No announcement yet.

GDRV Technical Visit - Soliciting Feedback From Our Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something I just thought of. On the 5th wheels deepen and reinforce the front bay for additional battery's. I'm guessing the floor could be lowered at lease 12" and not have any issues. Or make the battery drop structure big enough for 2-12V In today's world, space for 1 - 12V battery just does not cut it.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      This is a great opportunity for us to hone our skills in order to assist you. But it will be even more beneficial if you can arm us with your questions first. If you have a particular topic you'd like us to investigate, please share your thoughts below.
      SEWAGE DUMP PATHWAY

The issue of sewage being trapped in the manifold of the dump outlet network continues to rankle, even though we have added the requisite extra gate valve at the exit to ensure that I don't christen the next campsite with our sewage.

Thanks to Covid our trailer is enjoying a winter that required me to do a second dump into a pail (!!) to remove some of the remaining sewage when I parked the trailer for the winter. I doubt that I got it all out and believe there is now frozen sewage in that pathway - probably not in danger of cracking anything, but that's not certain.

It would be interesting to hear whether GD has done everything possible to avoid this design and/or construction failure for future owners, and to know if existing owners can remedy the problem without it being a nightmare of a project.

SOFT HOSE

I've already had to replace two sections of bulging soft plumbing hose and prudence requires that I replace the rest soon in our three-year-old trailer. That's a MASSIVE hours-long job in uncomfortable circumstances dumped on usually-unskilled owners in order to save GD's manufacturing floor an hour or so in production doing it right the first time.

It would be great if our customer advocates (that means you!) would strongly make this case to GD. I would GLADLY pay another hundred or two hundred dollars for a trailer that didn't push the risk of substandard plumbing and the ugly job of replacing it onto me.

NOSE LIGHTS

Barely over a year after purchase we started losing the Las Vegas strip lighting on the nose of our trailer. Now only a few short bits of the lights work - too ugly and useless to use. It would be great if GD heard that they should either use quality products and installation for this purpose or don't install them at all - put the money into better plumbing.

I could go on! Thx for asking.
      Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Wiring diagrams with branch points. This will help everyone when it comes to trying to find issues.

Plumbing diagrams and from what I have read, either the proper fittings or change to PEX throughout the coach.

after pulling the basement wall to add carpet to the floor (prevents sliding of crates), I know why there is no wiring diagram. It would be nice if the nest of wiring, plumbing, and ducting that all intermingles would have a bit better layout. My converter almost cannot be seen for the wiring laying on top of it. Likewise the plumbing side is such a nest that the hoses are up against the basement wall and wrapped around the pump.

Magnetic catch on front compartment door. The manual latch is nice, but its hard to open the door and latch it when hands are full.

Slam latch(s) on the 3/4 basement door on the non curb side.

Location of the sewer hose holder. On my new Ref 303RLS, the sewer hose holder is behind the axles and under the slide. Since GD is using rubber hoses for the gas lines, it should not be that hard to put the sewer hose holder by the dump connector.

No curb side slide manual retract access point. If for some reason the curb side slide is extended and the other side is retracted, you have to extend the non curb side to pull the curb side in since the manual retract is located behind the wheel trim between the wheels.

Teach installers that all manual locks should be horizontal when door is locked. The propane door locks were vertical when locked, its a minor thing, but being a creature of habit its a quick look to see that everything is locked. I did change the tabs on the back since the drive is square, it could just unscrew the retainer a touch and turn the bar to the position I needed.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Converter.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.7 KB ID:	45373
        Last edited by Jlawles2; 03-08-2021, 10:14 AM.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

TucsonJim - I keep adding to my last post since its the last one in the chain. Hopefully you are keeping track.
          Joseph
          Tow
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

How about a deeper propane door. My 30lb tanks just barely fit in the 337. Or lower the tray a couple inches.....
            2018 337RLS
            720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
            disc brakes, ems

Comment

Originally posted by Jims94vmx View Post
              How about a deeper propane door. My 30lb tanks just barely fit in the 337. Or lower the tray a couple inches.....
              How about screening the bottom of the Propane bays? Back where I come from, mud robbers get into everything and the propane bays are no exception.
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

TucsonJim, this is one that just gets me every time. Floor penetrations into the underbelly sealing. I just went out to check the AAV under the sink (both kitchen and bath were rattling loose) and dropped it behind the cover. I had to remove the plumbing cover to retrieve the AAV only to find that the floor penetration looks straight at the coroplast, and its big enough for a full size opossum to crawl through. It may not seem like a lot for our northern members, but down in the south where critters (anything racoon or smaller) like to find small openings and infiltrate this allows for any multitude of nasty things to enter the unit. The one under the bathroom sink is siliconed closed. Guess I need to pull the basement wall again and check those openings for sealing if not against a tank. I'll try to get a picture and upload later today.
                Joseph
                Tow
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

TucsonJim please see post #79 https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ter-tank/page6
                  Would it be possible to have GD engineering and production setup an experiment to see what is going on with these tanks? I think there may be a slightly larger issue than originally thought.

If they do the experiment, would it be possible for them to fill the tank to the point of steady stream from the vent as I think this is how most people are filling the tank, or during the multi tasking it just happens because we are distracted with other things and do not get to the shut off in time.

I do not know who to tag in GD (or if its better coming from a moderator) about the hypothesis of what's going on in the fresh water tankl
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                    ...But it will be even more beneficial if you can arm us with your questions first. If you have a particular topic you'd like us to investigate, please share your thoughts below.

Thanks,

Jim
                    Not so much a question, but I have an Imagine 2970 RL and I would like to see them put some sort of a "catch" on the bathroom door to hold it closed. A magnetic catch would probably work. And on the subject of the bathroom door, sometimes when you close it, it jumps out of the guide on the bottom and then you have to pull it back in in order to open it.

AND... I think this applies to all of the Imagine line, I would like to see them redesign the plumbing in the passthrough, so you don't have to remove all the screws and the wooden panel on the "docking station" to access the selector valve for the antifreeze suction line. After a couple of times of removing the screws, they no longer grip well.

Thank you.
                    Bob
                    Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
                    2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

Originally posted by flyfshrockies View Post
                      While not a product suggestion I think this may fit as you talk with GD. Unfortunately some dealers have a rep that is usually earned for not being interested in customers after a sale. I think that they should hire a couple of "secret shoppers" to go around and evaluate the dealers they choose to sell their products. Ours has a rep for the taking the sale and then ignore, unfortunately they were the only choice for many miles around. Think they might be interested, the secret shopper thing works very well in many industries and can help to strengthen a companies reputation, they may be surprised at what they find out.
                      GD probably doesn't need secret shoppers if they listen to existing customers, most probably have some bad experience with the dealer. My last go around with the dealer (after buying my 3rd fifth wheel) I called Jerry McCarthy and he had a chat with them about their agreement with GD to provide top line service. I refuse to go back to them

Comment

TucsonJim I would be nice if GD either added another disconnect, or revisited the current one. I plan to modify the circuit and put a disconnect between the battery and the bank of self resetting breakers. This is in an effort to truly isolate the battery for storage and safety. I leave my unit parked in the woods for a couple of months a year as my hunting lodging. I would not like for something to happen like the brakaway switch get pulled and have it melt the wires and catch something on fire, or some stray critter decide to eat the wiring and have it short to the frame. I know the circuit is there for safety, why can't they put a separate battery on the brake system that charges off the 12v or marker lights like utility trailer systems.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jim have a safe trip
                          Keith

Yep I know - go back to my corner and stay there.

I wont ell them your leaving town because the Force is coming. Safe you and the DW will be.

YODA
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Folks - I can't thank you enough for your contributions. We've been holding off on this meeting until I could get vaccinated, and now I'm good to go. I have a spreadsheet with over 40 items to discuss with GDRV management. Your brain-storming was very helpful. Country Campers (Brian) and I will be flying to Indiana on Sunday, and spending the entire week with GDRV and its suppliers to try and help with some of your concerns. And we won't forget to thank them for the great job they've done for us already. We plan on using video conferencing when possible to keep Cate&Rob (Rob) and howson (Howard) in the loop. When I get back, I'll prepare a report to share how things went.

We also plan on discussing the future of the forum with them and how we can make it even more useful as time goes on.

Thanks again,

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie
                            2024 Solitude 310GK
                            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

New question....

Why do we have to go on a 64 question scavenger hunt for the Schwintek controllers? I understand the need for versatility in mounting locations, but with multiple models using the same chassis and near identical slide configurations, why can the controllers be mounted in a consistent location or at least an identification label as my ice maker cutoff is?
                              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                              Nash County, NC
                              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
                                New question....

Why do we have to go on a 64 question scavenger hunt for the Schwintek controllers? I understand the need for versatility in mounting locations, but with multiple models using the same chassis and near identical slide configurations, why can the controllers be mounted in a consistent location or at least an identification label as my ice maker cutoff is?
                                New one here for GDRV and Lippert. An outside enclosure needs to be designed to access the motors from that location whether the slide is in or out or somewhere in between. A better more protected pigtail needs to be designed for the motor as well. The system IMO is a good design but access, motor failure and wire chafing seems to be the underlying issues.

And thank you Moderators for doing all that you do.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X