Leveling when tires are off ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leveling when tires are off ground

Grand Design 150 Reflection Series 278BH Fifth Wheel...When using the automatic leveling system, our left tires are off the ground. Is this an issue? We understand that all of the weight should not be on the leveling jacks

Were you way out of level when you parked? My understanding you don't want to be more then 5" from side to side
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

My 337rls will pull the tires off the ground way before 5" of side to side difference. You really need to get it basically level side to side before doing the auto level function. I use Andersen levelers to get it basically level side to side.

Charles and Susan
      2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
      Andersen Hitch
      2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Static spring compression is about 1 1/2”. Tire compression might be another 1”. So, if your site is more than 2” or 3” out of level side-to-side, the low side tires are going to come off the ground to get the trailer to level. It would be better to use tire blocking on the low side to get closer to level before using the auto level “fine tuning”.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

We use either the Andersen levelers or lego blocks, whichever looks like it will work best. We always level side-to-side before we unhitch. From there, we use the auto-level function. I never let our tires come off the ground. If using either the Andersen’s or lego blocks, I put the chocks on the opposite side, so that they are in contact with the ground.
          Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
          Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
          2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
          Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
          Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

I chock both sides of the camper using 4 chocks in total. I try to chock both sides of the tire on the same axle. This has a lot to do with rocking of the unit front to rear as people walk.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Louise Welcome to the family and the forum!
              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
              Nash County, NC
              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

I have camped at many places that have very unlevel sites. I like 4x4 wood blocks for chalking and leveling help. As a result I have had my wheels of the ground many times. But there is some danger in doing this. Because of this LCI could never "recommend" lifting till your wheels are off the ground. Way to much liability implications.

What is the danger? Sliding off the blocks and dropping the trailer. That would be bad. I mitigate this by double chalking the side that is on the ground to keep the trailer from moving. I also never do this in high wind locations. I recognize it as a poor practice but do it anyway.
                2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Chocking is the exact word
                  2020 Solitude 2930RL S-Class

Comment

Working...
                  X