GDRV Technical Visit - Soliciting Feedback From Our Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDRV Technical Visit - Soliciting Feedback From Our Members

A couple of your moderators (the tall one and the short one) will be taking a week long excursion back to the GDRV factory for some updated technical training. We will have some extended time in the GDRV and other manufacturer's facilities.

This is a great opportunity for us to hone our skills in order to assist you. But it will be even more beneficial if you can arm us with your questions first. If you have a particular topic you'd like us to investigate, please share your thoughts below.

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Is GDRV planning to eventually move to Azdel in the laminated wall structures?

Jim

Comment

We really enjoy our 337RLS and the high quality of its components and workmanship. However, can GDRV come up with a better system to replace the Nautilus P1 system? For those of us who are not plumbers, this is nothing but a "plumbers nightmare"! I have watched the videos, read the P1 documentation and read intently all of the posts concerning the different modifications members have done to improve the plumbing. The plumbing on our previous trailer (Prime Time Tracer) was much simpler to work on when issues arose and these could easily be fixed while on the road without major consternation. Perhaps GDRV could incorporate some of the changes done by members as standard on upcoming models. I know that many of us would be willing to pay a little more for a system that is of better design and easier to repair if needed.
      Mark & Ellen
      2020 Reflection 337RLS
      2019 RAM 3500 Mega Cab SRW

Comment

While we are very happy with our 2021 22mle I am disappointed with reading on this forum about the troubles with Westlake tires and poor suspension systems provides with these models. After spending a good sum of money for a product that is supposed to be mobile I should not have to go to the trouble and expense to make the modifications necessary to go down the road safely and reliably. I personally would be willing to spend a few hundred dollars more to have adequate tires and suspension systems. I would suggest installing Goodyear Endurance tires, (including balancing) and Moryde or similar suspensions. At the very least they should be available as an option.
        Burt & Pat. '21 Imagine XLS 22MLE, '20 F150 3.5 EB Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions and discussion topics so far. Please keep them coming. Once I read them, I click on the "like" box and add them to the list of topics.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

TucsonJim GD should also look at getting away from the soft hose and go to all pex plumbing. I do know that full pex will be one of the items that I will be looking for in my next RV. I also know of one manufacturer that is full pex through out as well as the Azdel use that I would seriously consider next time if the floorplans work out.

Rob
            Rob & Barb
            2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
            2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

I second pestering the factory to, at the very least, offer Goodyears as an option. I'm waiting on a 22MLE and held out as long as I could hoping they'd offer optional 12 volt compressor fridges, but that's not in the cards right now. Please pester the factory to offer them as options, too.

Scott
              Scott & Sue
              2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE "Emily"
              2021 Tundra Limited TRD 4x4 "Smokey"

Comment

On the topic of optional tire brands . . . a year or two ago, Grand Design did offer Goodyear tires as an option on some models. Order rate was so low that the option was discontinued. Tire brand is apparently important to only a small group of customers and since most trailers are built to dealer orders, any options that add cost are usually not included.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

1- Make sure all washer/dryer closets can EASILY accommodate all compact 24" washers and dryers. This includes easy venting and access to the water faucets after installation.
                  2- Improve access behind basement wall (e.g. sliding panels).
                  3- Create a true wire chase (via PVC pipe) from basement to roof.
                  Brian & Kellie
                  2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                  2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                  2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                  2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

I've got a real problem with a good many of my decals peeling at the perimeters of my 2017 Reflection.
                    What REALLY irks me, is that after a service trip to the factory for a bowed leaking slide roof replacement and having some decals addressed, the factory only trimmed back the peeling decals and did NOT replace them as expected and promised they would !!! The decals were cut back unevenly and the adhesive was never removed.
                    This only became evident after it was returned to me but Covid kept the unit in storage delaying my observation.

I had decided to remove and NOT replace the decals that were superfluous and request only the main sweeping stripes and logos before time is up ( 5 years ???? )
                    NOW....
                    As I've started the arduous process of removal only to discover the color under the decals is original and noticeably a different color shade which makes the decal's replacement, now a necessity !!
                    Considering the amount of adhesive under the decal that must be removed to properly clean the gelcoat....
                    WHY does Grand Design use such THIN vinyl decals ???

Even though I live in a warmer part of the country, we have decal applique businesses, that have applied decals to thousands of commercial vehicles that seem to last forever and do not peel back and flake away.

This is a ridiculous and a totally unacceptable cost-saving error that will affect us ALL ....eventually, AND make GD products look terrible after only a few years !!!
                    What can be done to help US who have fostered GD rise to stardom, in this critical regard ???

My 2 cents worth

Michael and Cindy

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210130_155119.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.9 KB ID:	42734Click image for larger version  Name:	20210130_154808.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.9 KB ID:	42736

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210130_154731.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.7 KB ID:	42733Click image for larger version  Name:	20210130_154849.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.8 KB ID:	42738
                    Attached Files
                    F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat LB 25 row aux transmission cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 Performance chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks, 152 K

2017 307 MKS 9,875 UVW 12,995 GVWR 1,605 Pin wt.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                      But it will be even more beneficial if you can arm us with your questions first. If you have a particular topic you'd like us to investigate, please share your thoughts below.
                      Jim

First off would like to thank you and Howard for taking the time and effort that you do.

We are in our 45th month of owning our Momentum 376TH. I am pretty happy with my Momentum, but there is very little on it that has not been worked on, so I will list some ideas below for consideration. I don't expect anything to come of them, there are reasons to and reasons not to do things a certain way.

Extreme cold weather camping. It would be nice if GD specifically listed how tank heaters work and whether or not they are installed. Are they thermostatically controlled is so what temp do they turn on? Do they protect the tank valves? Then a one page blurb about things to do when extreme cold weather camping.

Add basic trouble shooting guides for furnace, water heater, and Gas Evaporation refrigerator. I see lots of questions about these all the time. The one control or compass control systems get a lot of questions also.

One recommendation I would have is customer satisfaction surveys for dealers. It is common practice these days to have satisfaction surveys, then work with the dealers to create a star rating system, I would love to know which dealers are 5 star rated, for example. Same with mobile techs. Common practice amongst many industries, every time I get my car worked on these days I get a survey a few days afterward. Yelp, just saying.

Please evaluate the effects of catastrophic tire failure on propane supply lines. Risk analysis folks will have a good time with that one.

What are the long term points of failure pulling RV's over very rough roads? Front seals under the 5th wheel overhang are popping loose. What causes this, how can it be properly fixed. When you hit giant potholes in cities or run down the bumpy I-10 corridor or the poorly maintained Maine highways what effect does this have on the frame and the fastenings of the walls and caps. From time to time I will find a trim screw about half way out. This is caused by bad roads and RV flex. Is this considered during engineering of RV's?

Please put higher BTU rated furnaces in when cost effective. 35Q and 40Q furnace is the same price and the same size.

Please add couch covers and throws to their swag catalog. Many reports of surface failure on the Thomas Payne furniture, cracking and peeling... Plus us pet owners, claws are hard on the furniture. Eventually we will have to replace the OEM furniture, but in the mean time we use blankets and throws.

Please install and clearly mark rear camera wiring, from the back of the RV to the hitch and place near a 12v power line.

Please install a breakaway plug inline of the trailer to truck wiring. That way when we forget to unplug the trailer when we unhook we don't either pull all of the wiring out of the hitch area or break the trucks trailer wiring connection.

Use a torque wrench while installing A/C units to get the correct tension on the A/C seals.

Test propane strap fit, or use a template to install.

Redesign the chloroplast under belly fastening system. Be kind to owners and technicians, it's not a matter of whether or not something will have to be repaired under there, it's a matter of when and how often.

Use reinforced spring hangers.

Use fire retardant insulation in the underbelly. While welding a new spring hanger on the insulation caught fire.

Roller bars on big 5th wheels rear.

Huge tail lights.

What is the weight difference between dual pane windows and single pane windows?

I will leave it to you guys to weed out what is an inquiry and what is product improvement suggestion.

Be sure to remind the folks back there that while there are problems that arise with GD rv's there are also a lot of very happy campers that have no complaints about their products.
                      2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                      2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                      E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                      Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Originally posted by Da Breeze View Post
                        I've got a real problem with a good many of my decals peeling at the perimeters of my 2017 Reflection.
                        What REALLY irks me, is that after a service trip to the factory for a bowed leaking slide roof replacement and having some decals addressed, the factory only trimmed back the peeling decals and did NOT replace them as expected and promised they would !!! The decals were cut back unevenly and the adhesive was never removed.
                        This only became evident after it was returned to me but Covid kept the unit in storage delaying my observation.

I had decided to remove and NOT replace the decals that were superfluous and request only the main sweeping stripes and logos before time is up ( 5 years ???? )
                        NOW....
                        As I've started the arduous process of removal only to discover the color under the decals is original and noticeably a different color shade which makes the decal's replacement, now a necessity !!
                        Considering the amount of adhesive under the decal that must be removed to properly clean the gelcoat....
                        WHY does Grand Design use such THIN vinyl decals ???

Even though I live in a warmer part of the country, we have decal applique businesses, that have applied decals to thousands of commercial vehicles that seem to last forever and do not peel back and flake away.

This is a ridiculous and a totally unacceptable cost-saving error that will affect us ALL ....eventually, AND make GD products look terrible after only a few years !!!
                        What can be done to help US who have fostered GD rise to stardom, in this critical regard ???

My 2 cents worth

Michael and Cindy

Click image for larger version Name:	20210130_155119.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.9 KB ID:	42734Click image for larger version Name:	20210130_154808.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.9 KB ID:	42736

Click image for larger version Name:	20210130_154731.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.7 KB ID:	42733Click image for larger version Name:	20210130_154849.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.8 KB ID:	42738
                        Michael - I'll certainly raise your concerns. You're not the first to note this issue.

I'd like a little more background if you don't mind. I also have a 2017 Reflection and the decals are in great shape. And I'm parked most of the time in the direct sunshine in Tucson AZ. The only maintenance I do is to was them with an RV wax with UV protection. I do this a few times a year. Have you put any protectant products on yours? If so, what did you use?

BTW, I've heard of a product that is supposed to make decal removal much easier. It's called Graph X Off. I've never used it myself, but I did hear it works very well.

From what I understand, the decals on the 2017 models and later are warranted for five years. The first year is parts and labor, and years 2-5 are for parts only (no labor).

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

d2reid - thanks Dallas. It's actually Brian (Country Campers - the really tall guy) and I going back next month. We've wanted to do this for a while, but I had to wait until I was finished with my vaccinations.

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                            A couple of your moderators (the tall one and the short one) will be taking a week long excursion back to the GDRV factory for some updated technical training. We will have some extended time in the GDRV and other manufacturer's facilities.

This is a great opportunity for us to hone our skills in order to assist you. But it will be even more beneficial if you can arm us with your questions first. If you have a particular topic you'd like us to investigate, please share your thoughts below.

Thanks,

Jim
                            A few thoughts;

5th wheel hitch height. All the big three pickup trucks are getting higher. Is there the possibility of a factory option for raising the trailers. I was thinking of an optional 4" sub frame verses the 2" they have now. Design height to accommodate the typical one ton 4x4 bed height.

Wiring - they need grommets at all through frame openings (none used on my unit). Also consider using wire harness's to save on all the excess they seem to be using. Example is the typical mess we are finding behind the pass through walls and in the belly. If possible standardize the wire runs so we can get actual wiring diagrams. I'm guessing they waste several hundred dollars worth of wire and fittings per unit. Also get rid of the knife type splices.

I second the Nautilus issue. The need to consider an upgrade in fittings (use brass and possibly shark bite) Many of the plastic ones have failed at the back of my panel.

Talk with them about answering emails better. Its been well over a month and I have not heard back on my simple question on the circuit breaker rating on the primary feed to the hot buss bar from the battery(12v). I think I have it figured out, but lack of any response is concerning. This seem to be a bigger complaint over at the other place too.

Also ask if they can get a toll free number for customer service and possibly a separate sub technical support team for each GD line or product type (like AC heater, stove, etc) that are common to all lines.

Last - set up a way to order parts from the Factory online without having to go through a dealer.

Just trying to help
                            Keith

Back to my corner
                            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

How about how they run a heat duct under the heater under floor to the island. I had major heat blowing up from a plumbing hole in the floor. Noticed loose foil in hole.

I used foil tape on top of the floor around plumbing hole. Noticed better air flow coming from island but wonder if I can see the ducting if removing coraplast to seal better.

2018 337RLS btw
                              Last edited by Jims94vmx; 02-14-2021, 08:46 AM. Reason: adding my rv
                              2018 337RLS
                              720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
                              disc brakes, ems

Comment

Working...
                              X