Lippert 3.0 attach to ball wont go down all the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lippert 3.0 attach to ball wont go down all the way

So this has happened several time with my 2021 303rls. I have the Anderson hitch setup and love it, when I lower the hitch to the ball it will go over the ball 50% then just stop. I can raise it up again but then same thing happens when trying to hitch up. The kicker is I can get it 50% down on the ball then hit retract all and it goes down no problem. Took it to my dealer today and there stumped of course they have not tried it but unsure what to look for. When we first got the trailer with the Anderson hitch as long as your anywhere in the cone it worked great. Im thinking the controller?
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

I have had headaches with my Ground Control 3.0 since I bought the trailer. The jacks seem to lose their way, and think they're retracted when they're not or think their extended when they're not. You have to mess with homing to get them to work correctly, at least I did in my case. Pain in the neck. I also was using the Lippert remote control to operate them. Seemed every time I used it, when I went to level the trailer, one or more jacks would either not retract or would not extend. I have not had any issues since I stopped using the remote.
    Secondary problem... I have a 2016 303RLS. In March of this year, while attempting to level the trailer, one of the front jacks broke, very loudly. Motor was still turning, but jack no longer went up or down. I ended up using the other jack to put the trailer back on the truck, and we finished our camping for several more days. I was worried if the second one broke, I would not be able to get the trailer back on the truck. The dealer replaced both jacks under extended warranty. They said the load suddenly on the good jack may have damaged it too, so they replaced them both. So it is entirely possible I had defective front jacks from day 1, and one finally failed. Time will tell.
    Tony G
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
    2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
    KTM 250XC

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
      So this has happened several time with my 2021 303rls. I have the Anderson hitch setup and love it, when I lower the hitch to the ball it will go over the ball 50% then just stop. I can raise it up again but then same thing happens when trying to hitch up. The kicker is I can get it 50% down on the ball then hit retract all and it goes down no problem. Took it to my dealer today and there stumped of course they have not tried it but unsure what to look for. When we first got the trailer with the Anderson hitch as long as your anywhere in the cone it worked great. Im thinking the controller?
      Are you using the auto hitch height when this happens?

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Theres no auto hitch there is a return to hitch height but I did not use it the last time out.
        2021 Reflection 303RLS
        Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Dennis66 Dennis, I don't think the retract all button is designed for completing the hitch process. It could be that the unit is seeing a change in load when retracting thus tripping the stop. When it see's this, the correction is most likely to extend the jacks (thinking there is something between the jack and the base or it's completely retracted).

On my camper, I fully retract the rear jacks by hitting the hitch height button (this has a set of parameters that have to be met for it to work properly also), then manually raise the front jacks till they clear the blocks then I press the retract all. While retracting, I raise the extensions and put the blocks in the back of the truck.

Have you looked at the panel to see where it thinks the jacks are when fully retracted? None of mine are at 0" when fully retracted and not certain of how to reset the fully retracted reading.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

I do the same thing hit hitch height rears go up and front returns to hitch height. Then I back truck in and lower the front this is where it will go over the ball then stop. If I did not hit retract all I would still be at the campground. Maybe I should give Lippert a call
            2021 Reflection 303RLS
            Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

I retract the rears. Manually set my hitch height. Back the truck to connect. Verify the connection. Hit retract all to finish hitching. I have never used select hitch height.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Does this happen at different camping sites?

I am having a hard time thinking that this is in the 3.0 system. If it does not go on then you raise it and then it goes down far enough to engage the hitch ball it should have done this forever not just starting to do it now. Something has changed or there may be an issue with the hitch , I do not think it is with the 3.0 system.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

What happens when you try raising and lowering in the manual mode?
                  If the jacks are fully retracted and it still will not go low enough to dock, then somehow maybe the truck bed changed height since you last disconnected.
                  If the jacks are in full retract position, then somehow you need to get the truck higher to be able to connect. I would suggest manually raising the jacks to gain perhaps 2 more inches, then pull the truck out, put a couple 2X4 pieces of wood or some other ramp under the wheels to raise the truck bed. Back up onto the wood then. This should then allow you to pull the truck under the hitch and you should now have enough retract to get it to dock. If you have load leveling air, maybe the air pressure reduced, lowering the bed height?
                  Tony G
                  KTM 250XC

Comment

If this continues to be a problem, I suggest not dropping the front jacks as far down. Leave more space between the jack feet and the ground. It will require more movement of your jack motors to get it to the ground and raise the trailer, but now you have that much more retract you can use to re-dock.
                    Tony G
                    KTM 250XC

Comment

Dennis66 Dennis, next time pay attention to what's happening. My guess is the controller senses amp draw to the motors. If that's the case it could be that the andersen is sliding into position and allowing a significant enough change in amps to trip the system to think it's reached the end of travel. This theory may be hard to test as the camper is probably physically moving on the front jacks making alignment at that moment and when you extend then retract again it's already aligned.

With the andersen do you have to grease the top of the ball?? Your lubrication on the ball may be starting to need refreshing, or the couple may need cleaning.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

No grease needed, the legs I would say have about 8 in to retract fully its not hitting anything it just stops and the front legs still on the ground and no load on the truck.. If there was something stopping it then retract all would not let it down all the way. Its a weird one. When I pick trailer up next time the tech is going to come out so he can see what Im talking about
                        2021 Reflection 303RLS
                        Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Working...
                        X