Front 5th wheel jack head popping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front 5th wheel jack head popping

So I could hear a gear popping noise when I lifted my 2020 29rs 5th wheel this evening and when I opened the front cargo bin I noticed the passenger side jack head shaking and popping. I check the bolts on the head and they seem tight and look to be as screwed in as the other side. I sent an email to grand design but figured maybe someone has had this problem before.
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 07-24-2020, 07:28 PM. Reason: Fixed Spelling Error

Welcome to the forum!! As far as the gear pooping, I can only suggest Pampers or it can hit a spot, puppy pads. I'm not sure about yours, but it may be a misalignment of the gears or a lack of lubrication.
    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by Rareform View Post
      So I could hear a gear pooping noise when I lifted my 2020 29rs 5th wheel this evening and when I opened the front cargo bin I noticed the passenger side jack head shaking and popping. I check the bolts on the head and they seem tight and look to be as screwed in as the other side. I sent an email to grand design but figured maybe someone has had this problem before.
      I have the 2018 model and have not heard this. Definately a call to customer service is warranted if the motor is shaking. Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

So far all I can say is I’m not impressed with the famous grand design customer service. 1st I sent email with not response so when I called I spoke to Sara I emailed her a video of my problem and haven’t received a response.

Comment

So far all I can say is I’m not impressed with the famous grand design customer service. 1st I sent email with not response so when I called I spoke to Sara I emailed her a video of my problem and haven’t received a response.
          Regarding the popping, There really isn't anyway to lubricate the gear head that I know of. You can try lubricating the shaft with some silicone lubricant to see if that helps.

I'm not making excuses for GDRV, but understand, they are being a little overwhelmed right now. Since the start of the virus, RV sales have skyrocketed. Lead times on new RVs are a minimum of 6-8 weeks. And many dealerships are trying to keep their employees and customers safe by eliminating or minimizing the new vehicle orientation. So when a brand new owner has a question, they are calling customer service to figure out how to turn on the stove, or light the water heater. So try an bear with them. They know it's a problem and they're trying to react as quickly as they can. In the mean time, I'm going to flag one of the GDRV employees here on the forum so they might be able to check on the status of your request.

GDRV-Megan Can you please check to see the status of this request. But it may be difficult without a name or VIN.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I have no personal experience with this, but I have watched this video a few times and thought if mine ever started banging I would give it a try. Seems to make sense. Towards the end he shows a piece of tubing he made up that goes over the screw to lubricate all the threads in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emcOISsW2PA
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I have a video however I’m unable to upload it here. The whole head rocks back and forth and the popping is the gears slipping as the head rocks. I just don’t want to take it apart until I hear from grand design on how they want to handle it. I have no problem with removing the jack to repair or replace it. Just don’t want to get the you shouldn’t have touched it response.
              forgot to add I bought the unit about a month ago it was built in February of 2020 29rs

Comment

Sarah has been working on getting to the bottom of this. She has reached out to LCI and is waiting on a reply from them. As TucsonJim stated, our entire industry is working at double speed, with half of the bodies currently. I know that when COVID hit, LCI had to furlough many employees, and they have yet to bring everyone back. Even though the industry is booming.

I will bump Sarah to see if she can reach out to you today. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X