Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting height of rear leveling jacks on a new Reflection 150 260RD

First post
    I just picked up my new 5th wheel and as I was backing hit a curb with the leveling jack, bending it .I wish the rear jacks were the same as the front with a retractable foot to the center of the wheel, this would fix the angle to the tire.

Originally posted by scotfree View Post
    First post
    I just picked up my new 5th wheel and as I was backing hit a curb with the leveling jack, bending it .I wish the rear jacks were the same as the front with a retractable foot to the center of the wheel, this would fix the angle to the tire.
    Welcome. Sorry that this is your first post.

Yes the rear jacks are pretty low. We have traveled with ours for 3 years and have not yet hit anything with them. When we first purchased I looked at the jacks and wanted to raise them , no luck there. I also thought of designing a pivot mechanism to rotate them up 90 degrees , no luck there either. Lippert has not changed these and I wish something could be done with them.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks Brian,
      I had those same thoughts about a pivoting base, sliding base like the front, not sure what to think, we got the small unit so we can get into the same spots as always.
      might take them off

thank you and stay safe
      Tim

Comment

Originally posted by scotfree View Post
        Thanks Brian,
        I had those same thoughts about a pivoting base, sliding base like the front, not sure what to think, we got the small unit so we can get into the same spots as always.
        might take them off

thank you and stay safe
        Tim
        The picture on GD's website appears to show a 260RD with stabilizers (versus leveling jacks), but the Parts Lookup site does indeed show the Ground Control 3 as part of the trailer.

Out of curiosity, can you check to see if the jacks are within the "departure angle". This is a line from the rear tire to the rear of the trailer (see pic below). The jacks, when fully retracted, should be in the "safe zone" between the line and the trailer. (As pointed out by my fellow moderator Cate&Rob and as you've experienced first hand, even if within this zone it doesn't mean in all circumstances there won't be a problem.)

Also, when you get a chance, check out the Welcome Letter to new members! https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Click image for larger version

Name:	Departure Angle.JPG
Views:	2421
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	29450
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I just bought the same trailer and was concerned about backing over a curb. I was thinking of taking an impact with me to remove the rear jacks or possibly using a cotter pin to easily remove them while driving/parking. A pivot mechanism (hinge of some sort) would be ideal.
          Bryan
          2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
          2021 260RD Reflection 150 Series

Comment

Originally posted by CampingBryan View Post
            I just bought the same trailer and was concerned about backing over a curb. I was thinking of taking an impact with me to remove the rear jacks or possibly using a cotter pin to easily remove them while driving/parking. A pivot mechanism (hinge of some sort) would be ideal.
            Noted this was your first post, Bryan, so when you get a chance please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

To clarify--does your new trailer have the Ground Control system or manual jacks? scotfree didn't post a picture showing the issue, so if you get a chance will you do so? I'm very curious where the jacks are in relation to the "departure angle" (dA). (Note my fellow moderator. Cate&Rob , has noted that even if within the dA that doesn't mean the jacks won't impact something in an unusual scenario.)

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Noted this was your first post, Bryan, so when you get a chance please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

To clarify--does your new trailer have the Ground Control system or manual jacks? scotfree didn't post a picture showing the issue, so if you get a chance will you do so? I'm very curious where the jacks are in relation to the "departure angle" (dA). (Note my fellow moderator. Cate&Rob , has noted that even if within the dA that doesn't mean the jacks won't impact something in an unusual scenario.)

Howard
              Thanks Howard. If his trailer is like mine (sounds like it), the ground control system is about 6" behind the rear tire. At the max height, they are about 6" off the ground (I didn't measure yet). There are about 3 holes above where the jacks are currently mounted, but the jack motor limits the clearance. At the current level with 3 holes above the jack, there is only 1/2' between the top of the jack and the base of the coach.
              Bryan

Comment

Thanks Howard. If his trailer is like mine (sounds like it), the ground control system is about 6" behind the rear tire. At the max height, they are about 6" off the ground (I didn't measure yet). There are about 3 holes above where the jacks are currently mounted, but the jack motor limits the clearance. At the current level with 3 holes above the jack, there is only 1/2' between the top of the jack and the base of the coach.
                I was able to raise the rear ones on my 2020 337RLS 1 hole. I put an additional block under them when I set up but feel much better with it being that little bit higher off the ground.
                Bob P.
                2018 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Dually
                2020 337RLS
                VIN last 8 L3326309

Comment

Originally posted by Bob P View Post

I was able to raise the rear ones on my 2020 337RLS 1 hole. I put an additional block under them when I set up but feel much better with it being that little bit higher off the ground.
                  I will look to see if I can raise mine but it is really tight. I like the idea of creating a cotter pin and removing the jacks while in transit. However, that defeats the purpose of everything being easy when you get to a campsite.
                  Bryan

Comment

I will look to see if I can raise mine but it is really tight. I like the idea of creating a cotter pin and removing the jacks while in transit. However, that defeats the purpose of everything being easy when you get to a campsite.
                    Rather than removing (and disconnecting) the levelling jack, what about a swivel mount that would carry the jack horizontally and keep it connected electrically (or hydraulically). Switching between horizontal and vertical is as simple as pulling and reinserting the pin. Photo of similar idea grabbed from the internet.

Rob

Name:	Swivel Trailer Jack.jpg
Views:	2497
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	39651
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I am currently trying to get some help with my Grand Design 260RD back jacks. I was concerned that they would drag where I go camping. I am a dry camper 90% of the time and travel to my own property which is off road. I was backing out of my driveway for the first time and the one of the rear jacks hit a 1/2" lip of the sidewalk and broke the welds on my rear jack. Please let me state I was going under 3 mph when this happened because i was waiting for traffic to pass so I could back out on the road.
                      I was told by the salesman, the grand design representative and the person doing my walk through that they have never had a problem with them and they were fine for off road.
                      If anyone has a solution to this problem PLEASE let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by Coach53 View Post
                        I am currently trying to get some help with my Grand Design 260RD back jacks. I was concerned that they would drag where I go camping. I am a dry camper 90% of the time and travel to my own property which is off road. I was backing out of my driveway for the first time and the one of the rear jacks hit a 1/2" lip of the sidewalk and broke the welds on my rear jack. Please let me state I was going under 3 mph when this happened because i was waiting for traffic to pass so I could back out on the road.
                        I was told by the salesman, the grand design representative and the person doing my walk through that they have never had a problem with them and they were fine for off road.
                        If anyone has a solution to this problem PLEASE let me know!
                        Not that it matters or helps, but that's a depressing first post!

What Rob suggested in post #10 of this thread is likely one of the only realistic solutions. As he accurately notes, the departure angle is easily intruded upon with any number of obstacles. Given your travel preferences, it seems likely to encounter the same problem if all that's done is return it back to production specs.

Remember--I'm just an owner like you, unlike the others that gave you advice that have a vested interest. I don't have one other than trying to help a fellow owner, so please "don't shoot the messenger".

If you haven't already, please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Comment

I have a 2021 Reflection 150 260RD. I just replaced the rear stabilizers with 2 new ones Grand Design sent me. It seems some of the longer stabilizers were installed from the factory. The longer ones are 24 1/2" long retracted, and mine scraped the driveway while backing uphill. The correct ones they sent are 21 1/2" long retracted. They are left & right specific. Easy to swap out with no setup with the controller.

Comment

Mine in my 260RD are only 3 1/2 " from the ground. How do I get in touch with GD and send them pictures and maybe get shorter jacks installed? This scares me going over speed bumps, or a bad road.

Name:	20210519_132219.jpg
Views:	2118
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	54324Click image for larger version

Name:	20210519_132158.jpg
Views:	2109
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	54325
                            Jacko
                            Central Florida
                            2021 Reflection 150 260RD

Comment

Originally posted by Jacko View Post
                              Mine in my 260RD are only 3 1/2 " from the ground. How do I get in touch with GD and send them pictures and maybe get shorter jacks installed? This scares me going over speed bumps, or a bad road.

Name:	20210519_132219.jpg
Views:	2118
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	54324Click image for larger version

Name:	20210519_132158.jpg
Views:	2109
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	54325
                              Wow--that's not good. I suspect "long" jacks were installed instead of "short" jacks (see parts list below). Can you see if there's a part number on the jack?

From Lippert's website:

Name:	Jacks.JPG
Views:	1842
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	54334

GD Customer Service's phone number and email are on the "business card" (right side of the home page of this forum).

Please let me know if you can find the part #.

Howard

Comment

Working...
                              X