Stowing the front jacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stowing the front jacks

After hitching up, stowing the front jacks to their fully up position is pretty difficult. I pull the pin and lift the 'foot pad' of the jack and it moves up fine until the last 6-10cm. Then I can't lift it with one hand. The other hand is busy holding the pin out. So I have to sit on the ground and get my leg/knee involved in the operation.
    The trailer has always been like this, just figured it was tight because it was new and things would loosen up over time...but it hasn't.
    Is lubing these jacks with some sort of lube ok?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

I occasionally spray the tubes with WD40 with silicone.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Yes, I occasionally will hook up my rig to the truck and extend the jacks fully and lubricate them. Some kind of dry lube that won't attract dirt is ideal.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Silicone was recommended at the Lippert seminar at the rally. They suggested 2-3 times per year, depending on use and surroundings.
        Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
        Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
        2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
        Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
        Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Next time you are hooked to the truck, let the center fall to full extension and clean with brake cleaner or WD. Once clean, lift to full height and repeat. After you get the drop legs "clean" find either a dry graphic spray or dry silicone / PTFE lube for the drop legs. Try to avoid any type of wet lube as dust and other things will stick to it over time causing issues.

On my 1st 5er, the dealer GREASED the drop legs. Everything under the sun stuck to the blue grease they used.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

I will typically wipe them clean and then use a silicone spray lube as well. 3-4 times per year depending on debris, weather and dust. The one part that I find gets really "sticky" is the pin itself - I'm finding that one tough to lubricate effectively - not much to work with on either side of the leg.
            Ken & Sandra
            2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

KSC_Travels next time you are hooked to the TV, remove the 2 bolts that hold the pin in place, rotate till pin points down, and douse that thing out with all kinds of stuff. I'm thinking of trying this stuff out as it's for locks so that it does not attract too much garbage. https://www.amazon.com/HOUD1-Houdini.../dp/B00C5JFKKE another one I recently learned of is https://fedpro.com/pages/freeall?utm...m-url-redirect , no research on it yet, but been thinking about getting some.
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by KSC_Travels View Post
                I will typically wipe them clean and then use a silicone spray lube as well. 3-4 times per year depending on debris, weather and dust. The one part that I find gets really "sticky" is the pin itself - I'm finding that one tough to lubricate effectively - not much to work with on either side of the leg.
                I've pulled my pins apart and cleaned and lubricated them a few times. I've actually found they're a bit bent, which is probably most of the resistance I get from them during use. Probably the next time I pull them apart I'll replace them.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I added an eye bolt to make a lift handle. It helps to lift the leg straighter. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210908_124819.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	65412
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

TedS Great idea on the eye bolt (could just be a long bolt with double nuts).

Now all it needs is a spring to auto retract. I think that would need to be an internal thing though so it can have the right tension.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                      KSC_Travels next time you are hooked to the TV, remove the 2 bolts that hold the pin in place, rotate till pin points down, and douse that thing out with all kinds of stuff. I'm thinking of trying this stuff out as it's for locks so that it does not attract too much garbage. https://www.amazon.com/HOUD1-Houdini.../dp/B00C5JFKKE another one I recently learned of is https://fedpro.com/pages/freeall?utm...m-url-redirect , no research on it yet, but been thinking about getting some.
                      I was wondering about doing that... will give that a shot. Thanks for the suggestion Jlawles2 ncitro
                      Ken & Sandra
                      2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

Some suggestions...
                        Do not use white lithium grease. That tends to gum it up over time. Works great when first put on, but then dries out and gets sticky. WD40 or Dri-Slide works good for me.

With this being said, I also have installed stabilizer bars on the front jacks. These, of course, need to have the "T" handle loosened to extend or retract.

BUT, and this was discovered when I also had trouble pulling up the jacks to retract after connection. It is critical that the stabilizers be aligned properly. If they are twisted, just a bit, they will then tend to twist the jacks too, which results in them dragging and binding. To solve, I loosened the bolts attaching the stabilizer bars to the jacks, and visually aligned (smaller square tube into larger square tube). Then check for more binding. I followed this method until the jacks did not bind at all going up or down. Then tightened them back up. Jacks work great now with one hand.
                        Tony G
                        2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
                        2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
                        KTM 250XC

Comment

Working...
                        X