Lippert Leveling System not leveling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lippert Leveling System not leveling

I have now re-calibrated our LIppert Leveling system 4 times and it still does not work. We have a 2020 31MB Refelctioin 5th wheel. When we arrive at a location, the first thing we do is to break out our 24" level and check the level side to side. We calculate how many of teh Camco leveling block we need to make us level side to side. After that has been set, we make certain the front jack have teh same number holes showing on both sides, in this case "8". Next we put enough Camco leveling block under each of the front pads so that there in about 1" to 2" of space. Depending on the ground, one side may have one addtional Camco block to make up for the uneven ground. Next we go to the back Lippert leveling jacks and do the same thing. We start the Auto Leveling system and all seems to go good, then all of a sudden, the front jacks keep going and typlically the right side wheels start going off the ground and we stop the system. I put in it manual mode, bring everything back down, leveling it manually. Then turn off the Lippert system, push the front button 5 times, rear button 5 times, then it re-calibrates, and select enter. I tray it again, same thing happens. I am at a loss.
    Tony

Originally posted by tlspandrio View Post
    I have now re-calibrated our LIppert Leveling system 4 times and it still does not work. We have a 2020 31MB Refelctioin 5th wheel. When we arrive at a location, the first thing we do is to break out our 24" level and check the level side to side. We calculate how many of teh Camco leveling block we need to make us level side to side. After that has been set, we make certain the front jack have teh same number holes showing on both sides, in this case "8". Next we put enough Camco leveling block under each of the front pads so that there in about 1" to 2" of space. Depending on the ground, one side may have one addtional Camco block to make up for the uneven ground. Next we go to the back Lippert leveling jacks and do the same thing. We start the Auto Leveling system and all seems to go good, then all of a sudden, the front jacks keep going and typlically the right side wheels start going off the ground and we stop the system. I put in it manual mode, bring everything back down, leveling it manually. Then turn off the Lippert system, push the front button 5 times, rear button 5 times, then it re-calibrates, and select enter. I tray it again, same thing happens. I am at a loss.
    Tony
    My guess would be that you have a faulty level sensor or connection to the level sensor. If you are still under warranty this is something that the dealer should repair. If not under warranty a call to Lippert to explain what you done and what the control is doing. Be at the RV when you make this call as they may want to walk thru what you are doing step by step.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I agree with Brian, sounds like sensor problem. There have been some reports of sensors coming loose or never installed properly. My understanding is the sensors are above the belly cover near the frame on each side behind the wheels. Drop a bit of the belly cover and you may find the sensor laying on top of it.
      Jim (& Sharon)
      2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
      2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
      The toys:
      2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
      2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by tlspandrio View Post
        Tony
        I wonder if you are overdoing things prior to hitting "auto level", and confusing the brain. We are on our second fifth wheel and over 50K miles (combined) with this leveling system. I have only used a small block under one or two wheels a couple of times at sites with a severe grade. And never under any of the jacks themselves. Unit levels perfectly every time, although you do occasionally have to recalibrate, maybe once or twice a year. Your front sensor will be in the compartment intended for a generator, screwed to the ceiling. There will be another at the rear mounted similar, but will be concealed by cloroplast and maybe insulation. They should be mounted in the center of the width of the trailer, and have a large arrow indicating "front" or "rear".
        Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
        2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
        2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
        2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
        Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

With my leveling system, you need to be nose high before you start the Auto Level. You can determine this by cycling through the readings until you see front to back degrees and side to side degrees. This can also help you determine if you need blocks under one side to get it more level side to side. My rig usually is nose high after I disconnect from the truck, so I don't have to bring it up anymore.

The first thing it does when you Auto Level is bring down the front jacks, then the rear extend, and then the leveling begins. Mine have lost their way many times. When I get the error during auto-level, you first have to acknowledge the error, then I Retract ALL and try again. This error typically occurred after I had used my remote control to control the jacks. Once I stopped using that remote, the system seemed to work better. That was until one of my front jacks broke (literally and with a loud noise) and would no longer move one of the front jacks (motor would run but no movement). Dealer replaced both front jacks and so far it is working well. Makes me also wonder if the front jacks initially had a problem from the beginning and it just took a while until one broke.

I highly suggest using the readings of the control panel to determine what it "thinks" is left to right and front to back degrees of tilt. Once you achieve "level" by Auto Level, use your 24" level to see where it is within the trailer. Check several locations within the trailer. Note that in my past experience with trailers, counters may or may not be level when the trailer is truly level. Also, there are sometimes differences in levelness on the floor of the lower ares vs. the higher front area (we are talking about a 5th wheel). I have used a racquetball on the floor to see if it is really level. If the ball rolls by itself, it is not level (in that area). It will also tell you which area is high and low. The 24" level will do the same (I just didn't have one with me at the time).
          Tony G
          2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
          2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
          KTM 250XC

Comment

My 2021 303rls levels with any height on front, I have also had to re-cal once this year
            2021 Reflection 303RLS
            2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
            Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Our dealer installed these using dabs of caulk as freebies prior to delivery. They are old school, but are really useful. When we pull into a site we now without using any electronics if we are level side to side (for us, each increment represents about one 1" pad under the low side trailers) and if we are nose high or low (helps determine number of 1" pads under front jacks).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Visual Levels.jpg
Views:	1691
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	64681

We generally shoot for 4" to 8" of jack extension and place pads for the jacks accordingly. The manual says for the front to return to "Hitch Height" you need to start with the nose high and we generally try to do this.

The system has not been trouble free, but no major issues (one jack did have small leak on delivery but that was replaced under warranty).
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
              X