5th Wheel Hitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th Wheel Hitch

Purchasing GD 337RLS, will be towing with 2022 F250 with the 6.9 bed. Is a slide hitch necessary to make turns and keep it clear of the back window? or can I go with a fixed hitch?

Thanks!

I towed a 337 with an F350 short bed for a few years. I put a couple of minor dents in the cab by trying to turn too tight in a gas station.

BTW, welcome to the technical forum. This welcome letter might make your forum navigation a little easier.
    https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by bbtrucky View Post
      Is a slide hitch necessary to make turns and keep it clear of the back window?
      Only if you turn too tight :-)

I'm super paranoid about hitting the cab of my truck in sharp turns. If I start backing at too sharp of an angle, I just pull forward and resume the backing procedure. If I get into a situation where I'm past 45 degrees, I have my wife watch the cab as I back up. As cautious as I am, I doubt I'll ever hit my cab but I'm very much aware that everybody that has hit their cab felt the same way. I would say if you tend to get distracted more easily than others or don't have severe paranoia about destroying your rear window, get a slider.
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

I too am super paranoid, and pulling a 5th wheel is very new for me. I feel a lot better having a slider hitch on my Chevy SB truck.
        Elke and Heinz
        2018 Chevy 3500 SRW Duramax SB
        2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

I believe the Ford bed is similar to the GM in that the length was extended to accommodate the non slider 5th wheel hitch. The factory mount system was also moved back a few inches. As long as your hitch is bolted together using the rear most mounts it should clear fine. GM changed the trucks when the 2020 models came out so a slider hitch would not be needed. My 2021 Silverado has plenty of room with a standard hitch for our 337, We are using a Curt A16
          I would check the weight capacity on the F250, that trailer is heavy up front.
          Last edited by familytruckster4; 07-31-2021, 08:15 AM.
          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

We have the Andersen, with the cup forward, on our 6’9” 350. No problems with clearance on our 303RLS which, I believe, is quite similar to the 337.
            Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
            Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
            2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
            Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
            Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

We have the Anderson also cup forward and almost a 90 deg turn. I did all the testing cup aft and forward in a parking lot, I have plenty of clearance on the side rails also. You still need to watch with heavily bad terrain backing in.
              2021 Reflection 303RLS
              2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
              Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Thanks all, appreciate the input and suggestions!

Bret

Comment

I put out 2 back windows using a Reese goosebox. No structural damage but i'm sure the insurance is wondering how i keep busting out the back window. I am looking for another pin box to go with my superslide hitch.
                  Michael Skiba
                  Reflection 367BHS
                  Ford Superduty diesel

Comment

Skiba I just upgraded to the MorRyde rubber pin box. Have not towed with it yet, but hoping it helps with a few of the jerking motions during certain turning angles with the super slide. I think Pullrite could have done a better job on the guideway that the roller runs in to minimize the slop. Also I think the guideway is not thick enough as I can see yielding (mushrooming) of the guideway.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                    X