Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Lippert GC 3.0 leveling system with dead battery work if plugged into a truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Lippert GC 3.0 leveling system with dead battery work if plugged into a truck?

Hello, My 2020 GD Solitude 310GK fifth wheel had a dead battery from sitting for a few weeks with the battery disconnect left turned on by mistake. The leveling system would not work, it said low battery for about 30 seconds then stop working completely. I plugged the rv into the truck but it still would not work. I let the truck run for about 20 minutes hoping the battery might get enough of a charge but no luck.

Should I expect the leveling system to work with a dead battery when the rv is plugged into my truck?

Thanks for any help.

-Pete

Originally posted by Peter D. Hamorsky View Post
    Hello, My 2020 GD Solitude 310GK fifth wheel had a dead battery from sitting for a few weeks with the battery disconnect left turned on by mistake. The leveling system would not work, it said low battery for about 30 seconds then stop working completely. I plugged the rv into the truck but it still would not work. I let the truck run for about 20 minutes hoping the battery might get enough of a charge but no luck.

Should I expect the leveling system to work with a dead battery when the rv is plugged into my truck?

Thanks for any help.

-Pete
    It should, but in my experience if the battery in the rig is really low then all of the trucks power gets "used up" charging the battery and the levelers will not work. Since the truck output only charges ten amps or less it can take a while to get it charged enough to run them. I would theorize (just a guess I have never really done this) if you unhooked your RV battery then the levelers might run. Otherwise a set of jumper cables from the truck would be another option.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Also the battery disconnect does not truly disconnect all power being used from the battery. Disconnect the battery cables or install a true disconnect to achieve this. There are items like the LP gas detector , radio clock and others that will draw a battery down in a few weeks.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

It took me awhile to figure out that the battery disconnect only disconnects some power usage in the trailer. For me it was the backup camera that drained my battery pack and made the leveling system DEAD. I read in one of the posts that the only true battery disconnects is at the batteries themselves. Just disconnect all negative terminal leads when you store the RV. Reconnecting only takes a few seconds but beats the frustration of a dead battery pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter D. Hamorsky View Post

Thanks for any help.

-Pete
          LCI's "Level Up" system requires a 50 to 100A fuse per the owner's manual. It also states in the manual that "Level-Up requires a minimum of 12V DC from the battery for proper operation."

To my knowledge a truck's 7-pin will not provide the amperage the Level Up needs to operate. As ncitro assessed, even what the truck can provide was being consumed by the charging battery.

If you'd like to dive into more detailed information, the manual is here: https://support.lci1.com/documents/l...-owners-manual

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Wow, I got some great advice.... thanks for all the responses!

Comment

It will not. Not enough juice from the truck. How do I know? Happened to me...except we had already removed the RV batteries for winter. We needed to move the rv and in my mind....the truck should have had enough juice. Should have listened to my wife. I ddin't so I had to drive back hom, get the batteries and take them back. Worked like a charm then. Actually w/ the truck hooked up (no rv batteries) I was able to get enough juice to lower the front ones...very slowly... but not the back. I learned my lesson....always listen to the wife.

Comment

Originally posted by js&ziva View Post
                It will not. Not enough juice from the truck. How do I know? Happened to me...except we had already removed the RV batteries for winter. We needed to move the rv and in my mind....the truck should have had enough juice. Should have listened to my wife. I ddin't so I had to drive back hom, get the batteries and take them back. Worked like a charm then. Actually w/ the truck hooked up (no rv batteries) I was able to get enough juice to lower the front ones...very slowly... but not the back. I learned my lesson....always listen to the wife.
                Your wife is also telling you to read the Welcome Letter to New Members so you get the most out of this forum. (Kidding, of course.) Seriously--welcome to the forum and give the letter a read if you get a chance. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                X