Chiefblueman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiefblueman

It is with deep regret that I am posting this at the request of Sharon.

Chiefblueman

To those of you on the Grand Design Forum who knew Chiefblueman, my husband Kim, I’m sad to say that he passed away in April. I want to thank you for the many kind thoughts from the forum during his illness, and although he never met you, we both appreciated your words of support. I know how much he enjoyed the forum for sharing ideas and discussing ways to improve an already great trailer. He used many of the ideas he learned from you, and I hope some of you benefited from his experience. I’m happy to say that we did get to take a very enjoyable trip in our brand new 2020 315RLTS. It was when Kim was feeling good, before the pandemic when we still had freedom, and although it was February the Oregon coast weather was beautiful. I hope the parks open everywhere again soon so that you can all safely get back to enjoying the RV life. Stay safe and enjoy it out there!

Sharon
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

As we all gather around a campfire this camping season please raise a toast to a man who fought more than any person should.

Brian & Michelle
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Chiefblueman

Sharon, or should I write "Supreme Commander"?,

I am very saddened by the news of Kim's passing. Kim was one of the very first to respond to my first post on a different forum. Over the months he continued to encourage me and point out items of interest.

While I never had the chance to meet him in person, I miss our interaction online and regret I'll never get to share a beer around a campfire with my friend.

RIP, Chiefblueman.

This is a screenshot of that first post. It will stay in my files so when I come across it I'll remember.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kim's First Post to Me.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	20820
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Chiefblueman
        To those of you on the Grand Design Forum who knew Chiefblueman, my husband Kim, I’m sad to say that he passed away in April. I want to thank you for the many kind thoughts from the forum during his illness, and although he never met you, we both appreciated your words of support. I know how much he enjoyed the forum for sharing ideas and discussing ways to improve an already great trailer. He used many of the ideas he learned from you, and I hope some of you benefited from his experience. I’m happy to say that we did get to take a very enjoyable trip in our brand new 2020 315RLTS. It was when Kim was feeling good, before the pandemic when we still had freedom, and although it was February the Oregon coast weather was beautiful. I hope the parks open everywhere again soon so that you can all safely get back to enjoying the RV life. Stay safe and enjoy it out there!

Sharon
        Chiefblueman
        I am so sorry to hear this news. Our prayers are with you and your family. He will be missed.
        God Bless
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

What sad news! I never met him in person but we had "fun" together trading information and barbs. I will truly miss him.

Rob
          Rob & Laura
          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
          2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
          (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Very sad news. I never met Kim but I did enjoy his posts and his willingness to share his thoughts and experiences.
            Brian & Kellie
            2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
            2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
            2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
            2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

How terribly sad. I had always hoped to meet him to discuss camping and the beautiful state of Washington.

Jim

Comment

It's funny how we connect with some people on electronic media. Kim was one of those guys. He was personable, helpful, knowledgeable, and an all around GOOD Guy. I was so saddened to learn he'd lost his battle. Sharon, we'll always remember him, and you are in our prayers.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Safe journey Kim,

A couple of the things Kim said had stuck with me along with the RV stuff.

"I am of Irish descent. My handle is a translation of my name in old English and Celtic. Kim - chief or ruler Gorman - blueman
                  Bluemen were the fiercest of Celtic warriors, stripping naked, dyeing their skin blue and charging into battle. I do not do this. (anymore)

BTW, when I explained this to my coworkers a few years back, they began calling me Papa Smurf!"

"I got married too young at 19 while managing the cosmetics dept at the local K-Mart. Got fired because, well...……. my recommendations for hair coloring and ability to stock feminine hygiene products were lacking.
                  My Pop helped me get a job with an electrical contractor as a shop boy/ gofer. They specialized in traffic signals and highway lighting. I became a laborer. I dug ditches and packed pipe and pulled cable. I was good with equipment and became a Line Equipment operator, running backhoes, auger trucks, trenchers, cranes, you name it. Whenever anybody asked if I could do something I never said no. I learned how to drive a tractor/trailer rig in a 1950 White Mustang. 500+ cubic inch 6 cylinder gas engine, manual steering, 5 speed over 4 speed brownie, hauling loads of 70ft wood poles. I set 130' wood poles for stadium lighting. I'd never done it before but just did it. I studied electricity and code on my own and became a licensed electrician. I ran 2 man crews, me and a helper, and I ran 20+ guys on multi million dollar projects. I did a few stints inside but stayed outside for most of my career. I did public works electrical inspection for a sizable municipality south of Seattle but couldn't stand the boredom. Went back to real work. If you've driven in Washington you've probably driven through a traffic signal I built.

By the time I reached 55the rigors of heavy construction had taken a toll on my body. I landed a job with a great city in their Traffic Signal shop and became a master electrician there. I was enjoying mentoring a great group of guys and learning new things on the electronics end when I was diagnosed at the age of 62 with Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia, a close cousin to Multiple Myeloma but much more treatable. After chemo I knew I would never feel any better. And guys, I feel good!
                  Wake up call received, I retired at 63 and am on the road right now. Headed home to our grandson turning 2, seeing my kids and planning our next adventure.

Oh yeah, wife #1 didn't work out. Wife #2 has been a keeper and a gem for these past 27 years. I have 3 daughters and a son. Life's been better to me than I knew then. I know it now."

Gene and Kim
                  2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                  2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Kim was one of the founding members of our Grand Design "owners forum gang" . . . many years ago. We had many discussions about the good (and the bad) of owning these RVs. He and I had many forum and private message discussions about our common RV successes and challenges. Kim is missed by all of us. Sharon, our thoughts are with you.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

That is sad news. When we were deciding to buy a 315RLTS, Chief was the first one to give us some pointers. We had many discussions about our model. RIP
                      2018 Reflection 315RLTS
                      2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Chiefblueman

Sharon
                        So sad to hear this I’m sorry he lost his battle. The world is a little less bright for this loss, he was always there with helpful info or a good story to tell. I too had hoped to meet someday and swap war stories in person.
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Just saw this on the "other" site, such sad news. I enjoyed Chief's posts and sense of humor. He posted some pretty cool pics of his old hot rod in my car guy thread that everyone enjoyed. Rest in peace Kim and
                          Sharon you're in all our thoughts and prayers.
                          Jeff
                          2019 Solitude 375 RES
                          2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

As with Jeff in post #13, I saw this earlier today and posted in the other sandbox.

This is incredibly sad news. Kim shared many valued posts with a creative and funny writing style. I never met him either but sure wished I would have. He will certainly be missed by me and many others in the extended GDRV family.

Dan
                            Dan & Carol
                            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

I always enjoyed his posts, whether serious, humorous or somewhere between. I know I’d have liked him if we ever had a chance to share a campfire. Sad day for me.
                              John & Kathy
                              2014 Reflection 303RLS
                              2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Working...
                              X