Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want more ground clearance with back leveling jacks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want more ground clearance with back leveling jacks.

Recently purchased a 2022 GD Reflection 260RD with Lippert Leveling system. The back jacks are only about 6" off the ground, which would be disastrous if one came off a curb that was higher than the jack. I'd like to raise the two back ones as high as possible. Looks like I can move it up about 2" or thereabouts. Is there any reason that shouldn't be done? With both upper and lower manual controls, I assume I won't need the top one if I can get at the bottom one, correct?? Thoughts???

If you can move the jacks up with out any issues then by all means do it, more ground clearance the better.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS Oct.2017 build date, EMS-HW50C , Lippert Remote
    2015 Chevy 3500HD CC LB Duramax , Reese Elite 18K

Comment

Grt520 I did just this on my previous 5er. Moved the jacks up to the highest possible position where the motor was almost touching the floor. Only thing I noticed was longer setup time due to jacks needing to extend farther.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2018 GMC K2500 Denali Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

You'll also get more "movement" in the trailer with the jacks having to extend further.
        Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
        2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
        2020 Momentum 351M
        2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

I have a 2016 303RLS with this leveling system. I moved the jacks up I think about 2 inches to almost the floor, although the dealer told me they could not be moved (perhaps better stated that they would not do it). You CAN access the manual extend/retract method on the bottom, just takes longer than the top to manually retract. The trailer was sitting on a 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 with air bags. Sat pretty level. Then I bought a 2020 Chevy 3500 Silverado. Trailer was then nose high a bit. This also had the effect of lowering the back jacks some more to the point that one of them did catch a curb as I backed into my driveway (never did with the old truck). Bent the jack bracket a bit, but I was able to repair it. I then pondered my solution.

I could have moved the kingpin box up I think about 2" (2 holes?) but that would also reduce my clearance to the truck bed rails. Not a good solution, especially when taking the trailer off road. I had been contemplating converting the trailer to 16" wheels from the stock 15" wheels. This would give me perhaps 1.5" raise of the overall trailer per the tire and wheel specifications. I did this option and ended up raising the back jacks by 2" in the process. I now have a comfortable buffer from my curb and the truck / trailer is fairly level. But those jacks sticking down back there just seem to be begging to catch something still.

However, with all this being said, I remember seeing discussion in this form on a rotating (pivoting) jack possible feature for the back jacks. I would buy this in a heartbeat. I do a lot of boon docking off road and could use the extra clearance back there. We get plenty of clearance when the front jacks are raised. I am not a mechanical engineer to be able to design this with the necessary weight capacity. I think it would require two short arms to support a pivot rod, which would run through a bracket at the top of the jack. Some sort of locking mechanism would be needed to assure it could be locked in both the rotated up and rotated down positions. It would rotate up 90 degrees when not in use and traveling. Maybe a retired mechanical engineer in this forum could attest to the viability of this design possibility. If I had a welder, I could likely fashion something that would work, but I do not have the knowledge necessary to assure it would be safe for the trailer weight.

On a secondary comment to the above threads, since I do now have to extend the jacks more, I added JT Stabilizer bars (6) to the trailer and it is now rock solid after I level it and cinch the bars. I also at times may have to add blocks under some of the jacks to get the necessary travel on uneven ground.

As a possible GD feature in the future:
          1. Make these pivoting jacks a reality. Surely I'm not the only one who has thought of this.
          2. In trailer design, perhaps design the jacks up into the floor a bit, maybe 4 to 5 inches. Then have extension arms similar to the front jacks that could be dropped before the leveling takes place, just like the front. This seems like it would get these rear jacks way up and out of the way. I am also not sure the jacks need to be directly behind the rear wheels. Maybe they could be at the back of the trailer, such that they could simply be built up inside the wall like the front jacks are. They would essentially retract in between the exterior and interior back walls. They would be secured to the main frame at the back. An interior or exterior access panel or door would be needed to enable repair / replacement. Food for thought.
          Tony G
          2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
          2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
          KTM 250XC

Comment

Originally posted by tgodrich View Post
            I had been contemplating converting the trailer to 16" wheels from the stock 15" wheels. This would give me perhaps 1.5" raise of the overall trailer per the tire and wheel specifications. I did this option and ended up raising the back jacks by 2" in the process. I now have a comfortable buffer from my curb and the truck / trailer is fairly level. But those jacks sticking down back there just seem to be begging to catch something still.
            The concern here is you're raising the overall height of the trailer. Some of these models are already close to 13'6".

Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
            2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
            2020 Momentum 351M
            2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Working...
            X