Leveling without unhooking 5th wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leveling without unhooking 5th wheel

We have 2019 303RLS with auto levelers. When traveling and just staying overnight without unhooking, what is best way to level? Auto level or manual level? I know enough not to have the front jacks raise the truck up more than it goes down (from weight of hitch) when hooking up.
    Thanks
    Jim & Dot
    Richfield, WI.
    2021 Reflections 303RLS 5th wheel
    2015 GMC 2500HD Double Cab w/Duramax

Originally posted by Jim-Dot View Post
    We have 2019 303RLS with auto levelers. When traveling and just staying overnight without unhooking, what is best way to level? Auto level or manual level? I know enough not to have the front jacks raise the truck up more than it goes down (from weight of hitch) when hooking up.
    Thanks
    That is an extremely location dependant variable. If you do not want to disconnect, autolevel is a big, huge no-no. Believe it or not, your fridge actually plays into the equation. A residential or 12V only fride will tolerate being out of level much more than a fridge on gas. The rack and pinion slides tolerate being unstable more than the Schwintek. The queen can get to her throne without opening slides so we are not as affected. I can open the kitchen slide (Schwentek) to get to the fridge, but I have to be very comfortable about doing so, but if I hear the slide struggling I will stop and level before moving it any futher.
    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Jim-Dot Jim, for what it's worth, if you only hit the autolevel button 1 time, it will reset to hitch height automatically. I disconnect every time b/c on several occasions I have read the level incorrectly and the hitch needed to be lower (tired after long day of driving). I only pull the truck forward enough to close the gate. in the AM, drop gate, hit autohitch, and all is good. I do typically lower the front a couple of seconds just to ensure it's low enough for proper engagement.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post

Believe it or not, your fridge actually plays into the equation. A residential or 12V only fridge will tolerate being out of level much more than a fridge on gas.
        I was always curious about this, so I performed the calculations one day to see how much is "too much". Most gas refrigerators state that the unit can not be more than 3° from side to side, and 6° from front to back.

In Jim-Dot's post, he's referring to a 303 where the side to side for the refrigerator is front to back on the RV. The 303RLS is 32'9" long (393"), and 8' long (96").

Front to back (RV) = sin(3°) x 393" = 20.57"
        Side to side (RV) = sin(6°) x 96" = 10.03"

So on their 303, the RV would need to be out of level by 20-1/2" front to back, or 10" side to side in order for the refrigerator to exceed its specified level criteria. That would be uncomfortably out of level.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I was always curious about this, so I performed the calculations one day to see how much is "too much". Most gas refrigerators state that the unit can not be more than 3° from side to side, and 6° from front to back.

In Jim-Dot's post, he's referring to a 303 where the side to side for the refrigerator is front to back on the RV. The 303RLS is 32'9" long (393"), and 8' long (96").

Front to back (RV) = sin(3°) x 393" = 20.57"
          Side to side (RV) = sin(6°) x 96" = 10.03"

So on their 303, the RV would need to be out of level by 20-1/2" front to back, or 10" side to side in order for the refrigerator to exceed its specified level criteria. That would be uncomfortably out of level.

Jim
          Well, We haven't had (ain't never) a LP fridge, so I haven't ever considered the actual numbers. Thanks for the info.
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Thank for the replies.
            Our short overnight stops must include shore power, therefore the fridge on gas is not a question. I just want the trailer level enough so I don't roll out of bed or have head lower that feet. I guess I will operate jacks in manual mode being cautious not to put any strain on hitch or king-pin.
            Thanks
            Jim & Dot
            Richfield, WI.
            2021 Reflections 303RLS 5th wheel
            2015 GMC 2500HD Double Cab w/Duramax

Comment

This might just be me, but I don't think it is that horrendous a task to unhook in the p.m. and then re-hook the 5er in the a.m. Usually by the end of the day's travel it is time to refuel the Ram, something I much prefer to do without having to drag a 44' trailer with me (There is not all ways a big rig friendly fuel station nearby and I've had to back out of a few tight situations). I haven't actually timed it, but the two minutes it takes me to unhook and re-hook is time well spent, and I don't have to worry about using or not using the auto-level.
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
              X