50 amp vs. 80 amp Breaker for Solitude Hydraulic Leveling System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 amp vs. 80 amp Breaker for Solitude Hydraulic Leveling System

Any Solitude or Momentum owners on here with hydraulic slides? I have a friend on the road who is having a problem with his landing gear running very slowly. I remember an issue with some Solitudes where the 50 amp circuit breaker was causing the issue and GDRV recommended switching to an 80 amp breaker.

It's a 2018 Solitude, and the battery has a good state of charge.

I' e searched the forum and I'm not coming up with any history on this.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

The 50 amp breaker was annoying as it would open and reset making hydraulic operation tedious. The breaker was not the cause of slow operation. I had that hydraulic system on a previous trailer. I replaced the 50 with an 80 amp breaker to eliminate the too frequent tripping of the 50 amp. There was an LCI tip sheet to that effect.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Jim

I have heard this and read this numerous times. The switch to the 80 amp breaker solved the problem.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The motor can draw current up to 67 amps as measured by a tech on my trailer. It's a 1 hp motor.

80 amp breaker lippert0058.pdf
        Attached Files
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Jim JCR GD as I recall shared several posts on this over the years. Possibly Jim will chime in too.

Dan
          Dan & Carol
          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

In our case we could here the clicking of the breaker as it tripped and then reset. Pretty good indication that something was wrong. However, the root problem was a bad battery. I was not able to find anything larger than a 50 amp breaker for replacement, but that and a good battery solved the problem.
            John
            2018 Momentum 395M
            2018 Ram 3500 Dually
            Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Thanks Dan, yes I had the problem but it wasn't slow moving it was stop and go. The breaker problem is too much amp draw causing the 50 amp breaker to trip so operation would stop until breaker reset then you could press button and resume. Slow process that is stop and go not just slow moving.

If it's just slow moving not sure what that might be other than lubrication, fluid level etc.
              Jim (& Sharon)
              2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
              2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
              The toys:
              2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
              2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by JCR GD View Post
                Thanks Dan, yes I had the problem but it wasn't slow moving it was stop and go. The breaker problem is too much amp draw causing the 50 amp breaker to trip so operation would stop until breaker reset then you could press button and resume. Slow process that is stop and go not just slow moving.

If it's just slow moving not sure what that might be other than lubrication, fluid level etc.
                Jim - appreciate you checking in. You have always had a wealth of factual knowledge and been most helpful to our RV forums community.

Thanks, again !

Dan
                Dan & Carol
                2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Could be one or more poor connections dropping voltage and current. Check the voltage at the + post on the trombetta when operating the Hydraulics. Should not be more than 1 volt less than battery voltage.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Slow or not moving slides and jacks could be that the valves from the pump are partially closed restricting flow. Might be worth verifying.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks all. By "slow moving", it could very well have been stop and go.

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK
                      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                      X