
            VIN: 573FM3822M1119697
            2020 Ram Laramie 3500 w/ Cummins 6.7L turbo diesel, 4 x 4, SRW, short bed, air suspension, Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Villager View Post

Calbar The composite shims continue to prevent our bedroom floor from squeaking. The shims stayed in place during a 6000 mile trip recently completed. The shims were simply pounded in place with a small hammer between the metal supports and the flooring above.
              Thanks Villager. That is great to know. I suspect that I will be doing this as well. DW is not happy at all with the creaking and noisy floor. I hope it works as well for me as it has for you.

Rob
              Rob & Barb
              2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Working...
              X