Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security

I have a 2020 303 RSL with the Lippert 3.0 leveling system. Where we store the RV is in a fairly secure location. Is there a way to lock/disable the exterior control pad located in front of the 5th wheel near the Kingpin? I have turned the battery disconnect to the off position but am still able to control the system from the exterior control pad. I'd hate to find out the hard way that our secure parking location isn't so secure and some has decided to "Retract All" as a prank.

Tim S

Welcome to our Grand Design Owner's Forum.

When storing your Reflection, it is wise to completely disconnect the battery. There are enough "still on" parasitic loads to drain the battery over time, even if the battery disconnect is turned off. This will also disable the levelling system. The safest way to do this is to remove the connection from the negative battery terminal. Many owners install a 100% disconnect switch in one of the cables to the battery so that this can be accomplished without tools and without removing the battery box cover.

Rob

Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Security problem.
      We have also looked for a way to lock the exterior leveling system since we have heard of some problems with 5th wheel thefts. King pin hitch and knowledge of leveling system is all that is needed. Has Grand Design or One Control addressed this problem? Or is the added battery disconnect our only option?

Comment

MAP23

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

RV manufacturers make the landing gear easy to operate and usually powered even if the main switch is off, for the benefit of the delivery drivers and anyone else who might be moving the trailer around on its travels from the factory to you. If you wish to disable the landing gear as part of your security against theft, it would be best to do this with a switch known only to you. BTW . . . if you choose to do this, make sure that the landing gear cannot be powered by plugging the cord into the tow vehicle.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Tim S View Post
          I have a 2020 303 RSL with the Lippert 3.0 leveling system. Where we store the RV is in a fairly secure location. Is there a way to lock/disable the exterior control pad located in front of the 5th wheel near the Kingpin? I have turned the battery disconnect to the off position but am still able to control the system from the exterior control pad. I'd hate to find out the hard way that our secure parking location isn't so secure and some has decided to "Retract All" as a prank.
          To add on to others, don't put anything in a compartment that has a slam latch. Slam latches are NOT 'secure' and can easily be popped open with a screw driver behind the latch. There's really nothing about an RV that is secure. Assuming your batteries are in the front compartment on your fifth wheel; I would agree that disconnecting your batteries is the best option.
          Mike & Lisa
          Central Florida
          2021 Imagine 2970RL
          1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Tim S and MAP23 Welcome to the family and the technical forum! When y'all have a chance, the moderators have created a welcome letter to help new members set up their signature lines and tips to help you navigate the forum and get the best possible experience. You can find the letter at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

They also make king pin locks that won't make it impossible to steal, but do make it take much longer and very noisy to attempt. Actually on second thought, the king pin lock placed on a RV may make it near impossible to steal without bringing tools for the job and having time.
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Two things would be on my list in your situation.
              1) king pin lock mentioned above. Locks will keep honest people honest and inconvenience thieves making them spend time and make noise.
              2) remove the battery when stored and place a hidden (kill) switch in the line providing 12v power to the touch pad. Then, even if they provide 12v power to the trailer the pad wont function.
              2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Working...
              X