Tips and Tricks for Optimal Viewing of the Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips and Tricks for Optimal Viewing of the Forum

Here are some tips that may make your forum visits a little more pleasant.

Tip 1 (EDIT: DO NOT IMPLEMENT THIS TIP. It will cause forum functionality issues. More info to come later.... JIM

When you visit the forum and would like to see recent activity since your last visit, just click on the "New Posts" tab and you'll see what has occurred since your last visit. When you click on a new post you want to read, the default is a chronological history of the posts and responses. Would you like to see the most recent responses first? If so, do the following:
    1 - Click on your username at the top of the forum.
    2 - Click on "User Setting".
    3 - Click on the "Account Tab"
    4 - Under Conversation detail Options, click on "Latest Activity" under the display mode. {Don't do this, leave on "Posts"}

Now, when you click on a post, you'll see the original posting, immediately followed by the most recent responses in reverse chronological order. I much prefer this view.

Tip 1A Use this tip in lieu of the original tip 1.

When you click on New Posts, there are two blue arrows that will show up in the field for each new post. If you click on the blue arrow on the left, it will take you to first unread post. If you click on the blue arrow on the right, it will take you to the last post on the thread. These are very handy tools so you don't have to read through a whole thread to find the first post you haven't read. See the attached photo for an example:

Tip 2

If you frequently access the forum with a mobile device, you may want to unclutter your screen by selecting to not view other user's signatures and avatars. In the same setting area defined in TIP1, you can turn off Avatars and Signatures if desired. Personally, I turned off the avatars, but kept the signatures.

Tip 3

When using the "New Posts" feature, every time you read a post, it clears out of your "New Posts" queue. But, there may be posts you don't want to read and you'd like to clear them from your new post listing. To clear out all your new posts, go to the forum page, and click on "Mark Channels Read" near the bottom of the page. That will clear everything out.

If you have forum viewing tips, please share them on this thread.

Jim

Last edited by TucsonJim; 07-02-2019, 08:35 PM.
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Is there a way to use "New Posts" without it clearing the que after reading a post? Maybe a color change but not gone? Other forums have a way to do this. Have not found it here. Thanks
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
    2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toys:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
    2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Hi there. Sorry, I was a little tied up this weekend. There are two ways to observe the forum. The first is the New Posts tab. And as soon as you read these, they will disappear. But the second way is the "Recent Activity" tab. It is very similar to the New Posts tab, except that the posts do not disappear after you open them up. And you can use the filter on the right side of the recent activity screen to view the last day, last week, or even all time posts.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by JCR GD View Post
        Is there a way to use "New Posts" without it clearing the que after reading a post? Maybe a color change but not gone? Other forums have a way to do this. Have not found it here. Thanks
        Not that I know of. This is V-bulletin five which we're all still trying to get familiar with. The main benefit of v-bulletin 5 is that it's much easier to use on mobile devices. But I've still got a learning curve to work through.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          Here are some tips that may make your forum visits a little more pleasant.

If you have forum viewing tips, please share them on this thread.

Jim
          Not sure the best place to ask this question: On the original and old-new forums, I would get email-notification when someone responded to one of the posts I had initiated or followed. That's not happening on this new-new forum. Is there a setting I can enable, or does the new-new forum not support this feature.

-Steve
          2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
          Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
          2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
          18k B&W Companion, non-slider
          640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
          Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
          Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Not sure the best place to ask this question: On the original and old-new forums, I would get email-notification when someone responded to one of the posts I had initiated or followed. That's not happening on this new-new forum. Is there a setting I can enable, or does the new-new forum not support this feature.

-Steve
            Steve,

Yes, you can customize the emails you receive from the forum.

1. Click on your username at the top of the forum.
            2. Click on "User Settings".
            3. Click on the "Notifications tab".
            4. Select the items you'd like to receive emails about.
            5. Click on "Save Changes".

Let me know how it works out for you.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Is this forum compatible with tapatalk? If so, what is the proper name/term to search?
              Scott & Fonda
              2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
              2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
              Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
              Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
              Virginia Beach

Comment

Originally posted by Gimpyknee View Post
                Is this forum compatible with tapatalk? If so, what is the proper name/term to search?
                GDRV-Tom ?
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Got a response--the answer is "not at this time". Potentially in the future? If you'd like, please start a new thread and document what "Tapatalk" features you'd like to see here (that aren't otherwise available). The moderators will pass them along to the GD Admins.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

One of the primary reasons for Vbulletin (the forum software) to introduce version 5 was to make it more compatible with smart phones. This should have eliminated the need for Tapatalk style apps.

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie

Comment

There is a small item that would make the forum easier to use for mobile users. Once in a thread, there was a button to take you to the first unread post. Easier to use on a phone or tablet than trying to hit the tiny dot on the top page.

-jeff
                      2017 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by JeffC View Post
                        There is a small item that would make the forum easier to use for mobile users. Once in a thread, there was a button to take you to the first unread post. Easier to use on a phone or tablet than trying to hit the tiny dot on the top page.

-jeff
                        I agree. I want a link on the Navigation Bar. That little blue button is next-to-useless unless on a computer (with a large display) using a mouse. GDRV-Tom -- can you make this happen?

Comment

Working...
                        X