Broken links bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken links bug

In the Plumbing section, the thread Fresh water tank dropping thru the belly wrap? includes photos posted by the OP as well as images posted by Cate&Rob and howson .

When I clicked on the 5 Photos link in the OP's message to see all five photos posted the site displayed thumbnails for them as well as for the images posted by Howard and Rob. Clicking on the photos worked fine.

However clicking on either of the two other thumbnails for images posted by Rob and Howard produces an error about gallery images being missing or deleted. The images appear just fine in the thread.

I know that you delight in getting my little nags. You're welcome.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mark

I have noticed this plenty of times previous to your post. I am not sure why the software will post the pics and also post a thumbnail but I also think it has to do with the way the user chooses to attach a picture. I use the "Upload Attachments" right below the post box and I believe that my posts only have the picture and not the thumbnail. I might have to makes some posts using the different attachment methods to see which one does this.

By the way I enjoy getting your "little nags" , any feedback is great to receive.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

boyscout

In my profile, using a Windows 7 computer on Firefox I don't see an issue?

Video: Thread as I See It

The difference in image presentation is a result of how each individual chooses to upload their photo. The OP (Vagabond) used the IMAGE option on the Advanced Tool bar. This puts the pictures in their Gallery and, other than as a small icon, to see the pictures the reader must click on each one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image Button.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	44319

I prefer to embed pics in the text (which is what I've done with the pictures in this post). To do this I use the Upload Attachments option.

1) Click UPLOAD ATTACHMENTS and, in the dialog box that opens, upload the image.
      • The file will upload to a line with INSERT: <options> next to it. (Just to the right of the blue arrow next to 2, below, is an example.)
      • The file itself should be small size.
        • The two images I uploaded into this thread are about 864 x 288 @ 96 dpi so they are only 33kb and 37kb in size, respectively. (Windows chose these dimensions and dpi as I use the Snipping Tool to grab images from my screen.)
      2) Ensure the cursor is where you want the image to insert in the text.
      • Three paragraphs between lines of text, and then placing the cursor in the middle line, usually gives the best results.
      3) Click the size of the image you want.
      • I've found LARGE works well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Upload.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	44320

Howard

P.S. I'll echo Brian and write that I also appreciate your notes.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

boyscout
        I checked the thread using the DW's member profile and also looked at it on my Samsung (Android) phone. I didn't see an issue there, either.

BTW--nothing should happen when an individual clicks on an image I insert in a post.

Can you check again? If you still see the issue, any thoughts on why?

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

What I see is the same as boyscout .
          When clicking on the "5 photos" link beside the OP's 3 photos in the first post this brings up all 5 photos that have been inserted in the thread , going to check other threads to see if this is common. I can click the OP's original photos and load them , when I click on Howard's or Rob's photo thumbnail it give me the same error.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            What I see is the same as boyscout .
            When clicking on the "5 photos" link beside the OP's 3 photos in the first post this brings up all 5 photos that have been inserted in the thread , going to check other threads to see if this is common. I can click the OP's original photos and load them , when I click on Howard's or Rob's photo thumbnail it give me the same error.

Brian
            That is weird--I have no idea why that would be. What are you using? (Windows 10? Chrome?)

Comment

Windows 10 here and Microsoft Edge for the browser.
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                Windows 10 here and Microsoft Edge for the browser.
                I've got that at work so next week I'll check it on that system. boyscout -- what is your setup?

Comment

Is this enough generator? - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

Here is another post with pics that does the same thing. Post 17 has 2 photos attached and beside that has the "2 photos" link. The only 2 photos that I can see is the ones from the post 17 and not the others.
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                    boyscout
                    In my profile, using a Windows 7 computer on Firefox I don't see an issue?
                    Howard, you even document simple rebuttals thoroughly... that's terrifying!

When the OP's post is displayed, it shows just three thumbnails. What I think you're doing in your video is just selecting the first one and then paging through all five of the available images... I didn't try that. Instead, I saw three thumbnails and a link that said "5 photos", which I thought was inviting me to click to see all the photos instead of just the three thumbnailed photos.

When you click that "5 photos" link I think you'll find that you can view all the OP's photos, but the thumbnail of the image you posted later and its repeat from Rob's post both produce the error I reported.

boyscout -- what is your setup?
                    I'm using Chrome / Win 10.

Next time you make a video I'd appreciate a title page and credits in it.
                    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post
                      When you click that "5 photos" link I think you'll find that you can view all the OP's photos, but the thumbnail of the image you posted later and its repeat from Rob's post both produce the error I reported.

I'm using Chrome / Win 10.
                      Dang it, I don't understand. You shouldn't see a thumbnail of my image--it should just be the image (as shown in the video).

With the error visible on your screen, press the PRINT SCREEN key on your keyboard. Paste the result into a program of your choice (Powerpoint, etc)--anything that will accept an image. Crop or mask off any of your personal info (please) and then post the result here so I can see what you're seeing.

Country Campers -- if you'll do the same thing it would be interesting to compare with Mark's.

Howard

Comment

With the error visible on your screen, press the PRINT SCREEN key on your keyboard. Paste the result into a program of your choice (Powerpoint, etc)--anything that will accept an image. Crop or mask off any of your personal info (please) and then post the result here so I can see what you're seeing.
                        Here you go - not with the error, but with the page that appears when the "5 photos" link in the original post is clicked.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Broken_Links_Bug.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.5 KB ID:	44346

If either of the thumbnails under "Uploaded by howson" or "Uploaded by Cate&Rob" are clicked, the following appears:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Broken_Links_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	13.5 KB ID:	44347

Comment

Now I understand! If the Photos link is clicked the resulting page is a list of what it thinks are "Gallery" photos in the thread. I've never clicked on that link (Photos)--I literally click on one of the pictures which results in a full page view of just that one picture. I then can page through each picture in that specific post.

Since Rob's was loaded the same as Vagabond's, I don't know why that error is shown. The error for my image is understandable because it's not in the gallery. (Side note: each picture a user posts in the gallery counts as a separate post. Can you imagine my post count if I uploaded all the pictures I use as an image? Probably >10K!)

The only usefulness of the Photos link is to see what's available in the whole thread and then use the Go To Post link (on the right) to go to the specific post desired with the image.

Why it works that way...no idea...thank the good folks at vBulletin.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Gotcha.JPG Views:	0 Size:	178.6 KB ID:	44350

Comment

Working...
                          X