Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Reflection levelling jack caused frame twist

2021 Reflection 337 RLS
    We have a bent left rear levelling jack, the jack itself is not bent, the frame is twisted where the bracket mounts to it. It has been on the dealer's lot since September 21,2021. Numerous attempts to get warranty repairs have been unsuccessful. I have eight pages of documented contact information, dealer, GDRV customer service, GDRV dealer relations, etc.
    If you can share some technical info, that would be appreciated. The dealer does not have the resources to repair in house. I had a frame repair shop attend and give us an estimate, I have also suggested we get a mobile welder/fabricator to attend the dealer's shop to facilitate repairs. We are no closer to getting it fixed.

Last edited by Sparky; 12-24-2021, 12:28 PM.
    Peter
    2022 Reflection 337 RLS
    2021 GMC 2500 Duramax

Peter, is your trailer in warranty? If so, I'm curious what GD decided on whether this is a warrantable claim?

Reason I ask is, I have a couple of warranty repairs pending on my 2022 200MK. When I called Customer Service at GD it took me very little time describing the problems before the agent told me I can have the repairs done anywhere. They will reimburse. She said all I needed was to tell my chosen repair shop to contact GD and get direct connection between them. As it turned out I did not have to do that, because a second attempt at obtaining the repair work at the selling dealer got some results, and things are now moving fast.

Ruth and Patrick
    2022 Transcend 200MK
    2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by KrustyKush View Post
      Peter, is your trailer in warranty? If so, I'm curious what GD decided on whether this is a warrantable claim?

Reason I ask is, I have a couple of warranty repairs pending on my 2022 200MK. When I called Customer Service at GD it took me very little time describing the problems before the agent told me I can have the repairs done anywhere. They will reimburse. She said all I needed was to tell my chosen repair shop to contact GD and get direct connection between them. As it turned out I did not have to do that, because a second attempt at obtaining the repair work at the selling dealer got some results, and things are now moving fast.
      I guess part of the problem is that they are denying warranty. They are claiming it is "damage" as opposed to defect. The first time I set the trailer up in my driveway, this happened, it was a minor twist and then every time after that, it got a little worse. If it was caused by a lateral movement, then the jack on the side opposite would have caused the frame to twist there as well. I only used the trailer four times last summer for about 20 nights total. I have Beech Lane levelers and always level side to side first. There is no way that I caused this, pushing the auto-level button is the normal way to level. Lippert has authorized two hours labor to repair. One hour to remove the jack, one hour to straighten the mounting bracket. This falls well short of the cost of repair.

I have been in contact with many reps from GDRV and Lippert, maybe I just need to find the right one that will say, "we will stand behind our product".
      Peter
      2022 Reflection 337 RLS
      2021 GMC 2500 Duramax

Comment

Sparky Hi Peter I can't help you much with getting them to cover it except to say just stay on them working up the chain to try and get someone to cover it. That said regardless of who is paying for the repair, in my mind for possible frame damage the only two places I'd take it to would be the Grand Design factory service center or Lippert (I assume they have a service center as well). I think it would be well worth a trip to Elkhart (assuming it's safe to tow) to have the work done by them.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

It looks like GDRV has agreed to pay for the repair from a local trailer frame shop.
          It took a long time for this to happen, but it looks like we may be moving forward!

Thanks, I will keep everyone informed.
          Peter
          2022 Reflection 337 RLS
          2021 GMC 2500 Duramax

Comment

Can anyone provide a drawing that shows the frame area around the rear levelling jacks? The repair shop would probably benefit by having this information.

Thanks,
            Peter
            2022 Reflection 337 RLS
            2021 GMC 2500 Duramax

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
              Can anyone provide a drawing that shows the frame area around the rear levelling jacks? The repair shop would probably benefit by having this information.

Thanks,
              You will have to contact Grand Design customer service for this, they will have a better chance of giving you the correct info for your build, have your VIN ready. There should be a tag on the frame that might get you information from Lippert, the frame builder, GD will probably be your better bet and being as they are paying the bill it would benefit them to provide the correct information to the shop you are using. You should have a case number from GD use this and speak to some one in warranty to help you with this.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

PROBLEM SOLVED!

The trailer frame repair shop came up with this solution:

They fabbed up a brace to span from one leveling jack bracket to the other. It was made from 2" square tubing with a support at each end gusseted on a 45 degree angle. The brace was bolted in place with 8, 1/2" grade 8 bolts per side. They aligned the axles and everything seems to be back to normal. I levelled the trailer in my driveway and no more twisting!
                Peter
                2022 Reflection 337 RLS
                2021 GMC 2500 Duramax

Comment

I just noticed the exact same thing happening with the right rear leveling jack on my 2021 278BH this morning and remembered this post. I am glad you posted a picture of the fix which allowed me to copy it a bit!
                  I put a similar brace together this afternoon and will send it through powder tomorrow before installing.
                  Wouldn't have to do these kinds of "fixes" if everything was designed correctly and built with quality in mind to begin with.

Update: I installed it and tested everything out. The brace solved the frame twisting and jack leaning issue perfectly, it also has the added benefit of removing a ton of shaking when set up and leveled out. Also have a friend experiencing the same frame twisting issue so I'll be building another one for him after our vacation.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Todd_P; 07-28-2022, 12:35 PM.
                  2021 Reflection 278BH
                  2002 GMC 2500HD

Comment

Has the twisted frame affected the operation of the slide? Are u noticing any hummocks in the floor inside?

Comment

Working...
                    X