No announcement yet.

GDRV Technical Visit - Soliciting Feedback From Our Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A different product to replace the coroplast. The other day I saw mentioned on here a company that has panels of something like flat PVC or similar that were in sections. They were able to drop the hinged sections one at a time to perform repairs in the underbelly. I know Rob has made his own bombay doors.
    Steve, Sue, and pups Sky & Sierra
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
    2017 F350 CC, LB, 4x4, 6.7 Blue Ox WD

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Michael - I'll certainly raise your concerns. You're not the first to note this issue.

I'd like a little more background if you don't mind. I also have a 2017 Reflection and the decals are in great shape. And I'm parked most of the time in the direct sunshine in Tucson AZ. The only maintenance I do is to was them with an RV wax with UV protection. I do this a few times a year. Have you put any protectant products on yours? If so, what did you use?

BTW, I've heard of a product that is supposed to make decal removal much easier. It's called Graph X Off. I've never used it myself, but I did hear it works very well.

From what I understand, the decals on the 2017 models and later are warranted for five years. The first year is parts and labor, and years 2-5 are for parts only (no labor).

Jim
      Hello Jim and THANK YOU for your dedication and consideration !!

I'm kind of lazy for any orbital waxing in the Florida heat and humidity so I've used Meguiars Wash and Wax on average fours times a year.
      The sidewalls look very shiny and perhaps I'll take a pic to illustrate the gelcoat has been well maintained, has not oxidized very much considering.
      I'm not sure if it contains a UV protectant and I'm sure Tucson has plenty of UV as well as south Florida.
      Haven't applied any protectants on the decals themselves, seems like a tremendous amount of work ?

For decal removal, I use a Wagner heat gun set on low (750 degrees) but the decals really are very thin and do not peel off cleanly without breaking.... indicating a brittleness of the vinyl..I THINK ???
      I move the gun slowly over the decals ONLY ..( about five seconds), so as not to damage the gelcoat and gently scrape up the decal,using a plastic razor blade scraper.

An interesting note !!! After removal of the decal, there is a tiny ridge where the perimeter of the decal existed. This "ridge" almost looks like the gelcoat was sprayed OVER the decal.
      It is VERY difficult to remove even with plastic razor blades and Pro strength Goo Gone !
      I'm guessing that perhaps the polymers in the wash and wax product may actually have accumulated on the gelcoat creating a polymer barrier ??
      This may explain the glossiness my trailer's gelcoat has.
      There are other GD trailers parked nearby that are newer and do not look nearly as glossy.

I know I am reaching here BUT after hearing about your unit in Arizona being fine, I am really bummed now, as I'd figured it was the heat here ??
      This is especially frustrating because of the very difficult process of adhesive removal. The decals themselves come off fine, except for those damn ridges !!
      I can only HOPE that GD will send me replacement decals so at least I can replace these as they fail. I LOVE THIS CAMPER !!

Ironically, the passenger side has the worse peeling back. The decals on the curb side have held up better. The unit faces south so is equally exposed to the sun on each side.
      Well, you did ask for more info ....ha ha !
      I will go by there today to photo some of these items I've mentioned.... up close !!

Thanks again for your interest and dedication...You're a Prince

Michael
      F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat LB 25 row aux transmission cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 Performance chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks, 152 K

2017 307 MKS 9,875 UVW 12,995 GVWR 1,605 Pin wt.

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
        1- Make sure all washer/dryer closets can EASILY accommodate all compact 24" washers and dryers. This includes easy venting and access to the water faucets after installation.
        2- Improve access behind basement wall (e.g. sliding panels).
        3- Create a true wire chase (via PVC pipe) from basement to roof.
        d2reid
        Add basic trouble shooting guides for furnace, water heater, and Gas Evaporation refrigerator. I see lots of questions about these all the time. The one control or compass control systems get a lot of questions also. Plan on at least one full time tech for the one touch system.

One recommendation I would have is customer satisfaction surveys for dealers. It is common practice these days to have satisfaction surveys, then work with the dealers to create a star rating system, I would love to know which dealers are 5 star rated, for example. Same with mobile techs. Common practice amongst many industries, every time I get my car worked on these days I get a survey a few days afterward. Yelp just saying. A dealer guide from the website with 4 points in time, 30 days after purchase, 6 mos, 12 mos or at end of any warranty work and an option of comments / ratings for dealers willing to do warranty work on non-purchased units.

Use a torque wrench while installing A/C units to get the correct tension on the A/C seals. No brainer

Test propane strap fit, or use a template to install.

Redesign the chloroplast under belly fastening system. Be kind to owners and technicians, it's not a matter of whether or not something will have to be repaired under there, it's a matter of when and how often.

Use reinforced spring hangers. Also, create a methodology to allow owners of units susceptible to problems where upgrades / mfg changes have been made to have the same issue addressed proactively rather than having to wait for the failure to occur and then have down time and the hassle of correcting it.

Yoda I second (Third) the Nautilus issue. The need to consider an upgrade in fittings (use brass and possibly shark bite) Many of the plastic ones have failed at the back of my panel.

Talk with them about answering emails better. Its been well over a month and I have not heard back on my simple question on the circuit breaker rating on the primary feed to the hot buss bar from the battery(12v). I think I have it figured out, but lack of any response is concerning. This seem to be a bigger complaint over at the other place too.

Also ask if they can get a toll free number for customer service and possibly a separate sub technical support team for each GD line or product type (like AC heater, stove, etc) that are common to all lines.

Last - set up a way to order parts from the Factory online without having to go through a dealer.

Steve7 A different product to replace the coroplast. A better attachment methodology. Gravity works in their favor at the factory and against us in real life.
        Last edited by ThePowells; 02-14-2021, 02:52 PM.
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          [USER="2234"]It's actually Brian (Country Campers - the really tall guy) and I going back next month. Jim
          I thank Brian for his hard work also. I just assumed Howard because he is the one that has been answering my tech questions very quickly. Another 4 or 5 years I will get everyone figured out.

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
          2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
          E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
          Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

While not a product suggestion I think this may fit as you talk with GD. Unfortunately some dealers have a rep that is usually earned for not being interested in customers after a sale. I think that they should hire a couple of "secret shoppers" to go around and evaluate the dealers they choose to sell their products. Ours has a rep for the taking the sale and then ignore, unfortunately they were the only choice for many miles around. Think they might be interested, the secret shopper thing works very well in many industries and can help to strengthen a companies reputation, they may be surprised at what they find out.
            flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Originally posted by David Nicolls View Post
              While not a product suggestion I think this may fit as you talk with GD. Unfortunately some dealers have a rep that is usually earned for not being interested in customers after a sale. I think that they should hire a couple of "secret shoppers" to go around and evaluate the dealers they choose to sell their products. Ours has a rep for the taking the sale and then ignore, unfortunately they were the only choice for many miles around. Think they might be interested, the secret shopper thing works very well in many industries and can help to strengthen a companies reputation, they may be surprised at what they find out.
              I really like this idea!

Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I know some of the higher end products do have it, but on the Reflection 337 RLS some shoe storage under the stairs would be nice.
                2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
                Traded 2021 Reflection 337
                2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
                Formerly M&K337

Comment

Thanks for soliciting our inputs! A few things to add to the list:
                  - I bought my Momentum at a dealership which is higher 5,000’ Above Sea Level (in Denver, CO). I camp and hunt in the Colorado high country, between 9 and 12,000’. First trip to the woods, generator wouldn’t start, wouldn’t run. Downloaded Generator manual (NOT provided by GD), took 10 minutes to read that Cummins makes the generator with a carburetor that is rated for Sea Level to 5,000’, and if you’re operating above that, you need a hi altitude carb. Duh. Cummins ultimately found a bad carb and replaced it with a hi alt carb. The point is: the dealer sold it to me at an altitude, for use at an altitude, which required the hi altitude carb. Dealer’s maintenance manager claimed he’ “never heard about that.” I told him that he clearly hadn’t read the Cummins manual then, only took me 10 minutes to find that out. LESSON: Any RVs with generators going to hi altitude dealerships need to have generators with hi altitude carbs.
                  - GD Really needs to find a way to give us real wiring schematics for our rigs. It’s only fair for us to expect that we can know how things are done in our rigs. Many of us are installing Solar and re-wiring from converters to inverters, and having to trudge a hard path of discovery to do it. It doesn’t seem that hard. Please find a way to make a real wiring schematic available to us.
                  - Please include a manual for every single item in the rig, with my new owners packet. I’ve had to dig to find my own manuals for about half the items in the rig. Digital copies on a DVD would be just fine if you don’t want to print them all.
                  - Second the motion on a true chase from the ceiling to the basement. GD advertises one, even marks the spot, and there’s no chase. Feels like a blatant lie. Just install some tubing or something that makes it easy on us, the way you advertised.
                  - I would have paid for an option with double pane windows since I camp in some pretty cold conditions. Please consider adding it.
                  - I did a retrofit on my suspension to replace the nylon bushings with brass bushings. I was thrilled to find that most of the springs already had brass bushings. However, I was highly frustrated to find that the driver’s side aft spring mount was blocked by the sewer drain line. That means, when the spring bushing goes bad, I will have to cut the 3” PVC sewer drain to access the bushing, then replace it. Worse, I cannot even access the grease fitting to lubricate the bushing. It WILL go bad before all the others. Nice....... Please, have a bit of consideration for the basics, like being able to perform required maintenance, and don’t make that impossible!
                  - There has to be some kind of practical option for a coating on the nose cap of fifth wheels which keeps bugs from ruining the paint on the cap. Please look for the right product.
                  - I would appreciate some guidelines on what kind of wind puts me in a caution zone or danger zone for towing. In the west, we often have high wind conditions which can blow over an RV. It would be extremely helpful to have some guidelines for when to slow down and when to stop towing altogether based upon our model. Please consider studying the problem and giving us some numbers.
                  - I have to complement GD on the cold weather performance of my Momentum. I confidently take it to camp at temps in the single digits, and no issues with tanks or water lines freezing. The design of heater air flow into the tank/pipe chase and insulation is very effective. I recommend they consider publishing a bit of guideline on temps vs steps to take when it’s getting cold. For example: if temp drops below 32 F, ensure furnace is running. If temp drops below 20 F, activate the tank heater pads, etc.. It would have been helpful up front.
                  - Overall, I have to complement GD on the rig, I am very happy with it, I just pass along these few suggestions to make it better. Thanks for carrying the ball for us!
                  Al - Momentum 351M

Comment

Just say hello from Dave and Kay. Safe travels.
                    Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
                    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
                    2019 Solitude 310GK
                    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
                    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Comment

Originally posted by flyfshrockies View Post
                      I agree.

It should be a privilege to sell Grand Design RV's. The dealer should stand behind the product as good as GD.

Thanks and have a great, interesting adventure. KEN
                      2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. It's HUGE.
                      Update: Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19
                      10-19-18 - 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4 X 4 Long Box.

Comment

TJ, as you solicited input on manufacturing issues....my MK200 has solar and 12V fridge, which runs directly off the panel; the battery disconnect does not shut down the fridge, and the switch inside does not shut off the light. Yet no mention of a charge controller for the fridge. I'd like a lot more information on this fridge system, and a switch for the light so I can leave the doors ajar during storage.
                        ....And while this 12 volt fridge is terrific, uses very little power, GD put in a 110V TV and only 2 USB ports. With solar included, one should have a 12V TV and 12V plugs of auto type or USB throughout the house.
                        .....Would be helpful to have conduit connecting the power buss behind the battery with the charge controller over by the control panel in the cubby. At present those wires run through the underbelly without conduit, making it difficult to alter or add wiring for other equipment.
                        ....There is a heater manifold under the shower floor which needs better access; the 6" assess port in the bath is insufficient to work on that manifold. I have no forced air to my dinette vent, yet cannot access the ducting without removing the underbelly wrap, better access would be more friendly.
                        ....If the chassis and bumper protruded 8-10" out behind, rather than tight up against the body, one could add a fold down rack, etc, for more storage/cargo. This would only add a foot the length.....
                        ....GD should provide a topper awning for the slideout. It's foolish to not have one, and therefore a mandatory after-expense for the new owner.
                        ....The locks on the cubby are really cheap and keyed the same as every other unit on the road. Use quality locking/latching hardware, (see Lance's new latches)

We're very new to this rig and other than these issues, we're happy so far...........vagabond
                        Paul & LInda
                        Transcend 200MK
                        F-150 4wd CrewCab 3.5 Ecoboost
                        Andersen equalizer

Comment

Jim - I did not read through all the prior posts so if someone covered this already, I apologize. I'm going to take a little different twist on my feedback for you.

Part of Don Clark's, Jerry McCarthy’s, the Fenech's, and I suspect other key leadership business strategy to build a better mouse trap by elevating direct support between manufacturer and owners has been a game changer. It has been extremely successful and now beginning to get copied by others. A huge attribute to GDRVs growth was the direct involvement and support from GDRV with forum members especially with folks on the road and full timers. We all know too well the challenges often times associated with dealer service (and getting worse with the industry unprecedented growth.)

You and the other moderators working with GDRV to establish the forum nearly a couple years ago has been much appreciated. It has been extremely successful in providing and sharing helpful information to new and existing owners along with other stakeholders. I (and many others here I suspect) would like for you and the "tall guy" you to share our gratitude and "thank you" to the GDRV team for setting this up, maintaining, and most of all participating on the forum. Please share our "thank you" to all those involved if you would be so kind.

The past year has been extremely challenging for the world population and obviously the GDRV team. Staffing challenges, Covid protocols, along with parts/components shortages have impacted many areas including the active participation by the GDRV team and direct access by forum users to the GDRV team. You all have shared in various posts over the last several months how busy the GDRV team is dealing with these and I suspect other issues.

I think we all would like to see the GDRV team be more readily accessible between forum users and them as I think was envisioned nearly a couple years ago. I understand that social media is the main focus (not technical stuff) for Emily and her team members. You all have the technical end covered very well. We are so blessed to have you, Howard, Rob, and Brian to promptly respond with knowledgeable, helpful, and appreciate information.

My "question" for you, Jim and Brian, centers around what conversations have been had and are ongoing between you moderators and the GDRV team relative to the forum challenges and opportunities for 2021 and possibly beyond ? The forum has certainly taken considerable work load off Jerry McCarthy's GDRV Customer Service Team and helped to further "build" the GDRV brand. I suspect that Jerry and others in the GDRV team have been quite pleased with the value that the forum has created through the excellent customer support provided.

Jim – you and tall guy have a great trip ! As Dave and Kay shared - please share Carol's and my "Hellos" as well. We look forward to reading your feedback on items shared in this thread.

Dan
                          Dan & Carol
                          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Hello,

Our goal is to have a one-bedroom mobile apartment. We looked first at DPs again (have owned three), but decided on the new Ford 7.3 engine with a 4.30 axle and a Solitude 310GK-R. We like the convenience of gas, the GCWR of a one ton, the excellent ride of an F-250 4x2 with good IFS and the lower maintenance of a fifth wheel (probably much lower than a DP). I am still working on making the setup and breakdown similar in time to the DP, but think we will get there.

We bought a 40DP in 2005 and used it for 12 years. Our 2021 Solitude is sixteen years later, so we can see many improvements. The main appliances now are apartment versions – this is a great improvement. We like the residential Samsung refer, the Insignia stove, the double sink in the island, the microwave, the recliners and the televator TV. We bought a rug and glass and metal end table for the living area and a king-size sleep number bed for the bedroom. I pack the glass and metal end table with clamps, a blanket and the rug folds up over it – it turns 90 degrees and the two slides hold it tight. It just fits between the island and the couch with the slides in (pillows on both ends).

Generally, the Solitude is an excellent floorplan and the Director of Décor likes the maple solid panel door cabinets and the tan and beige tones. We had and liked cherry cabinets in our 2005 DP, but the solid-door maple with the Jacobean stain is fine with the Director of Décor. I understand décor is a matter of choice, but we like the warm tones (June 2020 build) much better the new white and gray and the new island woodwork. The fifth wheel floorplan with high ceilings, the LR on one end and the BR closet on the other, the recliners and the island is excellent – better in many ways than the large DP floor plans.

While only the larger DPs now are shipped with an apartment dishwasher and washer-dryer, within five years it is likely the Solitudes will have those as standard features. Progress continues and the feature set will grow.

While we are happy Solitude owners, I do have some suggestions for modest changes. The bedroom slide could be expanded two inches per side – most Solitudes have a king bed and this would fit better. The BR washer-dryer closet right back corner could be extended three inches – I understand this means moving the five aluminum supports back and redoing the load calculations. But this would enable the WD closet to have more depth for a WD. The other option is to angle the front out and move the panel closer to the window. This is easier and would also give you two or three inches of added right-side space. The closet and BR doors also could be expanded from 23 ½ inches to 24 inches.

Thanks again to Grand Design and especially to our moderator friends.

Charles
                            2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

Awning screws
                              I’ll bring this up as an issue from the past, which hopefully they have resolved. And for the record, Grand Design responded immediately to my concern and sent me the new fasteners (rivets instead of screws), very quickly, and at no charge.
                              I’m happy to hear they want to improve and are looking for input.

Grand Design and perhaps the other manufacturers seem to struggle with using strong fasteners and torquing them correctly. Case in point is the screws used to fasten the awnings to the sidewall. Most of the screws on my unit were stripped out from over torque. (I think there were 32 of them)
                              And when I removed them they came out with rust on the threads, that doesn’t give you warm fuzzies! This means they were not tight to hold the awning in place, and they were not water tight either.

i have also replaced about a half dozen of those cheap aluminum screws they use to hold the trims on. When you over torque those at the factory, the heads break off. My fix is to get a stainless steel screw, drill a new hole right next to the sheared off screw, fill the hole with sealant and then install the new screw, carefully!

So my point is, have they spent some time calibrating the assembly tools, and training the assemblers who are using them? And from a wider perspective, look at the fasteners being used. Stronger, corrosion resistant screws would be something to consider.

Thanks!
                              Keith
                              2018 303RLS, Steadyfast, Reese 16k hitch
                              2016 GMC Sierra2500HD Crew Cab 6.5’ Bed 6.2 L Gas 4:30 gears

Comment

I would inquire about the HVAC plumbing. Much like some of the wiring, the placement, routing and sizing of the duct runs leaves much to be desired. It would appear that just a few more minutes taken when installing would yield much more efficient performance and reduce trouble shooting time immensely.

Comment

Working...
                                X