Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Level up will not hold level, limps back to not level with ticking sound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Level up will not hold level, limps back to not level with ticking sound.

How strange, at a potty stop I found one of the mid 6 Point Level Up systems jacks down about 6". In my pre-drive check list is a thing that says all jacks retracted. I check it every single time. Driving off with jacks extended makes a lot of noise. So one down a bit was odd. I retracted it, it stayed retracted. Next night we stayed hitched so only dropped the front jacks to stabilize, not lift.

Got to our site tonight, pretty off kilter, put blocks under the downside because I knew the jacks would "out of stroke" on me. Leveled. Success! Slid the slides, got the water going, got the critters unloaded and DW says, why are we so slanted? So I had a little fun with the phone app and the leveling system. Sat at the picnic table and used manual mode to level the trailer. There was a loud popping/ticking noise coming from the front left jack. Then the trailer would settle. Pump it up, tick tick tick down off level. I did that about three times. The front jacks don't seem to be losing pressure, just the right rear two, low side.

Ok, we have a problem. First thought is a check valve is not checking. Valve or solenoid? Why is the left front jack making the ticking sound when its the right rear jacks not holding pressure?

I cannot find anyplace where fluid is leaking out, I will search more thoroughly, but still have full tank of hydraulic fluid. I have CAT stiction in the system.

One thing different than normal, we made several potty stops that did not have services, so I had isolated the kitchen slides to only slide the one we needed. I later opened the cutoff valve when we went to set up. I read this may be a factor, I will recheck that those valves are fully open in the morning and try to re-level. Next click will be the LCI site for troubleshooting tips on the 6 point level up system.

Odd that to the bulge in my tire where it is separating and DW is going to be dissapointed that I cannot do the hikes with her tomorrow that she wants to do, Both of these issues should be just minor annoyances, but it will take most of the day tomorrow to determine how big a problem I have.
    2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Originally posted by d2reid View Post
    Ok, we have a problem. First thought is a check valve is not checking. Valve or solenoid? Why is the left front jack making the ticking sound when its the right rear jacks not holding pressure?
    Based on the symptoms it sounds like a seal inside of a jack is bypassing. Inside of the jack there is pressure on one side (or the other) depending on whether the jack is extending or retracting. If the seal (or cylinder) allow the fluid to bypass you won't see any external leakage--the fluid will return to the reservoir.

Diagram "stolen" from an LCI webinar handout

Click image for larger version

Name:	seal.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	30522

LCI has a "Hydraulic Cylinder Test" on their website that will test the seal: https://support.lci1.com/documents/t...-cylinder-test

There's even a video of the process:

I've never actually done it myself, but be prepared for the process to be a little messy (as you'll be messing with hydraulic fluid). What isn't mentioned in the test is removing a line will introduce air into the system, necessitating cycling the jacks to get the air out. There's a hydraulic purge document here: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0001901.pdf

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      Based on the symptoms it sounds like a seal inside of a jack is bypassing.
      Howard
      That is my assumption also. I have read that there may be debris in the seal and that cycling it may temporarily help. I will do this. There is a lout ticking coming from the left front jack, but the front holds pressure, or maybe it's only holding pressure on the right front jack... HMMMM!

Of course nobody can see us until the middle of next month... Moving again tomorrow so I will cycle the landing system several times with slides in and see where the fluid level is.

Comment

Talked with LCI customer support today while waiting for my tire to get replaced. Howsans doc's were spot on. Thanks to Howsan I was able to talk halfway intelligently with the LCI support guy. The support guy went on to tell me about the blue (right) and purple (left) wires on the control valves and the allen screw that may come loose and allow pressure to bypass. Tighten counter clockwise, don't over tighten.

Comment

Update: 9/28/2020. I ensured the slide out controls were fully open. I removed the orange hoses on three of the landing jacks and performed the retract test with no fluid leak. While on the truck I cycled the landing gear to reach the ground and retracted it but did not put pressure on it, three times.

Last night and tonight I leveled without error, pretty flat spaces. No ticking sounds, no loss of pressure. Jack did not drop while traveling.

I am thinking I had a little bitty something in the seal. Moving the fluid around dislodged it, didn't get rid of it, but moved it someplace it isn't causing a problem right now. I don't think I cured my problem but merely postponed it.

Comment

Working...
          X