Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Bad Foot Pad Install ( 2019 315RLTS )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Bad Foot Pad Install ( 2019 315RLTS )

So this thread is brought to you by jlackman because he mentioned the Big Bad Foot Pad (BBFP) in his first thread on this forum: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...-me-with-a-31g

I had never heard of the pads so I was intrigued. I decided to give them a try.

First: why? Because if there's a way to reduce the logistics associated with setup and teardown--sign me up.

BACKGROUND
    The feet that Lippert uses on the PSX1 Electric Stabilizers are relatively small. (There are two of these stabilizers on my 315RLTS, one in front and one in the rear.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	PSX1.JPG Views:	30 Size:	34.0 KB ID:	44602

So every time I deploy the stabilizers I'd have to put some form of support underneath to keep the feet from sinking. Typically that meant me on one side of the camper and the DW on the other to get the Camco 44543 RV Stabilizer Jack Pads I carried with me aligned "just right" with the stabilizer feet as they deployed. The pic below shows the pad and on the right the Lippert "foot" as a size reference. The BBFPs eliminate having to carry the jack pads and not having to align them under the stabilizer feet means two less steps during setup. I don't have to clean the pads when I pack up, either (they always get dirty) so that's less to do on departure.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Big Bad 0.JPG Views:	45 Size:	155.0 KB ID:	44598

ASSEMBLY
    As the pictures show (below) there are two feet in a box. The hardware is excellent--nylon lock nuts will ensure the hardware stays together. The "L" brackets are highly adjustable and look like they will fit a wide assortment of stabilizers. Very easy to put together.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Big Bad 1.JPG Views:	30 Size:	278.0 KB ID:	44599

The pics below show the size difference between the Lippert PSX1 feet and the BBFP. Swapping the feet was easy. There's no instructions in the box, so if you install these do not tighten down the long bolt that goes through the stabilizer leg. The foot needs to move easily. So not too tight, not too loose--just right (you'll know).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Big Bad 2.JPG Views:	30 Size:	328.4 KB ID:	44600

CONCERNS
    The BBFP contacts the motor housing when it is fully retracted. Nothing moved or looked like it was under stress when it met, but being careful not to leave the UP button depressed too long after initial contact is probably wise.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Big Bad 4.JPG Views:	30 Size:	103.7 KB ID:	44601

I also wondered if the extra weight of the BBFPs would stress the PSX1's motor. I monitored the amperage the motor drew while extending and retracting. I took a video of my battery monitor while the PSX1 was deployed and retracted both the OEM feet and the BBFPs. I was pleased to see that there was only a very minor difference, certainly nothing that would cause concern. (I was going to post it but didn't want to win the "Most Boring Video of the Year" award.)

CONCLUSION
    Are the BBFPs worth the $$$? Depends on the camping you do. Do you stay in one place for long periods? Probably not worth it. Do lots of shorts trips with multiple setups and tear downs? These look like winners IMO.

If I learn anything else of significance related to these pads I'll be sure and post an update.

Howard
    Last edited by howson; 03-02-2021, 10:19 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus
Working...
X