Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landing gear and jacks pop loud regularily.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landing gear and jacks pop loud regularily.

Good morning all. My hydraulic jack system, particularily the front landing gear pop (sometimes pretty loud with vibration) regularily. Seems especially with change of weather/humidity. Noticeable mostly at night but that's probably because they're right below the bed. Also the floor in the area seems to creeking sound too. 2020 Momentum 397TH. Thanks for any advise/comment or help understanding and hopfully fixing this issue.

Barg

I have heard that this may be caused by low oil , also some have added stiction eliminator to there hydraulic fluid and that has stopped this noise. Hopefully they will chime in here soon.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Good Morning Barg.

Lippert has a solution for the popping noises you're hearing. I'm attaching a link to their technical instruction #TI-191. If you follow the instruction, you should eliminate the popping. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Jim

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0002091.pdf
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

fyi, I did this years ago and never have had to address the issue again.

Comment

Hey y'all. Thanks for the replies. I did fluid exchange recommended by Lippert in June. Worked for awhile. Now it's pretty loud and frequent. We have had drastic temp and humidity charges lately. I guess I will give the exchange another go but try another of the recommended fluids

Comment

Originally posted by Barg View Post
            Hey y'all. Thanks for the replies. I did fluid exchange recommended by Lippert in June. Worked for awhile. Now it's pretty loud and frequent. We have had drastic temp and humidity charges lately. I guess I will give the exchange another go but try another of the recommended fluids
            Same situation here. I did the recommended swap out of two quarts and the popping has returned.

Comment

Thanks this was helpful. Couldn't figure out what that noise was. Tim
              Tim and Nancy
              '19 351M Momentum
              '17 3500 Chev Silverado

Comment

howson (Howard) has sent an email to LCI asking for direction about how to handle repeat issues with this problem. We'll keep you informed if we learn anything.
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

An LCI customer service representative responded to my inquiry. I've edited my question and his response for brevity.

Me: Several members on the GD Owners' Forum have added anti-sticion fluid to their jacks IAW the LCI technical bulletin but they are still having popping jack issues. Is there something you can recommend to me to pass along?

LCI: Normally LCI will recommend the addition of anti sticion fluid such as Fork oil to the system. This anti sticion fluid will help condition the seals within the jacks over a period of time. We find the popping usually occurs during the late evening or early morning hours. This is mainly due to outside temperatures changing the viscosity of the hydraulic fluid. Normally anti sticion fluid will solve the problem but it is not a quick fix. The hydraulic system must be exercised several times over a period of time to get the best results.

If you have any specific questions for LCI (Lippert), give them a call at 574-537-8900 or send them an email at customerservice@lci1.com.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Barg View Post
                    I did the swap using CAT (Caterpillar) anti-stiction fluid, one of the three recommended by Lippert at the time, and haven't had to revisit it. Somewhere on the 'net I picked up the advice that the CAT fluid was the one to buy.

Sorry if the following is obvious and already been considered. I'm no expert but if you "give the exchange another go" then you'll have proportionally more anti-stiction fluid in your hydraulic oil than is recommended by LIppert's instruction. I don't know what are the consequences of that - if any - but would want to know before just repeating the recommended procedure rather than removing most of the hydraulic oil from the reservoir and starting over with new oil and CAT anti-stiction fluid.

Good luck.
                    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

boyscout Since you've got the same LCI hydraulic level up system as me, I'm hoping you can remember the nature of the popping sounds and the circumstances under which the ticking/popping happened. Our unit just started making ticking, popping sounds -- I've confirmed it's from the hydraulic jacks. The pump reservoir has plenty of fluid.

The ticking seems worse when the jacks are extended significantly. This morning, with the trailer in my sloping driveway, the front jacks are extended a lot, and the ticking got pretty bad. I could even put my hand on a jack hose and feel it when a tick happened. The tick frequency was a lot worse this morning: about every 3-4 seconds. When we first noticed some popping, it was on a camping trip a month ago. At that time I thought it was the jack pads slipping on the asphalt pad we had parked on. On that camping trip, the frequency was a tick about ever 30-40 seconds.

When I retracted the jacks (lowered the front of the trailer low to the ground) this morning, the ticking stopped -- even after I raised the front end back up.

I'm quite concerned that if my popping, ticking sound is not the issue being described in this thread, I may have another issue that could result in catastrophic jack failure. That scares me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Steve
                      2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                      Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                      2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                      18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                      640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                      Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                      Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                        Good Morning Barg.

Lippert has a solution for the popping noises you're hearing. I'm attaching a link to their technical instruction #TI-191. If you follow the instruction, you should eliminate the popping. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Jim

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0002091.pdf
                        Jim,

I've done this "fix"... twice. The first time was with one of the recommended fork oils - not much improvement, if any. Most recently (a little over a week ago), I used the CAT hydraulic fluid additive. Last night as things cooled down, the popping was as bad as ever. There seems to be a near-total elimination of popping for the first day or two and then it gradually gets worse again. My theories are that 1) several actuations of the landing gear and slides are necessary in order to evenly disperse the additive in the hydraulic fluid and/or 2) the system needs to be cycled more regularly than is happening while we are marooned with the pandemic. I'm thinking about pulling in the slides and cycling the levelers a couple of times again to see if it helps. I'll try to remember to post an update if there is any improvement.

Rob
                        Rob & Laura
                        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                        2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                        2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                        (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post
                          boyscout Since you've got the same LCI hydraulic level up system as me, I'm hoping you can remember the nature of the popping sounds and the circumstances under which the ticking/popping happened. Our unit just started making ticking, popping sounds -- I've confirmed it's from the hydraulic jacks. The pump reservoir has plenty of fluid.
                          My advice isn't worth much. Different from your experience I was frequently hearing a popping noise while the front jacks (at least) were in motion. At times the trailer seemed to be creaking and lurching (very slightly) up as I raised it. Only once or twice did I notice any noise after the trailer was at rest, which is the experience reported by you and most others who post about this.

Nevertheless after experiencing the in-motion noise and lurching often during the first couple of months of using the trailer I opted to add the CAT anti-stiction fluid to the system. It only cost CDN$50 and 1/2 hour of work so I though it was worth a try. Haven't heard a sound or seen anything but smooth performance from the jacks since. Not even after we lost over a quart of hydraulic fluid from a blown jack and I simply topped up with hydraulic fluid without adding any more anti-stiction fluid.

That's the total of my expertise on the subject, except to say that I've read in a few places that the CAT fluid is the only one to buy, and have read a couple of reports of others using one of the other two brands recommended by Lippert and subsequently having to re-do the job.

Good luck.
                          Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Working...
                          X