Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using the 5th wheel landing gear to raise front end of toyhauler for easier loading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the 5th wheel landing gear to raise front end of toyhauler for easier loading

I have a GD 5th wheel 2020 toyhauler and I have been using the landing gear to raise the front end thus lowering the rear end of the unit for easier loading. One of the motorcycles is a trike with a low clearance. It seems to work pretty well, gives me a better angle. My question is about doing it with the slides already out. I've been told by my RV guy its not a problem. I'm looking for any of y'all expertise about this. Thanks for your time and advise.

2020 Grand Design Momentum 397TH. Full timers

I am not a huge fan of moving the levelers with the slides out. IMHO when you level the frame flexes. Ok, it's not much flex. I don't know for a fact so error on the side of caution. Having said that I have moved the levelers with the slides out with no apparent issue. I have talked to many others that do it frequently with no apparent issue.

Here is another way to approach the problem. My Harley had a fairly low clearance. I learned pretty quickly that when the RV was parked on a hill or drop off at the rear when I opened my toy hauler ramp the angle changed and the Harley would bottom out on the hinge. I put blocks under the toy hauler ramp to raise it so the Harley would not bottom out. I then took my motorcycle rack for my truck and laid it out over the edge of the toy hauler door. Essentially extending the toy hauler ramp to about twice it's original length.
    2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Hey D2. Thanks for your advise. I used to use the regular ramp with my HD. It usually turned into a Hail Mary for my chock (sp). But this Momentum is slightly narrower than previous THs I've owned and I have the 3 season doors (which will come off). But that gets to be a real PITA. Plus adding a Tri Glide that drags pipes even after raising it. I have a nice set of ramp extensions and I've been putting 3 jack stands under the ramp door to lessen the angle even more. But raising the front end allows me to load with precision. I've done that with the slides out once. No problem, but I don't feel real comfortable with that and there's no info anywhere about loading that way. Thanks again

Comment

I think Barg you answered your own question. It's a matter of risk and comfort level. With the slides in the TH center of mass is between the frames two carrier beams. With the slides out, not so much, so if something goes wrong while moving the landing or stabilizing jacks (un-leveling the TH, raising or lowering the nose, releveling after loading the toys, not so much while actually loading or off loading the toys), it could go drastically wrong. I suspect your owner's manual says not to level with the slides out and even if it doesn't if you're not comfortable doing this, don't.

I fully understand the improved line of sight for loading, particularly if you have already attached your chocks to the floor. Alternatives may be some markers for reference. Maybe on the wall behind the chocks, or possibly even on the ramp. As for the low clearance, it sounds like you have this under control (I use the lego style leveling blocks instead of jack stands, but I have more clearance on my Wing than you apparently do).
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

GM John, Thanks for your advise. I'm surprised this an unusual topic. My owners manual says nothing, YouTube and other forums are scarce. In my case its not as much as line of sight as dragging/sticking pipes on the trike. I started raising the front well over a year ago after watching/talking with a seasoned rver do it. He parked and 1st thing did was off load and level then slides out. But I hadn't considered it with the slides out until a few months ago. I use the lego blocks to level the jack stands before puttting the ramp extension on. When I get properly position in the garage I have about 4" apart. I have to stagger them to fit. Its always time consuming and a pain in the butt. Thanks again

Comment

I have raised the nose with my previous 2 haulers. Haven't needed to with this one so far, long ramp and dovetail helps. Sometimes my pipes will hit but I always unload slowly in first gear in case of a front tire skid. My thoughts on slides would be not to actuate the slides until you return to level and all should be good.
            2023 Momentum 351MS pulled by Casper, Tri-Coat Platinum 2012 F350 Super Cab single RW 4WD. Toys: 2003 Screaming Eagle Deuce, 2003 Screamin Eagle Roadking, 2017 CVO Ultra Limited. Secured in garage with B&W Biker Bars.

Comment

Working...
            X