No announcement yet.

Separate switch to control the front Jacks of Lippert level up 6 jack system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separate switch to control the front Jacks of Lippert level up 6 jack system

I store my 5th wheel (2020 Solitude 310GK) next to a building that is so close, I cannot open the door to access the Lippert level up control panel. I would like to add a separate external switch that would control just the two front jacks so I can connect and disconnect my truck. As far as I can tell a remote is not available for the Lippert level up 6 jack system. Thoughts? Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Keith and Lisa
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Duramax Diesel

Originally posted by Keith M View Post
    I store my 5th wheel (2020 Solitude 310GK) next to a building that is so close, I cannot open the door to access the Lippert level up control panel. I would like to add a separate external switch that would control just the two front jacks so I can connect and disconnect my truck. As far as I can tell a remote is not available for the Lippert level up 6 jack system. Thoughts? Any ideas would be appreciated.
    From a YouTube video it shows the control pad for the Level Up system attached to the inside of the pass-thru storage door, street side. (Where the Nautilus panel is located.) There is a harness that connects that control panel to the actual control box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	control pad.JPG
Views:	847
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	17625

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring Harness.JPG
Views:	2391
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	17626

One suggestion is to move the control pad to the front "basement" (I think that what you 5vr owners call it). If the original harness won't reach, buy a second (new) harness from Lippert and then splice in longer wires as needed. This way the original harness is preserved for reinstallation of the control pad to the original location as desired. You could even ask Lippert to make you a custom harness at the length you need. Doesn't hurt to ask!

How feasible it is to run wires from the passthru to the front basement I don't know.

There's a dozen other possibilities along the same idea. For example, install a second control pad with an "A/B" switch in the front basement to select which control pad powers the control box.

Again, do all the mods with aftermarket-purchased harnesses. (Don't splice the OEM supplied harness--so you have a fall back if something goes haywire.)

The first thing to do, though, is call Lippert and ask for their advice with your conundrum. They may have a solution. 574-537-8900

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howson. thanks for the the great information and thought starters. I did take your advice and called Lippert. They were very helpful. After talking to the tech at lippert I think I have two good options. The first option is one of your suggestions. Relocate the touch pad to a different area on the rig. . If the factory installed wire harness won't reach, Lippert sells a 130 inch harness (part # 232937) for $40.95. The con to this choice is that I will have to go to the other side of the rig or crawl into the front storage area when hitching. The other option I am considering is to add a second touch panel (part# 421484) (Lippert $274.95 Amazon $220). I would run an additional wire harness to the control panel and leave it unhooked from the control panel side until I need to put it in storage. The harness is a simple quick connect that I can easily access. The lippert tech confirmed that all the leveling memory, etc is stored in the control module, so switching between two touch panels will not cause any problems. Thanks again for all help!
      Keith and Lisa

Comment

Keith M
        Hi Keith,
        If you can access the right side of your Solitude when in storage, why not move, or add a second control panel on that side of the pass through storage?
        Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The "touch panel" is the panel mounted to the cargo door that you use to level hook up etc. My second option was to add a second touch panel and wire harness, but I failed to mention that I would mount it on the right/door side of the rig. Then I would just plug in the wire harness of the touch panel I was planning to use at the control module . Hope that makes sense.
          Keith and Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by Keith M View Post
            The "touch panel" is the panel mounted to the cargo door that you use to level hook up etc. My second option was to add a second touch panel and wire harness, but I failed to mention that I would mount it on the right/door side of the rig. Then I would just plug in the wire harness of the touch panel I was planning to use at the control module . Hope that makes sense.
            Perhaps not relevant on the 6 jack model. I have the same problem when I put my trailer next to my house. The door where the controls are is about 1 foot from my side fence, so I cannot access the control panel. I have a 4 jack model. The system as was installed on mine allows the remove to be used. So I purchased the remote. I don't like the limited controls on the remote, but it will allow me to remotely drop the front jacks and raise the trailer to disconnect. So this accomplishes what I need. The remote would also control Lippert Awnings and slides, but my trailer does not seem to have the controls for those items that will allow remote operation.

Note that the remote was a bit expensive if I remember correctly.
            Tony G
            2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
            2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
            KTM 250XC

Comment

Originally posted by tgodrich View Post

Perhaps not relevant on the 6 jack model. I have the same problem when I put my trailer next to my house. The door where the controls are is about 1 foot from my side fence, so I cannot access the control panel. I have a 4 jack model. The system as was installed on mine allows the remove to be used. So I purchased the remote. I don't like the limited controls on the remote, but it will allow me to remotely drop the front jacks and raise the trailer to disconnect. So this accomplishes what I need. The remote would also control Lippert Awnings and slides, but my trailer does not seem to have the controls for those items that will allow remote operation.

Note that the remote was a bit expensive if I remember correctly.
              Tony,
              Thanks for the post. There's an interesting YouTube video that shows how to check the controller to see if it is compatible with a remote. What to look for is the antenna (a wire hanging down).

Howard

--break--

GDRV-Megan and/or GDRV-Emily -- product suggestion. Have Lippert incorporate bluetooth connectivity in the Ground Control controller and provide an app users can load on their phone to use the Ground Control 3.0 system. There are a lot of examples of this concept incorporated into RV products (the LevelMatePro, Victron's BMV-712 battery monitor or any of Victron's Smart Solar MPPT controllers, etc).
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

At this time reflection line is utilizing a Bluetooth system similar to one control (on momentum line only right now) called compass connect. It allows you to operate some features from your phone including leveling đź‘Ť GDRV-Megan howson

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Emily View Post
                  At this time reflection line is utilizing a Bluetooth system similar to one control (on momentum line only right now) called compass connect. It allows you to operate some features from your phone including leveling đź‘Ť GDRV-Megan howson
                  Well shoot. Day late and a dollar short as they say. Amazing what Google will find with just a few search words.

https://www.lci1.com/grand-design-re...rol-technology

https://www.lci1.com/onecontrol
                  Last edited by howson; 05-05-2020, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Keith M -- would be interesting to know if the Compass Connect can be incorporated into your existing Ground Control to solve your problem.

Check out this video: https://assets.lci1.com/product-asse...Up_HD05_ZP.mp4

Comment

howson Keith M it will take quite a bit of wiring to get that compass incorporated.... which could be labor intensive. I thought.... and don't quote me, but at one time, LCI could sell the remote and the remote ready brain controller together. You could remove old brain, mount new one. Reprogram 0 point and set up remote. HOWEVER... that was a long time ago HAHA not sure if it is still an option

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Emily View Post
                        howson Keith M it will take quite a bit of wiring to get that compass incorporated.... which could be labor intensive. I thought.... and don't quote me, but at one time, LCI could sell the remote and the remote ready brain controller together. You could remove old brain, mount new one. Reprogram 0 point and set up remote. HOWEVER... that was a long time ago HAHA not sure if it is still an option
                        Thanks, Emily.

Keith M
                        One more idea. I wonder if Lippert will sell a replacement control unit (the one with the antenna that comes in the aftermarket kit) and also sell you a remote without having to purchase the whole kit. This idea is predicated on the assumption* (please verify!) that the aftermarket control unit is 100% compatible with the OEM version (connectors, etc) GD installed. If so it might be an easy replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Thanks, Emily.

Keith M
                          One more idea. I wonder if Lippert will sell a replacement control unit (the one with the antenna that comes in the aftermarket kit) and also sell you a remote without having to purchase the whole kit. This idea is predicated on the assumption* (please verify!) that the aftermarket control unit is 100% compatible with the OEM version (connectors, etc) GD installed. If so it might be an easy replacement.
                          That actually is the kit. It is the controller and remote. No other wiring or anything. Just those two items. At least, it used to be. Also... it probably is not an actual "kit". That is just what I called it

Comment

Thanks for all the feed back. I talked to LCI this morning. They did confirm that I could upgrade to the control module that supports the remote control unit. The control module is easy to access and it would not require any special rewiring. My understanding is, that it would be a "plug-n-play" install. I would have to purchase the control module and the remote, so it would push the cost over $600. A search on line might yield a a better price. I do believe the new control panel would allow me to control the slides with the remote control, a nice bonus! I'm not sure what i'm going to do yet.. I only put the rig in storage a couple of times per year, (rather be out traveling!) so it might not be the worth the cost.
                            Keith and Lisa

Comment

Working...
                            X