Alternative Leveling Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Leveling Systems

This will only apply to "oldies" like we are. We have a pre-auto leveling Reflection 5th wheel and are contemplating adding a auto leveling system. Our choices include Lippert 3.0 Ground Control electric 4 point, Equalizer Systems 4pt. EQ Smart level system or "Big Foot" 5th wheel 4 pt auto leveling by Quadra Mfg. Does anyone have experience with any of these aftermarket? Thanks

mgeorge52

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

As another owner of a "pre-auto levelling" Reflection, I will be interested in what you learn on this topic. I did look into this briefly, a few years ago, but the cost seemed to outweigh the benefits. We have a levelling process using Andersen levellers for side-to-side and the regular landing gear for front-to-back that is just as fast (or perhaps faster) than auto-leveling.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

We owned a 2010 Open Range 5th wheel that had pre-autolevel landing gear. I did a retrofit to add DIY autolevel capability to it. I built it myself (not that hard, very inexpensive, but very dependent on the type of system you currently have ....)

Here is a video of the system at work ....

https://youtu.be/aCiFrJ4rooo
      2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
      1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
      2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by mgeorge52 View Post
        This will only apply to "oldies" like we are. We have a pre-auto leveling Reflection 5th wheel and are contemplating adding a auto leveling system. Our choices include Lippert 3.0 Ground Control electric 4 point, Equalizer Systems 4pt. EQ Smart level system or "Big Foot" 5th wheel 4 pt auto leveling by Quadra Mfg. Does anyone have experience with any of these aftermarket? Thanks
        First welcome.
        I looked into the leveling options too. I settled on these https://www.beech-lane.com/camper-levelers Shop around as they go on sale. I have a level on the front of my trailer so I can quickly tell the side to side tilt. Once in the site I pull forward a few feet, deploy the leveling wedges and back on until my front level shows good. Before blocking I then check the floor inside for side to side and tweak the position. I then block the levelers in place (chock the other tires), unhook and using the front landing gear set for/aft level. Last I set the rear stabilizers and lock in my Steady Fast. Its just a matter of minutes and I am done.

Just an alternative and pretty much trouble free.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          We have a levelling process using Andersen levellers for side-to-side and the regular landing gear for front-to-back that is just as fast (or perhaps faster) than auto-leveling.
          Now wait a minute Rob! Using Andersen Levelers is faster than pressing a button? You must move way faster than I do!

Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

bertschb
            Hi Brian,

I follow a process very similar to Yoda Keith's. (I skip the part about getting out the level and checking the floor . . . I trust my outside mounted levels)

Assuming that everybody chocks the tires, the Andersen levellers take no more time than that. Then disconnect the truck and level fore/aft. Down go the rear stabilizers and out go the slides . . . and I am on my first beer watching the guy next door, still waiting with slides in for the auto levelling to finish "doing its thing".

I am not sure that the complexity (and sometimes the calibration problems) of auto levelling are worth the benefit. (Or . . . maybe that's just what I tell myself )

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

Now wait a minute Rob! Using Andersen Levelers is faster than pressing a button? You must move way faster than I do!

Cate&Rob

He too has the Force - amazing what it can do
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                bertschb
                Hi Brian,

I follow a process very similar to Yoda Keith's. (I skip the part about getting out the level and checking the floor . . . I trust my outside mounted levels)

Assuming that everybody chocks the tires, the Andersen levellers take no more time than that. Then disconnect the truck and level fore/aft. Down go the rear stabilizers and out go the slides . . . and I am on my first beer watching the guy next door, still waiting with slides in for the auto levelling to finish "doing its thing".

I am not sure that the complexity (and sometimes the calibration problems) of auto levelling are worth the benefit. (Or . . . maybe that's just what I tell myself )

Rob
                I think that there may be a race in our future

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

One question I have for those of you with 'the force', and using the Anderson Levelers, do you bother trying to level between the front and rear wheels on the same side? IE, if your trailer is on a downward slope front to back, do you try to get more height on the rear wheel as compared to the front? We do this since we level with blocks, but I could see it being a challenge with the Anderson system.
                  2019 Imagine 2400BH
                  2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
                    One question I have for those of you with 'the force', and using the Anderson Levelers, do you bother trying to level between the front and rear wheels on the same side? IE, if your trailer is on a downward slope front to back, do you try to get more height on the rear wheel as compared to the front? We do this since we level with blocks, but I could see it being a challenge with the Anderson system.
                    No. Never been an issue.

The only "gotcha" with manual levelers is after the camper settles (tires cool, etc) it's too much of a nuisance to fix it. This is where the a powered leveling system would be nice--a quick manual adjustment to make the DW happy and I'd be done.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

We spent 4-1/2 years in a pre-auto-leveling Reflection 337RLS. After trying several products and methods, we finally settled on the Beech Lane levelers (broke three or four of the Anderson levelers) and the LevelMatePRO digital leveling system. The LevelMatePRO connects to your smartphone and tells you exactly what the status of the trailer is (after calibrating with a good carpenter's level first). I could watch the side-to-side level status as I backed into the site to find a sweet spot (if there was one). I then placed the Beech Lane levelers under the low side wheels, got back in the truck, and watched my phone while I backed onto them. Then I chocked the wheels, unhitched, and watched my phone while I leveled front-to-back. The whole process took about 10 minutes.

As part of our analysis to add features to enable continued full-timing as we (mostly "I") age, we looked at adding auto-leveling and came to the conclusion that it was really pricey. I probably would have gone with the Lippert Ground Control just for ease of installation (wires rather than hydraulic lines, pumps and manifolds). In the end, we did what my Dad used to joke about... we "jacked up the radiator cap and drove a new truck under it" - only in our case, it was moving some accessories to a new RV.

Rob
                      Rob & Laura
                      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
                        howson
                        As Howard mentioned it has never been a problem. However I do level a smidge high (1/4 bubble if on soft ground or gravel) on the Lanes to account for settlement.
                        Keith

Comment

Working...
                        X