Rear Leveling Sensor Location on a 2021 278BH 5th Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Leveling Sensor Location on a 2021 278BH 5th Wheel

I am having an issue with the leveling system and it doesn't save its zero.
    I have heard that it could be a loose rear sensor and am hoping to get a bit more specific location information than a generic somewhere along the center line and behind the rear axles.
    Thanks
    2021 Reflection 278BH
    2002 GMC 2500HD

The information that I have access to does not show the location of the sensor on any model. Hopefully GDRV-Mariah could let us know if there is an exact location.

I do know that , and from what you were told, it is on the centerline and behind the axels. Mine is mounted to a cross member behind the axels about 3 feet. You may want to drop one edge of the coroplast and have a look to see where it may be.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Unfortunately this is something that will have to be reached out to our customer service team directly and/or Lippert. You can reach our service team at customerservice@granddesignrv.com or 574-825-9679, make sure you have your VIN handy. Thank you!

Comment

With our short winter storage season in full effect, I started addressing all the "issues" over the past year. My biggest problem being the auto leveling system only worked two times and has been nothing but problems the entire year. Even though it is under warranty, I have zero confidence in the stealers service department so in order to fix it right I have to do it myself.
        While doing some necessary plumbing work to get rid of the absolutely ignorant dual dumps and combining them to a single outlet, I finally found the rear leveling sensor. Not surprisingly, It was angled down nearly 5 degrees. I had already leveled the trailer manually (I sure would love doing it the old way now that auto level doesn't work as it would be considerably faster than the manual method of this junk auto system) so I went and bent the flimsy metal tab the rear level sensor was attached to up and square with the frame. As soon as I did that, the leveling indicator on the display showed level!
        At this point, I am leaning toward a wire / connection issue especially considering that there are absolutely no provisions to anywhere in the underbelly of this trailer to secure and limit movement of cable assemblies. I am willing to bet the wire itself is damaged right at the sensor body as there is several feet of cable freely hanging and able to move back and forth and in turn destroy the wire right at the sensor entry. I should have taken a picture of how the sensor was angled down but I was too busy testing a theory. At least you can see the lack of harness strapping and what is a poor hardware choice to attach the sensor. It is not surprising that many people have loose sensors when they only use self drilling screws; VHB tape would have been a better option but a proper nut and bolt is more appropriate.
        Once I anchor it properly, support the harness correctly, and re-zero the system I'll take it for a drive and see if it holds zero and auto levels once again.
        One thing that really sticks out is the total lack of care or concern in the assembly Grand Design has, from bad cases of galvanic corrosion to poor conformal coating of components to the haphazard method of routing and not securing the electrical wiring; I expected more. Hey Grand Design... there is absolutely no excuse for this, people spend a lot of money on these rigs and your quality is only skin deep approach is a slap in the face!Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211204_150540.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.4 KB ID:	71789
        2021 Reflection 278BH
        2002 GMC 2500HD

Comment

Todd_P -- thanks for the follow-up and helpful documentation. I have no doubt it will help a fellow owner in the future.

Also, can you fill out your signature line? I hope you'll continue to contribute on the forum and a sig line makes it easier to identify the rig, etc. All of this is spelled out in the Welcome Letter to New Members @ https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Lippert has some good training modules on their website for the leveling system. They also include troubleshooting scenarios specific to the level sensor.
            I agree with the wiring, there are far too many places where the wires are unsupported and place strain on connections. Every time I open up an area of the trailer I make sure I have some zip ties and hold downs so I can tidy up wiring.
            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I went through the Lippert course and it didn't shed any light on the problem unfortunately. I actually think it is a controller failure as the errors it gives, when it gives them, do not make any sense. I have had our of stroke errors when trying to extend fully retracted jacks, excessive angle errors on perfectly level concrete slabs, frame twist prevention notice when trying to move jacks not touching the ground, etc. On several occasions I tried to auto level and it just kept extending the jacks until the wheels were completely off the ground only to fail on a time out. On another occasion coming back from a day out to find one rear jack had fully retracted. I am thinking my next step is to call customer service.
              2021 Reflection 278BH
              2002 GMC 2500HD

Comment

Agreed, Sounds like you have an issue with the main controller. Thats a lot of malfunctions. Best of luck
                2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Figured I would update on this after my repairs and using the auto level after a road trip.
                  ​I noticed the main controller was angled up and not pointing inline with the trailer by several degrees so I remounted it so it was centered and parallel to the chassis. The rear sensor was also angled down considerably so I installed a stiffer plate and made sure it was also parallel to the chassis. The cable connecting to the rear sensor was not in any way anchored and did cause damage to the wires at the connector.. I replaced the connector and properly supported the wiring harness as GD refuses to do such important and necessary things. I finished up by zeroing the system.
                  After completing a good road trip the auto level worked flawlessly! It has been a while since it has worked correctly.
                  There shouldn't be these kind of easily preventable problems in this day and age.
                  2021 Reflection 278BH
                  2002 GMC 2500HD

Comment

Working...
                  X