Auto level failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto level failure

Anybody experience "Auto level failure " code when trying to level your 5th wheel . My tech says the system is extremely voltage sensitive . If your battery shows less than 12.5v it will throw a code.

Welcome to the forum Eddy. Grand Design uses a couple of different auto level versions. There is a mechanical version called "Ground Control 3.0". And there is also a hydraulic version. Which one do you have, and what model of trailer do you have?

Have you measured your battery voltage? If so, what is your reading?

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Hi Jim
      It is Ground control 3.0 , and yes my battery was 11.5 volts . This was after sitting for a week without shore power . The error code also happened with shore power , The tech recommended a new battery or even adding a second battery .
      We have a Reflection 367bhs

Ed
      Last edited by Eddy; 10-13-2019, 07:20 PM.

Comment

A few questions, how old is the battery? When connected to shore power is the battery switch in the on position?

The reason for asking about the battery switch is the converter usually is wired to only charge the battery when the switch is in the on position.
        Colan Arnold
        2016 Momentum 397TH
        Full time since 2016

Comment

Ed

I have the same system as you. The battery disconnect switch does not "truly" disconnect the battery. There is quite a few things that will discharge the battery in a weeks time even if the switch is in the "off" position. I also have had the same issue that you are having. I have learned that the disconnect switch needs to be on for proper charging from the converter when on shore power. The ground control will still work when the disconnect switch is in the "off" position , it does on mine. Make sure switch is "on" plug into shore power to recharge battery. A true battery disconnect right at the battery will help in keeping a charged battery longer.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks Brian ,

I noticed the battery switch did not shut off the battery and I am not sure what position it was in when the shore power was connected. I have replaced the battery as the original was 2yrs old and failed a load test .
            I will test the leveling system tomorrow and report what happens .
            My biggest problem is there is no shore power where I have it stored .

Thanks , Ed

Comment

Ed

I have used the power from my tow vehicle to use the front landing gear to un-hook from the truck. Not having shore power at you facility is a down fall. If you are loading and un-loading there and operate the slides in and out they use a lot of battery power. To save battery power I try to only operate the slides I need until I am on shore power and then I can operate them all.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I had the dealer operate the leveling system without shorepower and it worked perfectly , after a 1 hour tow to our storage lot the trailer sat for 4 days with the "battery switch" off . Both batteries were below 12 volts and the leveling system failed as before .
                My question is what is drawing down the batteries ? any ideas ?
                I am going to install a real battery disconnect at the battery box .

Ed

Comment

Ed

Some of the items include the radio, propane detector, the leveling system and others that I have not figured out. A "true" battery disconnect is one of the first items I did. I actually did a little re-wiring so the factory disconnect turns everything off. For long term storage , thru the winter months , disconnecting the positive and negative terminals is a good idea , I remove my battery and place it in my garage so I can keep a charge on it from time to time.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hello all ,

It has been a while since my last post . Since the "autolevel Fail " code I learned that this Lippert Ground control 3.0 as setup on my 5th wheel will not level the trailer if it is more than 10 degrees off level to begin with . I am not sure that is the same on other 5th wheels . In the past traveling with motorhomes I have been able to level on some pretty hilly camp sites , I guess 5th wheel camping is flat ground only .
                    Thanks for all your input , I am off to south Florida where the campsite is very flat .. lol...

Ed

Comment

Hey Eddy. I have also experienced an auto level failure with my Ground Control 3.0. It was not associated with battery voltage, but with an out of level situation as you identified. So now I first use a small bubble level on the kitchen counter to see if the rig is listing. Then use stacked leveling blocks under the wheels as needed to get it close. With this done, I still had another auto level failure. The problem was the rear jack on the lifted side maxed out in stroke length before grounding. My solution was to use stacked leveling blocks under that jack too. No auto level failures since.
                      Kevin & Merry - Montana
                      2018 Reflection 303RLS
                      2018 Ram 3500 6.7L SRW 4X4 SB AUH

Comment

Hello Kevin & Merry ,

It seems to me that if you have to level your camper before using the jacks , then Grand Design needs a better system . I have never run into this problem with other brands of leveling jacks.

Regards Eddy.

Comment

Kevin and Mary, I too have been places where the length and reach of the leveling jacks is not sufficient to over come the slope of the campground. So I add blocks under the lowest level jacks. But I have a word of caution when doing this. Always chock the wheels so the trailer cannot shift while doing this. I put the wheel chocks down, then put the truck in neutral resting the wheels on the chocks, then I add blocks under the jacks. Having a huge 5th wheel slide off of blocks under the jacks is not a good thing.

I carry about a dozen 4x4 foot long blocks for these occurrences. They are fairly cheap and can double as firewood should the need arise.
                          2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                          2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                          E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                          Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Working...
                          X