Feedback from the Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GDRV-MattChupp View Post
    boyscout Good observation. Just changed it per your suggestion. Let me know if it passes the squint test.
    Better thanks Matt but still on my latest-greatest iPad Pro it's not as obvious as it could be and is probably more challenging on older and smaller devices. It would be obvious on everything if you'd consider doing a full color reversal - main balloon in solid red with compass in white - which would pop out of any screen. But thanks for making the change, it is better.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

For the third time, a post I've written has been system-flagged as possible spam needing moderator approval. While the mods have been quick about approving the posts it's frustrating to be trying to help someone and have my post go into limbo for a while.

What is it about my posts that triggers this spam flagging? Is it my hair? The fact that I'm a conservative? What?!
      Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post
        For the third time, a post I've written has been system-flagged as possible spam needing moderator approval. While the mods have been quick about approving the posts it's frustrating to be trying to help someone and have my post go into limbo for a while.

What is it about my posts that triggers this spam flagging? Is it my hair? The fact that I'm a conservative? What?!
        I approved the post and tried to find a reason for it not being approved and could not see any reason for this. Hopefully Matt will see this and maybe shed some light on the subject. If this happens again please send a PM to myself or one of the other mods that may be online so we can get it approved asap. I apologize for this there have been some changes as you can see that have happened this past week and I am not sure if something that changed has changed other things that it should not have (if that makes sense).

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

Maybe it is your hair color.

That is strange, can you link me to your post? The only thing I can think of is maybe there are words that are triggering it. I can look at that and the spam filter to see.

Thanks for your participation and patience.

Comment

Matt

Post number 2 is the one in question.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...verter-install

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hmmm...hard to tell from that. We do have a spam filter that sets a "score" to each post between 1-100. I set it to be a little less sensitive. Let's see how that goes.

Comment

GDRV , Could we have back the number of members? This used to be at the bottom of the home page. Was nice to see the membership grow.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

So i am sure many of you have noticed a few changes in the home page of this forum. We are trying to come up with a home page that allows the members to navigate to where they wish to be in an easy fashion. This forum was started with the "Only Technical" format but from feedback has grown to add a "General" discussion area. We are trying to come up with a way to separate these two for ease of use and moderation. It may look a little archaic but this is a work in progress so please bear with us and of course we welcome your input.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                    So i am sure many of you have noticed a few changes in the home page of this forum. We are trying to come up with a home page that allows the members to navigate to where they wish to be in an easy fashion. This forum was started with the "Only Technical" format but from feedback has grown to add a "General" discussion area. We are trying to come up with a way to separate these two for ease of use and moderation. It may look a little archaic but this is a work in progress so please bear with us and of course we welcome your input. Brian
                    Brian, you've invited more feedback without first deleting my account... most wouldn't have done that!

In my opinion the initial determination to make this place technical-only was extremely short-sighted. Making it a broader community square is not only good for broader brand development but also good because higher participation makes it a better place to come to for quick and usually-reliable technical information. The technical-only determination was also doomed to failure because it would be nearly impossible to enforce it.

It's now looking as though that determination has been worn down at least somewhat and good sense is starting to win. However I remain confused about and critical of the idea that this place has to have two streams, a technical forum and a GDRV4LIFE forum. As the enormous success of other forums has shown, a single forum for everyone who shares interest in the product, with well-chosen headings and sub-groups (though not too many of them!), maximizes participation. The (presumed) fear that the forum generally will drift wildly off track if it's not rigidly separated and structured doesn't seem to be borne up by facts and experience, especially when the forum has good and attentive moderators as this one does.

If someone still has a gun to your head about maintaining this separation, then I think you've done about as well as you could with designing the home page for it. However, as an example of the participation-sapping risk I'm talking about, I've already changed my stored link for the site to go directly to the "technical" forum so I don't have to load the home page and then click the link on the right side to get there. I will see the GDRV4LIFE content much more rarely than I would if it was amalgamated into the rest of the forum. It should be.

Other forums I participate in don't roar with complaints about how everything - the hardware/technical stuff and the more-social stuff - is available from a single menu of choices. I submit that the person or persons who think this one would for some reason be different should spend time elsewhere before cementing that choice in this place.

Finally, I'll take another run at getting more-visible indicators on threads that have new content in them. The change from red to black on the thinly-drawn line drawings used is still too subtle IMO. Other old folks with fading eyesight might also complain if they could read the small font used here. Yeah, that's ANOTHER complaint!
                    Last edited by boyscout; 09-10-2019, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• howson
                      howson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mark,
                      Your comments are much appreciated. To be honest not all agree with them...thus we have what we have.

I'm just glad to be a part of it all--flaws and all.

-Howard

Just curious. What do the "bars' below a members name signify?
                    First thought was post count but the math doesn't seem to work.

Thanks.
                    Robert and Chris
                    2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
                    2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Bob View Post
                      Just curious. What do the "bars' below a members name signify?
                      First thought was post count but the math doesn't seem to work.

Thanks.
                      It's a feature of our V-bulletin software package that has little meaning. It's called the "reputation bar". It's supposed purpose is to recognize significant contributors to a forum. There is a mysterious algorithm that the software uses that counts posts and how many likes a user gets.

It's a feature of our forum by default, but we don't use it.

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK
                      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

It's a feature of our V-bulletin software package that has little meaning. It's called the "reputation bar". It's supposed purpose is to recognize significant contributors to a forum. There is a mysterious algorithm that the software uses that counts posts and how many likes a user gets.

It's a feature of our forum by default, but we don't use it.

Jim
                        Interesting.
                        Thanks.
                        Robert and Chris
                        2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
                        2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

Being as Howard , howson , is on a roll adding some items to make the Forum a more usable place I was just thinking ( I know , don't think it weakens the team).

Is there any other items that the members would like to see added or removed to make this Forum better?

Please remember that this is a Technical Forum.

Thank you in advanced.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I would love to see a hover option when looking at thread titles. That way we could see what the thread was about without having to open the thread.
                            2019 Ford F250 Lariat Diesel
                            2019 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

We all know that if you own an RV you will be learning to do some of the tweak and/or repair work yourself. Some more, some less. How about a recommended tools area? Tools that people have found to work really well for RV specific applications? For example "We found this floor water detector by 'xyz' and it works great. Found at 'abc store' for $15.
                              I could be mistaken but I think people come to a technical forum to learn how to fix it themselves. It would be nice to know what the more 'accomplished' DIY'ers are using for tools. Personally I like to buy the good tool first rather than buy a few that turn out to be, well, crap.

Maybe within the reference material for each heading?
                              Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 12-10-2020, 11:43 AM.
                              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                              Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Working...
                              X