Bent front jack repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent front jack repair

Has anyone repairs a hydraulic jack which has increased the angle from 90 degrees. Apparently, the angle of the base plate was such that, instead of pushing the front straight up - it started "tilting" it instead. I can't see where it is bent/damaged. The piston still works although makes one hell of a noise while in operation. I'm at an RV repair shop for at least 2-3 weeks waiting for a new jack. What I'm wondering if anyone had this happen and did it require cutting off the bracket and re-installing in order to have it back to 90 degrees? I'm planning on replacing the other side as well even though it looks straight - it make the same horrible sounds when extending and/or retracting.
    Attached Files
    2020 Momentum 397TH - 2019 Ram 3500 - ICON Golf Cart 40L - 1200 watts solar - 600 amps battery

Yikes - That looks really bad, Probably a good idea to replace both of them.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I plan to. The problem is I can't tell "where" the bending is coming from. Jack, bracket or (gulp) frame. I can't see any damage, bulges, bends, cracks, etc. Hard to believe the frame bracket would not break/crack/bend before the frame. There is about a 1/4" difference (more) in a gap between the bracket and frame compared to the other side. I'm hoping that the solution is to cut off the bracket, resize it and re-weld so that the jack fits back at or close to 90 degrees. The piston inside the jack housing "might" be somewhat bent as well but is still able to move (?). The frame is slightly off compared to the other side but I can't tell if that is tell tell of a bent frame or sorta a "chicken and the egg" situation where the jack isn't supporting that side of the frame directly under it and is instead, imparting some stress off center.
      2020 Momentum 397TH - 2019 Ram 3500 - ICON Golf Cart 40L - 1200 watts solar - 600 amps battery

Comment

CaptDan

You haven't mentioned exactly which model this is, but I would start by finding a same/similar model and taking some measurements. I don't think this style of landing gear is completely vertical in the first place. Both sides toe out significantly as designed. Definitely not as much as in your picture!

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

2020 Momentum 397TH - I've attached a pic for shortly after we bought it. it does seem to angle very slightly - but not much. I'm more worried that the frame is bent ... It seems to be a wee bit but I can't tell if it's leaning because its bent or because the jack is pushing it that way. I guess I need to hitch it up and then take a look - but it is what it is and hopefully soon the RV shops guys come and take it to the shop for a closer look. I'm hoping we can just burn off the bracket and re-install a new one to ensure the (new) jack is positioned in a normal fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptDan View Post
            I'm more worried that the frame is bent...
            If you're able and it is safe, crawl under there with a camera and take pictures of the attachment point. The jack itself is not bent (or it wouldn't work at all) so that leaves two(?) possibilities: the attachment bolts are extremely loose or something is bent (badly!) where the jack and frame meet.

Please post what you find.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Will do. have to wait for RV shop to get replacement jacks then they will install left front. Then send me to a welding shop to remove bracket and weld new one on. If frame is bent, rather than just the bracket, hope to modify the bracket to take that into account and then weld back on - attached new right front jack. need to discuss with GD and Lippert as to proper "angle" as they have always angled out a wee bit. hard to believe frame is bent .. but it is what it is. will update in a week or two - hopefully.

Comment

CaptDan Dan, What year is the trailer? Is it possible that that is covered under the warranty??
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Past warranty. (Limited one year warranty - Lippert). I put in an insurance claim with Progressive, so we'll see how that works out. They already asked if the rig was loaded loaded differently... or if I tried auto level while hooked up ....come on man!...

Comment

That does not fall under the frame warranty if the attachment points failed?
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Frame and leveling system is only one year. sad

Comment

Frame and leveling system is only one year. sad
                        If you find broken welds or bent frame or bracket please get pictures and send to Lippert and GD , you may get some help from them.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

It's the weekend now and the RV shop folks are booked for a couple weeks out before they can take a look see. I have had them go ahead and order replacement jacks whether the existing ones are OK or not. As it is, both make a horrible sound when in use and I can't believe either is OK after being subjected to the tilt I experienced. I have been under the front of the rig numerous times and cannot find any damage or any possible bending of either the jack housing or bracket. That leaves the frame. There is only one small section where if If I "slide" a 9" level along it's length, it seems very slightly "off" and then straightens again. However, the deviation is in the fore and aft axis which wouldn't seem to contribute to the bracket/jack being angled outwards. I've tried to use my I phone's leveling app to measure the I beam's vertical position compared to the left side and it does appear to show 3-4 degrees different (86-87 degrees) than the left side which is showing 90 degrees. Of course I now ask myself is the I beam bending because it's "bent"? or is it bending because the jack is pushing it that way. Now I'm second guessing having the rig disconnected from the truck. If the jack is stressing the frame, perhaps I need to install something in place of the hydraulic jack? If it's the I beam that's currently 'twisted" inwards 3-4 degrees - can that be straightened/reinforced? Or in the short term, have the bracket removed then modified to compensate for the frame. Since we are not in a big city (Sheridan, Wyoming) and the RV shop has already said that they are not going to mess with any welding (If need be they have a good welding shop down the road) if we modify the bracket, could we not then use the rig safety until I got somewhere with the capability to work on the frame? Unfortunately, there's not much on the web regarding this type of damage/repair. Naturally. yes - I plan to call Lippert again myself on Monday to discuss. Unfortunately, this RV repair shop (Nice folks) seems to be happy to replace the jacks but provide a blank stare when I start talking about the bracket or frame.

Comment

It's the weekend now and the RV shop folks are booked for a couple weeks out before they can take a look see. I have had them go ahead and order replacement jacks whether the existing ones are OK or not. As it is, both make a horrible sound when in use and I can't believe either is OK after being subjected to the tilt I experienced. I have been under the front of the rig numerous times and cannot find any damage or any possible bending of either the jack housing or bracket. That leaves the frame. There is only one small section where if If I "slide" a 9" level along it's length, it seems very slightly "off" and then straightens again. However, the deviation is in the fore and aft axis which wouldn't seem to contribute to the bracket/jack being angled outwards. I've tried to use my I phone's leveling app to measure the I beam's vertical position compared to the left side and it does appear to show 3-4 degrees different (86-87 degrees) than the left side which is showing 90 degrees. Of course I now ask myself is the I beam bending because it's "bent"? or is it bending because the jack is pushing it that way. Now I'm second guessing having the rig disconnected from the truck. If the jack is stressing the frame, perhaps I need to install something in place of the hydraulic jack? If it's the I beam that's currently 'twisted" inwards 3-4 degrees - can that be straightened/reinforced? Or in the short term, have the bracket removed then modified to compensate for the frame. Since we are not in a big city (Sheridan, Wyoming) and the RV shop has already said that they are not going to mess with any welding (If need be they have a good welding shop down the road) if we modify the bracket, could we not then use the rig safety until I got somewhere with the capability to work on the frame? Unfortunately, there's not much on the web regarding this type of damage/repair. Naturally. yes - I plan to call Lippert again myself on Monday to discuss. Unfortunately, this RV repair shop (Nice folks) seems to be happy to replace the jacks but provide a blank stare when I start talking about the bracket or frame.
                            Good morning
                            Can you please get pictures inside the front bay of the jacks and thier attachment to the frame on each side. This might allow someone with sharp eyes spot something that might have been missed. Also knowing the year and model of your unit may help (complete your signature block). I thought frame (structure) had a 3 year warrentee - but I am probably wrong. As bent as it is consider a block and jack stand under the frame at that point in case it lets loose.

Keith
                            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Sorry. I usually start my posts with 2020 Momentum 397. I haven't figured out (or noticed) where my "signature block" editing feature is. I will try finding it. I just went under for the 4th time a few minutes ago. I will post some photos but for the love of God, there is nothing to see that it out of the ordinary. Everything is straight, no cracks bubbles, imperfections, at least on the surface. I finally got my I-phone leveling app to work and made numerous measurements. The right I beam at the bracket is from 1 degree off vertical at the bottom to 3 degrees at the top portion. The left side is the opposite, 3 degrees at bottom to 1-2 at top. The left jack mimics these readings. However, the right bracket and jack is basically 6-7 degrees off vertical. That's 3-4 degrees more than the I beam it's welded to. I had already measured a gap at the bottom of the bracket between the bracket and the I beam was a full 1/4" more than left side. So I'm guessing (right now) that the bracket is somehow bent and I just cannot simply see it. Because i would think if the bracket is cut off and re-aligned square against the I beam, it's going to pretty much align up the same way (or close to) the left side readings. I'm also assuming that both jacks were original 1-3 degrees off vertical to start with. I'll attach some pics that I already sent to the insurance company and try to take some more close ups.

Comment

Working...
                              X