Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for quick help on 4 point electrical leveling

2020 Solitude 2930 RL- R
    Our friends, we have issues! Fairly critical! We have lost voltage from our converter, using jumper box which does not provide adequate voltage for 4 point leveling system. Had a neighbor with a new Reflection help us out yesterday with jumper cables. Still getting error messages of LF and RR jack, won't go further on the steps to get to manual operation. Somehow I was able to retract rear jacks and manually raise fronts to hook to truck with lots of stops in the process. Disconnected and reconnected panel and LF sensor, no improvement. What I am asking for at this time is procedure to run jacks manually to unhook tomorrow night at our long term destination in Colorado, currently in western Oklahoma. I did talk to Duane on the Grand Design tech line who was courteous and knowledgeable, he said needed to get voltage at least up to 12.5. True but all I need for the moment is to get unhitched and deal with full diagnosis first of next week. Many thanks to all! Steve Gravelle
    Last edited by steve gravelle; 05-07-2021, 08:19 AM. Reason: Correct phrasing
    2020 Solitude 2930RL S-Class

steve gravelle
    Unless I'm missing something in your post, turn off the bad converter (using the circuit breaker in the Power Distribution Panel) and install a fully-charged battery into your trailer. The hydraulic system should work long enough to do what you need to do--but the battery may need recharging again due to the high amperage draw.

Easiest solution is replacing the WFCO converter (if you can find the part).

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

If you plug your camper's 7 way connector into your truck, with the truck running you should have over 13 volts coming through to the camper. If you are below 12.5 volts, then maybe your battery or converter are not doing their job. Connecting to the truck should bring enough voltage to the controller to get it to start to function. The problem is maintaining the current since the truck will only supply 7-10 amps. If you leave it hooked up for a bit it may help - this is assuming the problem is weak voltage to the system.

Reading again sounds like the converter is not charging the battery. Can you get a battery charger to hook directly to the battery and leave it charging for a few hours - this would definitely help.
      2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
      1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
      2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Steve, if those are 12v electric motor jacks and not hydraulic, there is a manual override on the bottom of the motor. Pull the rubber plug and I think it's hex. There is also one on top of the stroke tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rzv3nbeAmc

About page 98 of the current Solitude manual also discusses this procedure for manual control of the jacks.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks friends! Converter is dead, bought a small charger to run our inside stuff through the night. Voltage is now adequate (NOT hydraulic). Very correct I need replacement converter, but what I asking for is a procedure to run the jacks, possibly disconnect all sensors to get jacks to respond. When system loses voltage, it loses its mind also! Many thanks and possibly with this information can you offer more? All is appreciated!

Comment

Steve, electric or battery drill and square drive adapter will speed up the process.
            Joseph
            Tow
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

steve gravelle

Also...double-check the battery disconnect is on (key can't be removed). If it's inadvertently off the battery won't charge giving the appearance that the converter isn't working right.

Check out https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...roubleshooting

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

steve gravelle

I assume then each time the system is hooked back up the first step is to do the set the level point. Obviously sufficient power is required to do this.

Jlawles2 input (do the jacks manually) may be the easiest in the interim if the power issue can't be addressed until you arrive at your final destination. There's a lot of information on LCI1.com (lippert's website).

Howard

Comment

steve gravelle

A couple of more points (sorry to keep piling on)--make sure you have sufficient power in the camper's battery so that your emergency brake system works. Also remember that if your battery dips below a certain voltage level the refrigerator control board will turn off and all the food will spoil.

Howard

Comment

If you can keep your battery charged fully, the jacks should start to work correctly. If your battery was run down too much it might have been damaged as well.

The battery wiring feeds the jacks/controller first, then it runs through the disconnect switch to the converter (that is how the converter charges the battery as well)

Since you have a charger on the battery now, once you reach a full charge you should be good for a while to use the jacks, etc. - I am assuming you don't have dual batteries, an inverter and a residential fridge ... if you did you would have additional challenges to deal with.

When activating the landing gear and slides, you may want to flip off the battery disconnect while doing so to remove any other battery draw. Then once you are finished you can turn it back on.

Interesting what you stated about the controller loosing its mind when the voltage drops - I have installed solar and have removed battery voltage multiple times from my trailer - curious if I will have issues the next time I use the system - I did not have any issues recently when hitching up to my truck and then unhitching (went to the CAT scales ...) - I did not autolevel since removing voltage.

If you converter is toast you may want to unplug it or at least turn off the circuit breaker to it. Now might be a good time to think about upgrading to a LiFePO4 compatible charger/converter.
                    2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
                    1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
                    2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                      Steve, if those are 12v electric motor jacks and not hydraulic, there is a manual override on the bottom of the motor. Pull the rubber plug and I think it's hex. There is also one on top of the stroke tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rzv3nbeAmc

About page 98 of the current Solitude manual also discusses this procedure for manual control of the jacks.
                      Until the converter problem is fixed, this will take care of you. I think it is a 9/16 socket.
                      If I remember right, disconnect the jacks at the plug when you do this.
                      This way you can retract or extend the jacks when the auto systems don't work.
                      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Further update. We have been able to raise and lower the jacks from the control panel by ignoring the display showing jack errors. At this time we are still charging our batteries using a small 8 amp charger, which will get voltage to 12 plus. 2 nights ago we lost our heat from the furnace, upon calling a local mobile technician he advised us we may have fallen below 12 volts which would cause the furnace not to work. Corrected charger connections and furnace worked fine. This morning it would not start. Verified we had proper voltage. I have noted that previously when asking thermostat for heat, it has an audible click (Air XCel model). Do I need to go into thermostat to check fuse? Pry gently on side? Utube video? Will also post in HVAC section. 35 degrees and snowing in Castle Rock, CO. Again, many thanks. You folks are great! Warmer tomorrow, will dig out stuff to access converter and diagnose.

Comment

If you need to charge the battery more quickly, you might consider jumper cables directly from your truck.
                          Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
                          Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
                          2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
                          Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
                          Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Tom and Janice, good suggestion. I just bought a multi functional jumper box at Walmart, in addition to boosting batteries, it has a 125 psi compressor and inverter to give you 120 v.from 12 v. Bout a hundred dollars.

Comment

steve gravelle Steve, Don't know what you are running for a TV, but I plugged my previous 5er in to the 7 way when we were broke down out in west Texas. Kicked the High Idle in so it would put out full amperage to the batteries. Tip, turn off everything electrical you can in the truck amps not being drawn by un necessary gadgets = more amps for charging. Got lucky when I was having to charge the battery in the camper that it was easy to back up to the front and use the 7 way.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X