Hydraulic fluid leaking on jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic fluid leaking on jack

Anyone know the procedure for replacing seals and such to correct a hydraulic fluid leak on a front jack ?
    Level of difficulty ?

If you can take a picture I might be able to figure out the fitting. However have you tried to tighten it yet. It may just be loose. If the fitting has two nuts, one each side of the union you will need two crescent wrenches to properly tighten. Remember righty tighty and lefty loosee (clockwise tighten - counter clockwise loosens). Also if you post your model number we might be able to look it up.

While I don't have hydraulics on my trailer my tractor and farm equipment have a lot of them. Some are just compression type (no o-ring) while others are what are called o-ring boss that do have an 0-ring. No mater what the type it takes two wrenches so you don't break things - don't ask how I know

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubadude View Post
      Anyone know the procedure for replacing seals and such to correct a hydraulic fluid leak on a front jack ? Level of difficulty ?
      Scubadude how did this end up for you?

I ask because the seal at the top of one of our middle jacks blew completely spraying oil everywhere and affecting all hydraulics. We were grounded for nearly a week. Grand Design sent a new jack and paid for a local technician to install it, under warranty.
      Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

• Scubadude
        Scubadude commented
        Editing a comment
        It will covered under warranty as a full replacement of the jack. Not advised to try and rebuild them although some have done it

This is my first post and I see these posts are from last year, but I have been dealing with Hydraulics leaks almost since I purchased my 2019 Solitude 310 GK-R in September 2018. During the first year of ownership while it was still under warranty, it was in the shop three times for leaking hydraulic fluid on the door side front jack. The dealer tried to fix the problem by replacing hoses and the jack and I think the pump, also. In November 2019 after the warranty had expired it started leaking again. I contacted Grand Design and they agreed to pay for the repair again. A mobile RV repair service came out and said two of the hoses were leaking again and should be replaced. This had been done before and obviously did not fix it. I was afraid that was all they would pay for and I do not know if that would fix it. There seams to be too much pressure on those two hoses, since they keep leaking. I decided to file on the Lemon Law. I filed it and notified Grand Design. They are now in the process of replacing the entire hydraulic system. But because of the current pandemic, they can not finish it.

Comment

Originally posted by fyre76 View Post
        This is my first post and I see these posts are from last year, but I have been dealing with Hydraulics leaks almost since I purchased my 2019 Solitude 310 GK-R in September 2018. During the first year of ownership while it was still under warranty, it was in the shop three times for leaking hydraulic fluid on the door side front jack. The dealer tried to fix the problem by replacing hoses and the jack and I think the pump, also. In November 2019 after the warranty had expired it started leaking again. I contacted Grand Design and they agreed to pay for the repair again. A mobile RV repair service came out and said two of the hoses were leaking again and should be replaced. This had been done before and obviously did not fix it. I was afraid that was all they would pay for and I do not know if that would fix it. There seams to be too much pressure on those two hoses, since they keep leaking. I decided to file on the Lemon Law. I filed it and notified Grand Design. They are now in the process of replacing the entire hydraulic system. But because of the current pandemic, they can not finish it.
        That is unfortunate that this is an ongoing issue. I have not heard of any of the 310GK owners , or any of the others with hydraulic jacks having such a problem with there unit. I am not saying that it is not possible just have not heard a lot about it. Hopefully GD gets you fixed up and back on the road again , these times are hard on us all.

If you have any pictures that you could share of the problem areas that would be great to help others on what to watch for.

Brian

PS. Welcome to the forum.
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Our 2020 Solitude 344GK sitting on pad at the home twenty...began leaking hydraulic fluid at the fwd starboard landing gear late yesterday. About a quart got out before I could get my pickup under her and retract the gear. Hasn't leaked since...but...I feel like it's blown a seal...and worry that getting her into McClains shop would be an exercise in futility...

Comment

Originally posted by planojones View Post
            Our 2020 Solitude 344GK sitting on pad at the home twenty...began leaking hydraulic fluid at the fwd starboard landing gear late yesterday. About a quart got out before I could get my pickup under her and retract the gear. Hasn't leaked since...but...I feel like it's blown a seal...and worry that getting her into McClains shop would be an exercise in futility...
            Mine (Momentum 388) Click image for larger version

Name:	Port front cylinder-marked 4-26-20.jpg
Views:	1317
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	18150is leaking same place at bottom of cylinder. I also noticed the teflon coating on the rod has come off in a few places. My bet would be the gap where the teflon should be is cutting the oring when it passes over it. Tried to get my dealer's attention with the problem and all I get are crickets.

Comment

I would at this point tend to agree...looking at pic you've shared. Maybe you should get that pic and description to the folks at the plant up North?

Comment

Originally posted by planojones View Post
                I would at this point tend to agree...looking at pic you've shared. Maybe you should get that pic and description to the folks at the plant up North?
                Neither they (GD) nor Lippert were interested in the problem. They just wanted to sell another complete unit, no parts. Back in the dealer's court now with a little more push.

Comment

I can not see buying a whole new jack. You would think LCI would just sent you a replacement. Its clear the coating is coming off ang affecting the seal. I may be easier to just replace the seal, but with the coating issue I think it would cause the same issue.
                  2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn CC,LB, DRW

2021 Momentum 397TH-R

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnErtha View Post
                    I can not see buying a whole new jack. You would think LCI would just sent you a replacement. Its clear the coating is coming off ang affecting the seal. I may be easier to just replace the seal, but with the coating issue I think it would cause the same issue.
                    Can't even get seal parts from LCI. All they sell is the complete unit from what I have understood. If I cannot find any help from GD I will try a hydraulic shop or Frankenstein a new cylinder on my own.

Comment

Originally posted by sgrol60 View Post

Can't even get seal parts from LCI. All they sell is the complete unit from what I have understood. If I cannot find any help from GD I will try a hydraulic shop or Frankenstein a new cylinder on my own.
                      That's what I was thinking. A hydraulic shop would be your best bet. I highly doubt GD would carry those parts on hand, but I could be wrong

2021 Momentum 397TH-R

Comment

IMHO the hydraulic jacks are throw away items that are not intended to be repaired. We had a slight leak on one of our stabilizing jacks when we first took delivery and my thought was that the packing retaining ring needed to be tightened. Instead the whole jack was replaced (under warranty).
                        John
                        2018 Momentum 395M
                        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                          IMHO the hydraulic jacks are throw away items that are not intended to be repaired.
                          I would agree with previous comments that a GDRV/LCI resolution to this would be to replace the entire unit with a new production jack.
                          A hydraulic shop could likely come up with the seal(s) you need, but with the unrepairable damage to the piston coating, a seal replacement will be short lived.

BTW, these jacks are manufactured in an LCI Indiana plant. I would think that they would be interested in investigating why the coating that they applied to the part that they machined . . . is coming off.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

I would agree with previous comments that a GDRV/LCI resolution to this would be to replace the entire unit with a new production jack.
                            A hydraulic shop could likely come up with the seal(s) you need, but with the unrepairable damage to the piston coating, a seal replacement will be short lived.

BTW, these jacks are manufactured in an LCI Indiana plant. I would think that they would be interested in investigating why the coating that they applied to the part that they machined . . . is coming off.

Rob
                            You would think they would look into it. I don't know how common the problem is with the coating coming off or was that just a fluke

2021 Momentum 397TH-R

Comment

Working...
                            X