Stabilizer would not retract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stabilizer would not retract

Question about our 312bhts....on our second use, in the driveway due to a province wide lock down, I was preparing to return our TT to storage and the back stabilizer when I attempted to raise started to slow then quit working. As if the battery had died....but all other components, slides and front stabilizers worked fine. I am not that handy with electrical but did use a meter and determined there was 12 volts at the switch and we could hear a click behind the panel in the pass through up front when I pushed the switch to retract the stabilizer leg. You would think that the motor failed but the way it stopped, slowed then quit, was similar to a battery losing its charge. It moved into the stowed position with the provided hand crack with no problems.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated......if not I will call the dealer Tuesday as it is only 2 months old and under warranty.
    Reflection 312BHTS
    Ram 2500 Limited Diesel

Originally posted by B&H View Post
    Any suggestions would be appreciated......if not I will call the dealer Tuesday as it is only 2 months old and under warranty.
    The issue may be related to the Unity 1.0x board or associated wiring. The Unity is part of the trailer's CompassConnect system. The analog switch inputs go into the board and then the board outputs commands to the jacks to move as directed.

The advantage to the CompassConnect setup is you should be able to control the jacks from an app on your phone. Have you tried this approach? (I've never actually messed with the system or seen one in person and each GD line has implemented the system differently.)

If you do have control via the app, does the jack act any differently as compared to the manual switch?

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Howard. No, I have not set up the Compass Connect system, unfortunately I am as bad a techie as I am an electrician. I will read up on this and give it a try. I have some time until our parks are open up here so will get it figured out eventually.
      Reflection 312BHTS
      Ram 2500 Limited Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by B&H View Post
        Thanks for the quick reply Howard. No, I have not set up the Compass Connect system, unfortunately I am as bad a techie as I am an electrician. I will read up on this and give it a try. I have some time until our parks are open up here so will get it figured out eventually.
        No problem. Knowing whether there's a difference in how the jack responds to the switch vs the app will allow us to narrow down the possibilities. While I understand it is under warranty and you can certainly take it back to the dealer for repair, a beginner (in a previous life that would be a "3-level") of DIY'er is almost a requirement of RV ownership.

I'll be looking for your follow-up!

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

@b&h, Some other questions, information to provide:

Where you on shore power, with full 30 amps, at the time or running off batteries?

You said that you had 12-volt at the switch, can you check you voltage at the battery?. A fully charged 12-volt battery should read around 12.6-volts. If on shore power there should be 13-volts or more.

Was the "click" you heard repetitive or one and done? If repetitive, this could be a thermal breaker with automatic reset going bad. However, it this case you would most likely see a stop and start retraction of your stabilizers instead of a slowing action.

Good luck
          John
          2018 Momentum 395M
          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Setting up the one connect is not difficult. Find the QR code sticker and take a picture of it. Your smartphone will do the rest. First time logging in you do need to input your trailer specs but it's really easy done through drop down boxes.

At this point I only use my phone/app for leveling. I even unplugged my leveling front remote control panel.

I always connect to shore power before doing any leveling functions. The electric levelers in my 337rls take a lot of juice so shore power is preferable.
            Charles and Susan
            2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
            Andersen Hitch
            2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. Sorry for the delayed response, I have been traveling all day. Now that our premier has opened the boatramps, but not the campsites, I have taken the opportunity to use my small fishing boat instead.
              The battery did have 12.7V when checked. This click heard in behind the panel of the passthrough was only heard once when either the retract or extend switch was pushed at the stabilizer. I checked the voltage after it failed to raise on both the 15 amp house outlet and on the battery. To confirm, these are not levelers just stabilizers. Our TT did not come with the autoleveling system. I will try your suggestions once back and get the trailer out of the storage lot. if all else fails as Howard says....to the dealer!!
              Reflection 312BHTS
              Ram 2500 Limited Diesel

Comment

My travel trailer is also 2 months old. My first two trips each had about an hour of heavy rain. On my second trip, I had the exact same symptoms as you: rear stabilizer moved very slowly and then stopped.

I contacted Grand Design and they sent me an entire new rear stabilizer in a couple of days. I took apart the motor for the failed stabilizer and it was full of water. See the attached pics. Clearly, the motor was not properly waterproofed.

Just finished my 3rd trip, and the front stabilizer failed at the beginning of this trip. Contacted Grand Design and a new front stabilizer is being delivered to me via UPS tomorrow from Grand Design. Great customer service. Grand Design is great!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stabilizer Motor 1.jfif
Views:	842
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	54929Click image for larger version

Name:	Stabilizer Motor 2.jfif
Views:	819
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	54930
                Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
                2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
                2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post
                  My travel trailer is also 2 months old. My first two trips each had about an hour of heavy rain. On my second trip, I had the exact same symptoms as you: rear stabilizer moved very slowly and then stopped.

I contacted Grand Design and they sent me an entire new rear stabilizer in a couple of days. I took apart the motor for the failed stabilizer and it was full of water. See the attached pics. Clearly, the motor was not properly waterproofed.

Just finished my 3rd trip, and the front stabilizer failed at the beginning of this trip. Contacted Grand Design and a new front stabilizer is being delivered to me via UPS tomorrow from Grand Design. Great customer service. Grand Design is great!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stabilizer Motor 1.jfif
Views:	842
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	54929Click image for larger version

Name:	Stabilizer Motor 2.jfif
Views:	819
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	54930
                  We had the same problem. Full of water. It was also the rear and did the same thing. Started to work, but slow, then just stopped. Those motors are expensive. I think it was around $300
                  2018 Reflection 315RLTS
                  2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

Originally posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
                    We had the same problem. Full of water. It was also the rear and did the same thing. Started to work, but slow, then just stopped. Those motors are expensive. I think it was around $300
                    and @B&H

Both of you have the PSX1 systems on your 315RTLS'? Dang--this is the first I've read of this issue. Another inspection item to go look at...

Comment

Thanks for the info Jimmer, once I get back home I will pull the motor off and have a look. It sounds like you nailed it though. That's what confused me, slowed then stopped.
                      All the best everyone, great forum to get others experience. Also great to here GD reacted properly for you.
                      Reflection 312BHTS
                      Ram 2500 Limited Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                        and @B&H

Both of you have the PSX1 systems on your 315RTLS'? Dang--this is the first I've read of this issue. Another inspection item to go look at...
                        I'm guessing is that they had a bad batch from the factory. I tried to seal up using silicon the front motor once I realized why the rear one failed. However, it failed about a week after I sealed up the front motor, so water already got in there. Seems like a March of 2021 delivery is the time frame of a Grand Design trailer with a failure for me and B&H. It appeared that failure on mine was where the wire entered the motor. Howson, it couldn't hurt to seal up that area with some silicone caulking to keep things dry.
                        Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
                        2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
                        2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Reflection 312BHTS
                          Ram 2500 Limited Diesel

Comment

All, Quick follow-up from the above string. I finally had a chance to remove the stabilizer discussed and found water in the housing, identical to how Jimmer had found his, see photos. Off to the dealer for a replacement......hopefully.
                            Reflection 312BHTS
                            Ram 2500 Limited Diesel

Comment

Working...
                            X