This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcement: Soliciting Feedback on National Rally Seminar Topics

Your Technical Forum moderators (Howard, Rob, Brian, and I) have volunteered to organize the seminars for this year's National Rally. We would like to solicit your input on topics that would be of interest to the forum membership.

If you were in charge of picking seminar topics, what would interest you? There is no limit on the number of suggested topics, and they don't have to be technical in nature.

Please reply below with your suggested topics. Once we have a good list started, we'll poll the membership to narrow down the list.

We really appreciate your feedback.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

To help focus our seminar planning, we are working toward three broad categories.
    Please consider these when thinking about seminar topics that would interest you.

1) Service & Maintenance
    2) Upgrades and Modifications
    3) RV Living & Travel

Rob

Last edited by Cate&Rob; 05-06-2021, 09:08 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Roof maintenance is always a good one. The black algae we have seen is a concern where it would be interesting to know why it seems to migrate to the truss areas of the roof. I've used the method from Alpha with a soft brass brush with gel bleach and it worked well. But can an algeaside work such as spray and walk away?

Jim

Comment

Just spit balling, but I’m sure you’re already planning a solar presentation of some kind. Tied to that, or maybe even a separate presentation altogether, would be a review of all the solar options available from the factory now (solar prep/factory solar/even the inverter included with the residential fridge)? Most of them didn’t exist when most of us bought and a quick refresh might be good?

At the last rally there was a presentation on Alaska, maybe we could get someone to do a presentation on Mexico this year?

Given it’s going to have been two years since the last rally, there could be a lot of first timers this year. The usual suspects of suspension maintenance, wheel bearings, etc would be good.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
          Just spit balling, but I’m sure you’re already planning a solar presentation of some kind. Tied to that, or maybe even a separate presentation altogether, would be a review of all the solar options available from the factory now (solar prep/factory solar/even the inverter included with the residential fridge)? Most of them didn’t exist when most of us bought and a quick refresh might be good?

At the last rally there was a presentation on Alaska, maybe we could get someone to do a presentation on Mexico this year?

Given it’s going to have been two years since the last rally, there could be a lot of first timers this year. The usual suspects of suspension maintenance, wheel bearings, etc would be good.
          I think Neil is on to something. Possibly two solar topics - one the stock GD set up, how it works, components used, how GD wired it, and how to maintain and trouble shoot, such as turning the residential fridge off.

Then do a complete 201 solar install starting with the BASICs, sizing, components, inverters (need for pure sine), chargers, wiring sizing, etc and go through an install if possible so folks can decide if it is something they want to tackle or hire out.

As part of the above what are the minimum tools needed. maybe even a Victron component give away or solar package from someone. We all like Blue here

Second topic is a 101 on Lithium battery basics and what is actually needed like the correct charger profile etc.

Third topic is a 101 on tires and suspension maintenance.

Think I have said enough - back to my corner.

Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            To help focus our seminar planning, we are working toward three broad categories.
            Please consider these when thinking about seminar topics that would interest you.

1) Service & Maintenance
            3) RV Living & Travel

Rob

I'm with Keith with for a solar presentation...... "Solar for the stupid" and I'll be sitting front row center going .
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

One of the topics I think needs to be addressed at every rally is how to bypass problems with systems such as the hydraulic landing gear/stabilizers, or slide mechanisms. Those seem to be recurring questions in the forums.
              Patrick & Marla Hansen
              Boomer, Sooner and Gizmo
              2014 Solitude 368RD

Comment

Jim - thank you, and the other Mods. for reaching out on this topic.

This forum gets many many many questions from folks asking about wiring diagram layout schematics. GDRV does not have these as has been shared by the Mods. almost on a daily basis. Yes, we know GDRV does not use wire looms or have a std. layout with diagram to share but certainly there is a high degree of installation consistency for what wires go where, used for what, colors designated for what, gauge used for what, and much more.

A huge growing number of Folks are really wanting to know (or need) this information to learn and make informed safe decisions about electrical enhancements they may be or are doing to address the demands for solar installation/modifications, the growing use of electronic devises, the need to trouble shoot issues, etc.

Off grid is becoming more popular for many reasons and this trend looks to escalate in the years ahead. Armed with electrical information for our RVs is important for owners and will ultimately benefit GDRV is reduced numbers of owners calling Customer Service with questions, questions for dealers, questions for the forum, resulting in more satisfied owners and other stakeholders.......maybe dare I even say more "GDRV Owners 4Life."

Having sessions to inform folks of these "standards" would be very helpful and appreciated. It may be necessary to have separate team members for various lines/models due to the differences among these.

Dan
                Last edited by Canyonlight; 05-07-2021, 10:17 AM.
                Dan & Carol
                2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

One topic that I believe would be well received is "Boondocking - tips and tricks".

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

General appliance maintenance. Water heaters, water pumps, fridge, AC.....frequency and easy tips and tricks.
                    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

General maintenance is always covered and should continue to be there. With so many 1st timers last rally and presumably this one too, it's good to cover the basics. Although many of us have heard it a time or two the A, B, C's of owning a camper can't be stressed enough. Plus the water heater guy usually gives out free anode rods.

Comment

Originally posted by phansen View Post
                        One of the topics I think needs to be addressed at every rally is how to bypass problems with systems such as the hydraulic landing gear/stabilizers, or slide mechanisms. Those seem to be recurring questions in the forums.
                        A Lippert tech should do this, as well as emphasize their trouble shoot phone #. We sometimes post a problem on a forum and wait for a helpful answer when help is just a phone call away.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

1) Service & Maintenance
                          3) RV Living & Travel

Rob

Personally I am always interested in storage solutions. We end up carrying a lot of stuff so purchasing holders, bins, racks in the underneath storage ect.

'17 F-150 3.5TT | '21 Grand Design 2800BH

Comment

Originally posted by phansen View Post
                            Agreed, title of the seminar should be, "What to do when things go wrong"

Tom & Linda
                            Coach: 2021 Solitude 378MBS
                            Tow Vehicle: TBD
                            Georgetown ON Canada

Comment

After seeing TucsonJim post on cellular boost. Seems like a good topic for the rally. With more and more of everything being done online, I am sure a lot of people could use some guidance. Would probably take too long to go in depth, but basics would be a start.
                              2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
                              Traded 2021 Reflection 337
                              2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
                              Formerly M&K337

Comment

Working...
                              X