Front Jack Mounting Bracket Weld Tolerances 399TH Momentum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Jack Mounting Bracket Weld Tolerances 399TH Momentum

Hello! I am hoping to get more information on the front frame welded mounting brackets for the bolted on leveling systems, and the acceptable ranges of deviation from vertical when the leveling legs are extended.

Moving my one year new 2021 399th around the yard the other day, I needed to set it up on part of the yard with pretty good back to front slope relative to the trailer, causing the rig to super extend the front jacks to get level. The positioning of the jacks seemed odd with the curb side jack seeming to be more severely angled out to the side of the trailer as compared to the driver side jack. Inspecting the leveling unit itself, nothing that I see appears bent, warped or damaged.

Still unsure if it is an optical illusion, I used a four foot level to determine if the foot pad positioning was similar relative to vertical to the trailer itself. Sure enough, the curb side pad is angled several inches away from the trailer compared to it more vertical looking driver side counterpart.

Investigating further I was drawn to the leveling system mounting plates that are welded to the frame of the unit, and the positioning of the mounted leveling jacks to them. On the questionable curb side, the bottom part of the bracket is approximately 2 1/16" from frame to inner edge, whereas the driver side is 1 7/8". The top of the leveling system is 3 1/2" vs 4" respectively. Attached are a few pics to show the differences.

Not being an engineer, I would surmise that the driver jack rests closer to the frame at its lower point and further away at its top, presenting a more vertical appearance, whereas the curb side is further out at the bottom and closer at the top, thus being more angled. This appears to me, anyway, as an issue with welding and measurements as opposed to a problem with the system itself. My question for GD techs are:

- are these normal tolerances?
    - are there concerns or added risk to ultimate jack failure
    - what mitigation or repairs are necessary?

Thank you

I think that the hydraulic jacks are canted out a little on the bottom by design, not sure why , but I think you may have more on one side than the other. I am not sure if this is an issue or not. You could contact GD customer service, number on the home page, you could also contact Lippert, send them your measurements and see what they say. Lippert is the frame manufacture as well as the jacks.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for the pointer. I'll reach out to Lippert. I understand from GD sales that the customer service phones have had problematic service the past couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by OldGoat View Post
        Hello! I am hoping to get more information on the front frame welded mounting brackets for the bolted on leveling systems, and the acceptable ranges of deviation from vertical when the leveling legs are extended.

Moving my one year new 2021 399th around the yard the other day, I needed to set it up on part of the yard with pretty good back to front slope relative to the trailer, causing the rig to super extend the front jacks to get level. The positioning of the jacks seemed odd with the curb side jack seeming to be more severely angled out to the side of the trailer as compared to the driver side jack. Inspecting the leveling unit itself, nothing that I see appears bent, warped or damaged.

Still unsure if it is an optical illusion, I used a four foot level to determine if the foot pad positioning was similar relative to vertical to the trailer itself. Sure enough, the curb side pad is angled several inches away from the trailer compared to it more vertical looking driver side counterpart.

Investigating further I was drawn to the leveling system mounting plates that are welded to the frame of the unit, and the positioning of the mounted leveling jacks to them. On the questionable curb side, the bottom part of the bracket is approximately 2 1/16" from frame to inner edge, whereas the driver side is 1 7/8". The top of the leveling system is 3 1/2" vs 4" respectively. Attached are a few pics to show the differences.

Not being an engineer, I would surmise that the driver jack rests closer to the frame at its lower point and further away at its top, presenting a more vertical appearance, whereas the curb side is further out at the bottom and closer at the top, thus being more angled. This appears to me, anyway, as an issue with welding and measurements as opposed to a problem with the system itself. My question for GD techs are:

- are these normal tolerances?
        - are there concerns or added risk to ultimate jack failure
        - what mitigation or repairs are necessary?

Thank you
        Is it possible that the frame rail is a bit twisted due to the hyper-extension of the jacks? I wonder if tying the frame rail at the bottom of the I-beam would help, similar to the bracing at spring mounts.
        Bob P.
        2018 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Dually
        2020 337RLS
        VIN last 8 L3326309

Comment

Working...
        X