Best way to reduce wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to reduce wobble

First time posting, I apologize if this has been covered and I couldn’t find it or the post is in the wrong forum. Looking for recommendations on the best way to stabilize our Solitude 372WB when set up and leveled. We’re experiencing a tremendous amount of wobble, the trailer moves a lot when my wife and I (or even our dog!) walk around, not to mention when the washing machine is running. I’ve read so many different suggestions in the Facebook group I’m not sure what works best. I’m leaning toward jack stands but I’ve also read about x-chocks being helpful. We set up and stay in place for several months at a time but don’t have a lot of extra room to bring concrete or wood blocks with us to set the jacks on
    Bill & Dawn Croteau - Full time since 6/19 in 2020 Solitude 372WB - 2019 F350 Lariat Ultimate 4x4 CCLB dually with 3.55 LS - Reese GooseBox 20K

Originally posted by BCroteau View Post
    First time posting, I apologize if this has been covered and I couldn’t find it or the post is in the wrong forum. Looking for recommendations on the best way to stabilize our Solitude 372WB when set up and leveled. We’re experiencing a tremendous amount of wobble, the trailer moves a lot when my wife and I (or even our dog!) walk around, not to mention when the washing machine is running. I’ve read so many different suggestions in the Facebook group I’m not sure what works best. I’m leaning toward jack stands but I’ve also read about x-chocks being helpful. We set up and stay in place for several months at a time but don’t have a lot of extra room to bring concrete or wood blocks with us to set the jacks on

Welcome to the forum

Look at the Steadyfast system. Works very well on my unit. http://www.steadyfast.com/

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I can not imagine that with the 6 point level jacks that you are experiencing that much wobble. Do you have blocks or anything under the jacks? If so , can you move any of the blocks after you auto level?

There are plenty of bolt on "gadgets" that folks have tried and some have good reviews , others not so good. We just use wheel chocks and the jacks and do experience some wobble but I have not tried anything to reduce this as there seems to be not one item in particular that solves the problem.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

BCroteau

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

An RV trailer is never going to be as stable as residential construction, but with six hydraulic levelling legs, you already have one of the most stable configurations. A pin tripod may help with the motion from the washing machine. I have not found X chocks to be of much help because the motion of the trailer is primarily side-to-side and chocks stabilize fore-aft. The Steadyfast system referenced earlier works well for many.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

We have used the X-chocks on our 2 previous travel trailers as well as our current fifth wheel, all with good results. Since this is our first fifth wheel we wondered if we would need a stabilizer for the pin but we both feel the X-chocks are enough.
          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I've used the Strongarm system on a previous trailer. The steadfast looks interesting. Although my 310rls doesn't seem to wobble much.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              BCroteau

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

An RV trailer is never going to be as stable as residential construction, but with six hydraulic levelling legs, you already have one of the most stable configurations. A pin tripod may help with the motion from the washing machine. I have not found X chocks to be of much help because the motion of the trailer is primarily side-to-side and chocks stabilize fore-aft. The Steadyfast system referenced earlier works well for many.

Rob
              Thanks Rob, I’ll check the post out. I agree that with six jacks we shouldn’t really have that much wobble but we do. The site we’re currently in is fairly level but the drivers side is lower than the door side. The jacks aren’t really extended any further than they should be/usually are. Not even sure if there’s a tripod made that works with our GooseBox, but we use that area up front as a garage anyway and I’d hate to lose it.

Bill & Dawn Croteau - Full time since 6/19 in 2020 Solitude 372WB - 2019 F350 Lariat Ultimate 4x4 CCLB dually with 3.55 LS - Reese GooseBox 20K

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Welcome to the forum

Look at the Steadyfast system. Works very well on my unit. http://www.steadyfast.com/
                I checked the Steadfast system out and it definitely looks promising. Their website didn’t seem to have any pictures of the jack system that’s on our Solitude and another complication is that we use Snap Pads. Looks like I could adapt their foot attachment by adding a spacer though. Also not sure about drilling into the frame, is that doable with a regular drill? What type of rig do you have? Any pics of your installation?

Comment

Originally posted by BCroteau View Post

I checked the Steadfast system out and it definitely looks promising. Their website didn’t seem to have any pictures of the jack system that’s on our Solitude and another complication is that we use Snap Pads. Looks like I could adapt their foot attachment by adding a spacer though. Also not sure about drilling into the frame, is that doable with a regular drill? What type of rig do you have? Any pics of your installation?
                  No pictures. His kit includes the drill bit and chamfer bit (at least it used too) Give them a call. Owner answers the phone. Great folks to work with and he can customize his kit for you rig.
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

BCroteau

If you are only using the snappads and no blocking underneath you may try some blocking. Keeping the jacks as close to the frame usually helps with the movement of the trailer. I usually put down at least 5" of blocking.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Also if you get to a site where the ground is soft or wet the trailer will usually settle a bit after the first night and wobble more. If you have an auto level system relevel the trailer. This should push the levelers down to reset with the ground. This will probably disable your hitch height feature so next time you go to leave you'll have to manually adjust your height before hitching.
                      Charles and Susan
                      2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
                      Andersen Hitch
                      2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by ckreef View Post
                        Also if you get to a site where the ground is soft or wet the trailer will usually settle a bit after the first night and wobble more. If you have an auto level system relevel the trailer. This should push the levelers down to reset with the ground. This will probably disable your hitch height feature so next time you go to leave you'll have to manually adjust your height before hitching.
                        Good point! We've been in place for almost two months now so I think I'll auto-level again. I've never used the hitch height feature so no problems there . . .

Comment

BCroteau Welcome to the family and the forum! Ours has been sitting on semi packed ABC for about 3 months and steadily becomes a little more and more "wobbly" but I am the only one that feels it. I do block under my jacks. When we get back from this weekends trip, I am going to back up on blocks to raise it up a bit since I am looking forward to ( planned sarcasm) pulling wheels and hubs soon.
                          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                          Nash County, NC
                          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                            BCroteau...try some blocking. Keeping the jacks as close to the frame usually helps with the movement of the trailer.
                            This has been my experience. I used X-Chocks for our first two 5th wheels. Didn't notice any difference really. I'm now using large chunks of 6x6 wood along with 2x12's under that. The shorter the jacks are extended, the less "wobble" you'll feel. But, the spin cycle of our LG washing machine still shakes our RV a lot. There is no way around that. It's an RV, not a house built on a concrete foundation.
                            Brian & Kellie
                            2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                            2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                            2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                            2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

This has been my experience. I used X-Chocks for our first two 5th wheels. Didn't notice any difference really. I'm now using large chunks of 6x6 wood along with 2x12's under that. The shorter the jacks are extended, the less "wobble" you'll feel. But, the spin cycle of our LG washing machine still shakes our RV a lot. There is no way around that. It's an RV, not a house built on a concrete foundation.
                              Yeah, not really expecting to eliminate wobble when the washer is running, just reduce it. We get a lot of movement just walking around. I'll be blocking the jacks, we'll see what happens

Comment

Working...
                              X