Leveling with the slides out???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leveling with the slides out???

We're long term at a site in South Padre, TX and we had a rain storm the other day. I've notice the leveling pads have sunk into the dirt a little bit and I need to re-level the RV. Is it safe to level with the slides out or could it damage them due to the stress of the movement? We're off by a little less than a quarter bubble on a two foot level side to side.
    Gary and Carla, "Livin' the Dream!"
    2021 Solitude 390RK-R
    2019 Ford F-350 Lariat, extended cab, 8' box, 6.7L Diesel, SRW

When I picked up our 303 in October, the dealer said leveling with the slides out first is best.

That said, I've never done it.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

From page 154..

Slideout Operation It is normal for the slide rooms to make creaking or squeaking noises while moving. These noises are especially common during the break-in period while the components are seating properly. This will decrease after a few extend/retract cycles. Note that there will always be some noticeable noises when operating the slideout.

1. ALWAYS level and stabilize the RV, BEFORE operating your slideout system

I'm looking at a video where LCI may have said different.. I'll let you know.

Edited to add;
      The question on the video was if it was okay to run the slides out without leveling, and the answer was yes.

https://youtu.be/X-YgRXHb6yY

My answer is if you are going to re-level, yes. The beams on our 41 foot unites are well beyond strong enough to handle re-leveling.
      Last edited by ThePowells; 12-13-2020, 12:11 PM.
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

When we are camping I level the RV before putting any slides out. After using the RV overnight I usually hit the auto level button then just about every day. It is generally not off by much but there always is some "settling" that takes place. When shopping at a dealer the slides are always out and the units are generally not that level. I think you would be fine to use the auto level to bring you back to level with the slides out. If you think you are far enough off that blocking may be required then you should re-block.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          When we are camping I level the RV before putting any slides out. After using the RV overnight I usually hit the auto level button then just about every day. It is generally not off by much but there always is some "settling" that takes place. When shopping at a dealer the slides are always out and the units are generally not that level. I think you would be fine to use the auto level to bring you back to level with the slides out. If you think you are far enough off that blocking may be required then you should re-block.

Brian
          Brian,

Do the front jacks bottom out when you re-level using the auto level button, like they do when you initially level the unit?
          Gary and Carla, "Livin' the Dream!"
          2021 Solitude 390RK-R
          2019 Ford F-350 Lariat, extended cab, 8' box, 6.7L Diesel, SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Livin' the Dream View Post

Brian,

Do the front jacks bottom out when you re-level using the auto level button, like they do when you initially level the unit?
            My system will just move enough to get back to level. The front does not drop like it does when first using the auto level sequence , your system may be different. Using the auto level will change the auto hitch part as well if you use that feature.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Had quite the issue with our 40' fifth wheel not staying level when we first purchased it and due to Covid-19 shutdowns right after, couldn't take it in to get any help.
              Did some research and something I was told by a Grand Design person that made a lot of sense was that it's good to level the unit before putting the slides out as that's the easiest time to place any blocking and install the "X" brace on the tires. The also said once the slides are out and you have to re-level, especially if you're having to recalibrate the system which we had to do a couple of times for it to take, the only way to move around inside to check that things are actually level is with the slides out.
              Another point they made is it's best to move the slides when the unit is relatively level, eases the strain on the slide mechanisms, but if the unit has settled with the slides out it's better to leave them out to re-level rather than try to retract them which potentially could add some stress to the slide units.

Once thing I highly recommend is to get some sort of a jack pad for your stabilizers. Mine are probably a little overkill, a product of spending a significant part of my life in heavy civil construction around machines with outriggers, but you'll be surprised how effective something as simple as a 12" x 12" x 3/4" piece of plywood will help you from having an outrigger settle into the dirt.

The 12" x 12" pad = 1 square foot or 144 square inches of surface area - a 10" circle = .5454 square feet or 78.53 square inches - you almost double the load area with a simple pad.
              We're currently on a site where the ground slopes a little bit so I've stacked up the pads so the jacks don't have to extend as far which reduces how much things move.
              And yes, mine are larger than 12" x 12" - they're 16" x 16" x 3/4" which equals 3 wide x 6 long from a sheet of plywood or 18 each.

Chris & Teresa + Naia (2yr old granddaughter)
              2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax
              2019 Solitude 3740BH
              Chris
              2019 Solitude 3740BH
              2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Units such as my Imagine with a single large slide on one side puts undo stress on the stabilizers. As a result, I level at 3/8-1/2" high on the slide side. When the slide is extended, the rig will sit level. This method may not be for everyone but it works to put most of the support on the suspension rather than on the stabilizers which are not designed to carry the weight of the rig.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                X