Moving hydraulic jacks up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving hydraulic jacks up

Has anyone got experience moving their hydraulic jack legs up a couple bolts/holes to gain more ground clearance while driving?
    (I'm talking about the 4 legs at the wheels)
    If so, these four jacks would be moving/stroking way further down and logic tells me they would need more oil to cover the increased stroke, right?
    Question, would the standard reservoir hold enough oil if I moved all 4 these jack legs say 4" up...?

2022 GD Momentum 376THS
    2020 Ford F350 Dually

Originally posted by gone AWOL View Post
    Has anyone got experience moving their hydraulic jack legs up a couple bolts/holes to gain more ground clearance while driving?
    (I'm talking about the 4 legs at the wheels)
    If so, these four jacks would be moving/stroking way further down and logic tells me they would need more oil to cover the increased stroke, right?
    Question, would the standard reservoir hold enough oil if I moved all 4 these jack legs say 4" up...?

There's been several threads from 260RD owners on this topic. That may be the Ground Control (electric) levelers, but the idea is the same. Here's two links:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/mainten...tion-150-260rd

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/mainten...leveling-jacks

Maybe I need another cup of coffee this morning...but moving the attachment point so the whole assembly is 4" higher shouldn't affect the quantity of hydraulic fluid in the lines. As a side note, the quantity of fluid in the reservoir should be checked with all hydraulic components retracted (including slides). Add fluid to the reservoir with something extended and there will be a mess in your front bay when that something is retracted.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

gone AWOL I agree with Howard, the system should be designed and have enough fluid to fully extend the jacks, so there should be no issue there. What could happen however is you might run out of stroke sooner, since you would be raising them, you would have less stroke available to level with.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

More blocking would be needed to make sure that jacks don't run out of stroke before trailer is stabilized.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

gone AWOL I moved my rear electric jacks up on the previous 5er. Reason was departure angle. That being said, I already had a nice set of home made blocks that I put under my jacks. With any jack, the shorter it's stroked out, the more stable it will feel.

Moving them up may need more oil, but again your fluid reservoir should have the capability to extend one set of jacks almost fully to level the camper as needed. If not, then the tank is undersized for the application. When I look at sizing oil tanks for stuff, With all of the return oil from he retract side of the cylinders and the extend oil needed, I tend to have 15-25% of tank capacity left. Depending on tank design, if it gets too low, it can lead to cavitation (vortex in the fluid like watching the tub drain) and heating issues (less likely in a camper since it's usually 1 and done).
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

gone AWOL When your jacks extend, the fluid below the piston is pushed out to the reservoir. It takes more fluid above the piston but more fluid below is pushed out. If you move it up, go ahead and create a block the height that you raised the jack. The big differenceis the stability of the jack is lessened the farther the jack is extended.
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
              gone AWOL When your jacks extend, the fluid below the piston is pushed out to the reservoir. It takes more fluid above the piston but more fluid below is pushed out. If you move it up, go ahead and create a block the height that you raised the jack. The big differenceis the stability of the jack is lessened the farther the jack is extended.
              Thanks, that makes sense.
              2022 GD Momentum 376THS
              2020 Ford F350 Dually

Comment

gone AWOL Did you complete this adjustment?
                I just picked up a 2022 Momentum 351MS-R and need to make the same adjustment on the back two jacks, but was being told that I would need to reset the OneControl leveling systems each time that it was engaged to level the camper. Have you experienced any issues or resets with the leveling system after re-positioning the jacks?
                Thanks in advnace,

Comment

Originally posted by maddmaxx457 View Post
                  gone AWOL Did you complete this adjustment?
                  I just picked up a 2022 Momentum 351MS-R and need to make the same adjustment on the back two jacks, but was being told that I would need to reset the OneControl leveling systems each time that it was engaged to level the camper. Have you experienced any issues or resets with the leveling system after re-positioning the jacks?
                  Thanks in advnace,
                  Hi maddmaxx457--welcome to the forum. Unfortunately gone AWOL hasn't visited the forum since May 25th. Not unusual as this is not the type of forum where there's a lot of regulars.

There are plenty of other owners here, though, that have hydraulic jacks on their units so (hopefully) someone will chime in soon.

Howard

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Hi maddmaxx457--welcome to the forum. Unfortunately gone AWOL hasn't visited the forum since May 25th. Not unusual as this is not the type of forum where there's a lot of regulars.

There are plenty of other owners here, though, that have hydraulic jacks on their units so (hopefully) someone will chime in soon.

Howard
                    Howdy folks, I'm back.

We went traveling with the truck camper so wasn't watching this forum.

Yes I moved them up and used Anderson Jack Blocks. Unfortunately the Anderson blocks are very tall so although the idea works it would be better if I could find short Anderson blocks.

I'd say if you make up some dedicated wooden blocks or even use those square stacked jack blocks it would work better. I don't trust those stackable blocks.

That's about it from me right now..

Cheerio.
                    2022 GD Momentum 376THS
                    2020 Ford F350 Dually

Comment

Working...
                    X