Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing Posts

To all Members.

Please take a moment to proof read your post before posting. There is some kind of glitch or setting that we have not found yet that we think causes a post to be labeled "Un-Approved" after you edit your post that you have just posted ( if that makes sense). When your post is un-approved no one but the moderators can see the post.

So please take a moment and proof read carefully.

Thank you
    Last edited by Country Campers; 11-26-2019, 06:45 PM.
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

And if your post shows as unapproved, the moderators can approve it just as soon as they see it.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      To all Members. Please take a moment to proof read your post before posting. There is some kind of glitch or setting that we have not found yet that we think causes a post to be labeled "Un-Approved" after you edit your post that you have just posted ( if that makes sense). When your post is un-approved no one but the moderators can see the post. So please take a moment and proof read carefully. Thank you
      Brian, you may have been tempted to name me in this post. I frequently edit after posting and have seen the glitch a few times. Will try to accommodate your request to publish only final proofs, but this feeble brain may still need to edit posts so I hope you'll keep looking for the glitch.

A suggestion: increase the time during which editing can occur without FLAGGING the post as being edited. Some sites I use allow editing for five minutes, which covers most sins without increasing risk significantly. (There's also a chance that the glitch here is related to the time-since-last-edit algorithms, so it might be seen less-frequently.)

I have carefully proof-read this post before clicking Post Reply, but can't guarantee that I won't be editing it.

Thanks.
      Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

That's a really good idea Mark. I'll check into it when I get home later today.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

boyscout

Mark
          As you can see I had to edit the original post , thanks to howson , for my grammar mistake.(feeble minds think alike). If the mods do not see a post in time everyone may miss something good.

I looked as far as I can and I can not find anything to help the situation , but others may have better luck.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post
            A suggestion: increase the time during which editing can occur without FLAGGING the post as being edited. Some sites I use allow editing for five minutes, which covers most sins without increasing risk significantly. (There's also a chance that the glitch here is related to the time-since-last-edit algorithms, so it might be seen less-frequently.)
            Mark,
            The "time to edit post" setting is set to 0, which means it is unlimited. Like Brian, I can't find any setting which limits the number of times a post can be edited. We only have limited access to admin settings, though, so it may exist but we just can't see it.

Thank you for the suggestion! Please don't hesitate to chime in (or PM one of us) if you can think of anything else.

-Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              Mark, The "time to edit post" setting is set to 0, which means it is unlimited. Like Brian, I can't find any setting which limits the number of times a post can be edited. We only have limited access to admin settings, though, so it may exist but we just can't see it. Thank you for the suggestion! Please don't hesitate to chime in (or PM one of us) if you can think of anything else. -Howard
              Thanks to you and Country Campers for looking. The setting I was talking about (which may not exist in this software) was not a setting to limit the number of times a post has been edited but a setting to determine when the flag "Last edited by [user] [date] [time]" appears on the message. Here, that seems to be about a minute, and my saving edited messages shortly (about a minute maybe?) after originally posting them has triggered the spam blocker several times. Other sites I use allow me about five minutes for my brain to catch up with the text I've typed.

P.S. I edited this message and will now resave it about a minute after first posting it. We'll see what happens! OK, nothing, saving again. More than a minute now, saving again. OK, got the flag that time, so theory not proven. But Brian's right, all but once when my posts have been spam-blocked it has been when I saved them after editing. Only the first time it happened did it happen on an original post.
              Last edited by boyscout; 11-28-2019, 10:10 AM.
              Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Thanks to you and Country Campers for looking. The setting I was talking about (which may not exist in this software) was not a setting to limit the number of times a post has been edited but a setting to determine when the flag "Last edited by [user] [date] [time]" appears on the message. Here, that seems to be about a minute, and my saving edited messages shortly (about a minute maybe?) after originally posting them has triggered the spam blocker several times. Other sites I use allow me about five minutes for my brain to catch up with the text I've typed.

P.S. I edited this message and will now resave it about a minute after first posting it. We'll see what happens! OK, nothing, saving again. More than a minute now, saving again.
                Interesting. So it may not be the number of times a post is edited but how soon the post is edited after posting? Unfortunately there's nothing I can see (a setting) to adjust. It may exist in vB5, but access is restricted from yours truly. The "real" admins need to keep me on a leash.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I had a similar problem on a ubiquiti forum where I edited right after posting and the post was marked a spam.
                  Wonder if it is related to the Akismet anti-spam service mentioned at vbulletin-5 forum:
                  Posts being marked as spam after editing.
                  Akismet is causing us to have to approve lots of legitimate posts from long term users that we didn't have to deal with back in vbr.
                  Gene and Kim
                  2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                  2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
                    I had a similar problem on a ubiquiti forum where I edited right after posting and the post was marked a spam.
                    Wonder if it is related to the Akismet anti-spam service mentioned at vbulletin-5 forum:
                    Posts being marked as spam after editing.
                    Akismet is causing us to have to approve lots of legitimate posts from long term users that we didn't have to deal with back in vbr.
                    Promoting members (like yourself) to a different usergroup that bypasses the spam filter looks like an excellent solution. Especially if the process of promoting a user is automated so after xx posts the spam filter is no longer applicable.

GDRV-Tom and/or : Gandolf (um, I mean Gene) has pointed us to a potential solution to the unapproved posts problem. Here's a thread with more information: https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...-spam-checking

Thanks, Gene!

FYI
                    TucsonJim
                    Cate&Rob
                    Country Campers
                    Andi
                    Barefootchelle
                    GDRV-Megan
                    GDRV-Emily

Comment

TucsonJim, howson, Country Campers Here's a cute little bug!

Earlier today the spam blocker triggered (first time for me in a while) after I made a small change to a post and saved it. I think Howard approved it, thanks, and it no longer showed as blocked.

However hours later I've just pulled down My Recent Posts and that one, my most recent, does not appear in the list.

Computers were invented to save us time and frustration.

Comment

TucsonJim, howson, Country Campers Here's a cute little bug!

Earlier today the spam blocker triggered (first time for me in a while) after I made a small change to a post and saved it. I think Howard approved it, thanks, and it no longer showed as blocked.

However hours later I've just pulled down My Recent Posts and that one, my most recent, does not appear in the list.

Computers were invented to save us time and frustration.
                        Say it isn't so--a bug in vB5? Can't be. Surely you're exaggerating.

Comment

Working...
                        X