Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should leveling be done with slides in or out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should leveling be done with slides in or out?

I have seen several people talk about auto level with slides in/out. Some say they auto level with them in then they put slides out and re-auto level. I have all my heavy weight (kitchen stuff) on one slide will the trailer level stay level if I do it when slides are in? Im getting to take my first trip so I thought I would ask
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

I level with the slides in and not worry about level after the slides are out. If nothing gives after the slides are out, you are still level.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Dennis66 If you autolevel a second time after the slides are out, the autohitch feature does not remember where the front jacks were at. The system only stores the extension amount of the front jacks immediately when the auto level function is activated and over writes any previous settings before moving any of the jacks.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Good point makes since
        2021 Reflection 303RLS
        Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

I really had to search for this information. I thought there would be something in the leveling section, but found the applicable information on page 161 of the owner's manual where it discusses operating the slide outs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideouts.JPG
Views:	1431
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	49751
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Dennis66

I don't have auto-level . . . so I am a bit out on a limb here . . . but, can't you "teach" your auto level that "level" is slightly high on the port side (street/left side)?
            You are correct that putting out the heavy kitchen slide on a 303 will pull that side down (just a little bit)
            With my manual system, I "level" with slides in, but I bias this to a little high on the port side so that things become level when the slides go out.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Dennis, My suggestion would be to auto-level somewhere on a very level surface, extend your slides, use a four foot level or other accurate instrument and see if and how far that you are off. If you are not happy with what you have, manually bring it to level and then reset the zero point. That way the imbalance is already factored in, if the weight imbalance is actually an issue (which I wouldn't believe).
              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
              Nash County, NC
              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

I auto level before the slides get extended , Jim found the reason for this in post # 5. If we are staying more than 2 or 3 days or the ground we are staying on is soft or not paved I will auto level again. I know that I will lose my auto hitch height but that is ok it only works if you are nose high when you unhitch and some times we are not. Re-auto level also takes some of the movement out of the trailer when it "settles" into position.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  Dennis66

I don't have auto-level . . . so I am a bit out on a limb here . . . but, can't you "teach" your auto level that "level" is slightly high on the port side (street/left side)?
                  You are correct that putting out the heavy kitchen slide on a 303 will pull that side down (just a little bit)
                  With my manual system, I "level" with slides in, but I bias this to a little high on the port side so that things become level when the slides go out.

Rob
                  Rob,

I'm glad you stated this since I do the same with my Imagine with its large slide. Once my slide is extended it can put undo stress on the stabilizers so I bias the system to be around 1/2 inch high on the slide side before extending.

Jim

Comment

I will see what happens this weekend first trip and where were going its pretty flat and on cement. All good info here
                    2021 Reflection 303RLS
                    Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      Dennis66

Rob
                      This is what I have done. I reset my zero to be a bit to one side. It also helps with getting the AC water to go over the passenger side.
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

First setup hit auto level it did its thing and front to back was way off. I manually leveled the rig and stopped there. We got in late and not sure what I was doing Im waiting for today to get it re called. Do I need to put my slides all in before I re cal?
                        2021 Reflection 303RLS
                        Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

If you have it level I would not put the slides in to do the recalibration , but you can if you want to.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

That's what I was thinking, On my level on floor or counter Im off about .4 deg, I may dial it in a bit closer. To get there from after I hit auto level the front jacks I put up close to 2". I would of thought the factor would do a level and cal before they ship
                            2021 Reflection 303RLS
                            Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Ours was right on from the factory but there have been some that have reported being way off just like you.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X