Second ground control 3.0 controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second ground control 3.0 controller

OK, so when I park my trailer by the side of my house, I cannot access the side door to get to the level control. I purchased the wireless remote, and have used that to be able to disconnect the truck from my 5th wheel. But I have had a lot of problems with my leveling system seeming to lose its way after using the wireless remote. I get random jack errors, some jacks will not retract all the way (thinking they are up already), etc. Many calls to Lippert and they have tried to be helpful. After many cycles of up, down, up, down, off, on, etc. I can usually get them all retracted (at least most of the way). Have resorted to the manual retract with my cordless drill a number of times.
    I had the trailer in for service due to my frustration with the leveling system losing its way. They tried to blame the JT stabilizers for being too tight. The only time these are tight is when I am actually leveled and camping, otherwise, they are loose. So that was bull. I guess their way of telling me they found nothing.
    My personal feeling is that the wireless remote is at the heart of the problem. Once I get the levelers to working correctly, as long as I use the control panel and not the remote, I have no problem. The only time I use the remote is to disconnect from the truck when parked by my house, and it is right after that I begin to have problems again.
    So, I am mulling a couple of options here:
    1. Move the control panel to inside the front storage compartment, such that I can access it between the truck and the trailer.
    2. And here comes a question... Is there the ability to add a Mini Touchpad to the controller such that I could have a pad on the front of the trailer, as well as the full control panel inside the side compartment? If anybody has done this or if in another thread, please point me in the correct direction. The Mini Touchpad is waterproof so can go on the outside of the trailer if desired.
    3. Is the system I have (vintage 2016) able to be upgraded to wifi like the new ones have, such that I could used Grand Designs Compass Connect on my phone app. I do not appear to have the wifi version. Maybe just buying a new control panel would get me the wifi. I am thinking that this might take the place of the wireless remote I suspect is giving me grief.

If I move my current control panel, would this be cause for voiding the warranty? I do not see why it would, but do not want to take any chances. I have another year on the warranty.
    Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Thanks
    Tony
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2020 Chevy 3500 High Country Diesel
    Tony G
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
    2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
    KTM 250XC

Tony

I have a October 2017 build with the Ground Control 3.0. I purchased the remote right after buying because the location of the control panel. We have not experienced any of the things that you are. The only time that I had a jack error was for over extension. I am wondering if you may have a loose connection somewhere that shows its face at the worst time. Moving the control pad "should" not void a warranty but warranty companies like to not pay for anything and that may give them a way out of paying. Adding a second touch pad would be great you will just have to figure out the correct wires to splice into at the original control panel. I had asked one time about updating to the new compass connect and was told this was not possible , not sure why but I think one would need to replace everything from the controllers and control pad to the halo sensor for the level position. Also the compass connect uses a touch screen and relays to control all of the items , you would need to add a lot of relays.
    Not much help but hopefully something useful.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      Tony

I have a October 2017 build with the Ground Control 3.0. I purchased the remote right after buying because the location of the control panel. We have not experienced any of the things that you are. The only time that I had a jack error was for over extension. I am wondering if you may have a loose connection somewhere that shows its face at the worst time. Moving the control pad "should" not void a warranty but warranty companies like to not pay for anything and that may give them a way out of paying. Adding a second touch pad would be great you will just have to figure out the correct wires to splice into at the original control panel. I had asked one time about updating to the new compass connect and was told this was not possible , not sure why but I think one would need to replace everything from the controllers and control pad to the halo sensor for the level position. Also the compass connect uses a touch screen and relays to control all of the items , you would need to add a lot of relays.
      Not much help but hopefully something useful.

Brian
      Thanks for the Reply Brian. I am hoping there is a connection somewhere for the second controller. That would be my best solution. I haven't found a part number or price for the Mini Touchpad. I'm hopeful someone may have it on this forum.
      I guess tapping into the correct wires is a possibility. But I do not know what would happen should both controllers be on at the same time. Something I would work into my design with perhaps some relays. I doubt either controller is expecting conflicting signals.

I hate intermittent gremlins. If the leveling system always messed up, it would be easy to troubleshoot. Not the case. When I took the trailer in, I purposefully left the right front jack not fully retracted in its error condition (instead of resorting to manually retracting it with a drill), hoping they could find a problem. They said they just cleared all the errors and all worked fine. More BS as the jack that wouldn't retract was not producing an error. It just stopped before it was fully retracted, and the system indicated all were retracted - no error showing. So I know they had to have manually retracted it (plus the bottom jack plug was missing dust normally on it, so I know they messed with it.

Tony
      Tony G
      KTM 250XC

Comment

Originally posted by tgodrich View Post

Thanks for the Reply Brian. I am hoping there is a connection somewhere for the second controller. That would be my best solution. I haven't found a part number or price for the Mini Touchpad. I'm hopeful someone may have it on this forum.
        I guess tapping into the correct wires is a possibility. But I do not know what would happen should both controllers be on at the same time. Something I would work into my design with perhaps some relays. I doubt either controller is expecting conflicting signals.

I hate intermittent gremlins. If the leveling system always messed up, it would be easy to troubleshoot. Not the case. When I took the trailer in, I purposefully left the right front jack not fully retracted in its error condition (instead of resorting to manually retracting it with a drill), hoping they could find a problem. They said they just cleared all the errors and all worked fine. More BS as the jack that wouldn't retract was not producing an error. It just stopped before it was fully retracted, and the system indicated all were retracted - no error showing. So I know they had to have manually retracted it (plus the bottom jack plug was missing dust normally on it, so I know they messed with it.

Tony
        I second that we bought the remote aftermarket (after having the rig for a couple years) and have none of the issues you describe. Ours works exactly the same as it did before we had the remote, and I’ve never had to run my jacks with a drill. There’s definitely something wrong with it. If you’ve got warranty left I’d tell them to start with replacing the controller and then the wiring harnesses. That’s definitely not normal behavior.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I added modular plugs and a four wire 6ft. extension so I could move the controller to the other side of the basement for the very same reasons. Works fine no issues. (I used 4 conductor trailer lights wire)
          Jim (& Sharon)
          2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
          2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
          The toys:
          2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
          2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Despite the testimonies on remote operation, have you considered replacing the remote? Also, I would caution against placing the mini-touchpad in the open where curious fingers could access it. If not at your home then in a park or campground.
            John
            2018 Momentum 395M
            2018 Ram 3500 Dually
            Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
              Despite the testimonies on remote operation, have you considered replacing the remote? Also, I would caution against placing the mini-touchpad in the open where curious fingers could access it. If not at your home then in a park or campground.
              Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. I am going to operate the leveling system without using the remote for a while and see if my gremlins return. If not, then it may well be the remote is corrupting the controller somehow. The remote was not cheap. But is useless if it is the culprit. I do not need the remote if I go with a Mini Touchpad wired into the controller as was suggested. I really have no need for the remote other than parking the trailer by the side of the house. If I relocate the control panel or add the second touchpad, I will not need the remote.

I just have to find the part number for the Mini Touchpad, and perhaps some wiring diagrams to help me wire it correctly. I have sort of decided not to pursue the upgrade to a wifi model based on some of the input I got above.

BTW, if I go with the Mini Touchpad on the outside, I will also put a disable switch inside the front storage to be able to shut if off, so no prying fingers can mess with it.
              Tony G
              KTM 250XC

Comment

Originally posted by tgodrich View Post

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. I am going to operate the leveling system without using the remote for a while and see if my gremlins return. If not, then it may well be the remote is corrupting the controller somehow. The remote was not cheap. But is useless if it is the culprit. I do not need the remote if I go with a Mini Touchpad wired into the controller as was suggested. I really have no need for the remote other than parking the trailer by the side of the house. If I relocate the control panel or add the second touchpad, I will not need the remote.

I just have to find the part number for the Mini Touchpad, and perhaps some wiring diagrams to help me wire it correctly. I have sort of decided not to pursue the upgrade to a wifi model based on some of the input I got above.

BTW, if I go with the Mini Touchpad on the outside, I will also put a disable switch inside the front storage to be able to shut if off, so no prying fingers can mess with it.
                Been a while since I posted...
                When camping back in March, I had one of my two front jacks break with a loud boom. Trailer dropped as the second jack took the entire weight. After that, the one jack no longer worked either up or down. The motor could be heard running, but no movement. I decided to put the trailer back on the truck in case the second jack broke due to the added weight on it. We finished our campout.
                Took the trailer directly to the RV dealer here in Livermore after we emptied it. They replaced both jacks under warranty (extended) figuring that the second one probably had been somewhat damaged due to the sudden added weight.
                Anyway, I am beginning to suspect that maybe one or both of these jacks were inherently defective from the factory, and that was resulting in them "losing their way" which I have been dealing with. It may not have been the wireless remote causing my problems, but the jacks themselves. Since I have had them replaced, no more problems.

On the second issue of my post, I was discussing getting a second leveling controller. I opted instead to ordering a second cable, and moving my existing controller to the other side of the RV, which I can access while parked on the side of my house. The original cable was sealed into the unit and I did not feel like digging it out to move it. Anyway, that problem was solved and a lot cheaper than adding a whole second controller.
                Tony G
                KTM 250XC

Comment

Originally posted by JCR GD View Post
                  I added modular plugs and a four wire 6ft. extension so I could move the controller to the other side of the basement for the very same reasons. Works fine no issues. (I used 4 conductor trailer lights wire)
                  I did the same thing. I even added a wedge to tilt it to the right a little so it's easier to read,
                  I coiled up the extra cable behind the hollow wedge just in case I ever decide to move it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Auto Level Controler.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	63152
                  2020 Reflection 29RS
                  2019 GMC 2500 HD Duramax 4x4

Comment

Working...
                  X