Add a Automatic leveling system to 2022 model Imagine 2910BH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add a Automatic leveling system to 2022 model Imagine 2910BH

I am looking at adding an automatic ground leveling system to our 2022 Imagine 2910BH. I have seen a system - Lippert TT Auto Leveling system - which looks real good, but not cheap. Interested in knowing what people think of such a system? Would there be a problem with any warranties on the travel trailer?
    Thanks,
    John B

A set of Beech Lane levelers and a Level Mate Pro is almost as fast and more than $3000 cheaper.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by John Brumbaugh View Post
      I am looking at adding an automatic ground leveling system to our 2022 Imagine 2910BH. I have seen a system - Lippert TT Auto Leveling system - which looks real good, but not cheap. Interested in knowing what people think of such a system? Would there be a problem with any warranties on the travel trailer?
      Thanks,
      John B
      Hi John--welcome to Grand Design's (Technical) Owners' Forum. Please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

I agree with Jkwilson but for a different reason: weight. Have you weighed your Imagine, fully loaded ready to camp, at a CAT scale yet? I think you'll be surprised at how heavy the trailer is. Adding a leveling system will take away precious cargo carrying capacity.

There's a thread in the Towing and Hitches Reference Channel you may find interesting on the topic of weighing your trailer: https://gdrvowners.com/towing-and-hi...railer-and-how

If you'd like to do some in-depth reading about CAT scales and weighing, type in the following to your favorite search engine's search bar (google, DuckDuckGo, etc): "CAT scale" site:gdrvowners.com A long list of links with related topics will return . Some will be applicable, some maybe not, but there will be a lot to discover!

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

John Brumbaugh What's the reason for wanting the auto level system? You still need to get the trailer "level" side to side before deploying the auto system? Yes they are expensive, the 5er is the 2nd unit with them and definitely a consideration when looking at larger heavy trailers.

I would guess if you had LCI install the system (since they are most likely the frame MFG) you could keep the structural warranty in place. Keep in mind that the vertical jacks do stick down a lot more than the scissor or full width stabilizers. This will determine where they can be placed on the unit.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I'm sure I'm in the vast minority here, but I'm not sure I would spend a lot of money on an auto-level system. After having one on my Reflection I admit I use it and enjoy it. However I never had an issue on my previous 5th wheel with the power front landing gear and rear scissor jacks.

I still feel uncomfortable about not getting pretty close to level side to side (using boards) before deploying the auto-level function. And I constantly worry about how low the rear jacks hang down. Accidentally driving off a curb, or hitting a deep pothole is certainly going to bend a jack. I've almost done it twice and I'm very careful

Again, it's pretty cool to hit one button and get a level trailer, but I've seen folks having major problems at the most inconvenient times with their auto level system. Just one more thing to break.
          2020 Reflection 273MK
          2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

John Brumbaugh Welcome to the family and the forum!
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

OK thanks everyone. I have decided not to add an automatic leveling system.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brumbaugh View Post
                OK thanks everyone. I have decided not to add an automatic leveling system.
                Hi John,

If you have the individual manual scissor jacks, an upgrade that you might want to consider would be power stabilizers such as https://store.lci1.com/high-speed-po...-pwr-stab.html You would still level the trailer side-to-side with blocking under the tires and then fore-aft with the tongue jack . . . but lowering (or raising) the stabilizers becomes a push of a button.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have been considering the auto leveling system for my Reflection 287RLTS. I have the power stabilizers now and they don't stabilize anything (camper still shakes around pretty good). I ran into someone while camping that had the Ground Control TT installed and they said it made a world of difference in the stabilization over the power stabilizers. Just wondering if anyone else with the system can shed some light on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubabuzz View Post
                    I have been considering the auto leveling system for my Reflection 287RLTS. I have the power stabilizers now and they don't stabilize anything (camper still shakes around pretty good). I ran into someone while camping that had the Ground Control TT installed and they said it made a world of difference in the stabilization over the power stabilizers. Just wondering if anyone else with the system can shed some light on this.
                    What, specifically, can we address that hasn't been covered in this thread already? Your 287RSTS will have all the issues the OP of this thread, John Brumbaugh , learned about in the responses from forum members. I'm not saying it's not possible to install the Ground Control on your trailer--just saying there will be issues. Only you can determine if the downsides are worth the hoped-for gain of the leveling system.

Unfortunately, an alternative like JT Strong Arms do not work well with our setups (I have a 315RLTS). See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/mainten...t-big-fat-fail

Wish I could write something more positive...

Howard
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Thanks for your reply. The responses to this post didn't really address my question of whether the beefier system would provide more stabilization than the "stabilizers" that I have. The weight is not that much different PSX1 (150lbs), Ground Control TT (300lbs) but I guess some folks load their campers down with a lot of stuff. I have tried extra jacks under the frame but they don't help much. I was just looking for someone that might have actually installed this system to give an idea on stabilization as some folks on the interweb have reported about it but I guess no one here has any information on this.

I guess there isn't too many reliable stabilization products out there as you reported in your "big fat fail" post.

Joe

Comment

Scubabuzz

As long as the majority of the trailer weight is carried by the tires and suspension, there will be some amount of motion in the trailer. This can be minimized side-to-side with crosswise stabilizers and fore-aft with things like X braces between the tires. Auto-leveling takes this a step further by providing solid vertical posts between the trailer frame and the ground, thus reducing trailer frame support by the flexible tires and suspension. Where I am going with this . . . is that you note that you have tried extra jacks under the frame and this still did not provide the lack of motion that you are looking for. I doubt that another means of providing support legs directly to the ground (by way of an auto levelling system) will be any more stable than the frame jacks that you have tried.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob
                          Thanks for your reply. I use the X chocks on the wheels which do help. My previous trailer was an Imagine 2150RB with the scissor jacks which were really bad at stabilizing. The PSX1 stabilizers on the Reflection seem to work but they don't seem to take much weight off the suspension which I know is why the trailer moves around. They touch the ground and then seem to strain right away instead of lifting any weight (I'm not trying to jack up the camper but just take some weight off the suspension). I put some screw jacks under the frame by the axles but my guess is they didn't do much with the stabilizers not bearing any weight. I was thinking the stronger jacks of the GCTT would help out but maybe I just have an issue with my current PSX1s. Not having anything to compare it with I'm not sure how they should be working in that respect.

Joe

Comment

Scubabuzz

The PSX1 stabilizers are just that . . . diagonal stabilizers. They are not intended to lift much of the weight of the trailer. The motor will stall out shortly after the pads contact the ground . . . at least, mine always has. Think of them as just an automated way of placing a diagonal stabilizer such as a JT Strong Arm or similar.

The entire trailer structure may just be more flexible than you are expecting. Before investing in an auto levelling system, for much less money you could place your trailer on jack stands located on the frame where the auto leveling legs would go. Then you can assess whether the improvement is worth the investment in an on-board auto levelling system.

Note that auto levelling systems do not have diagonal bracing (unless added by the owner)

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob
                              Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking about buying two more of these (I tried 2 by the axles) and putting them where I would mount the auto lever jacks to see if taking some weight off the axles would help out any. If they work I may just stick with them and save a lot of work and money.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Olympia.../dp/B000760FWU

Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X