Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scubabuzz
    Hi Joe,

The problem with the jack stands in your link is that they cannot lift very much weight. To measure the true benefit, you would have to lift the frame with a hydraulic jack and place it on these (or stronger) jack stands. You might want to consider a combination jack stand and hydraulic jack as in the attached picture. These can lift the trailer frame (will have to be set on appropriate blocking to get high enough) and then set the weight on the included jack stand.

BTW . . . I store my trailer on four of these stands (modified to fit under the axles) to get the weight off the tires. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/referen...-off-the-tires

Rob
    Attached Files
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I know this thread was put to bed but I just wanted to follow up that I did try the jack stands and they seemed to make a difference so I bought the Ground Control TT aftermarket unit and installed it on our Reflection 287RLTS and it is a night and day improvement in stability. Yes it did add another 150 lbs over the PSX1 stabilizers but we pack pretty light and for us the stability is worth the extra weight.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Scubabuzz View Post
        I know this thread was put to bed but I just wanted to follow up that I did try the jack stands and they seemed to make a difference so I bought the Ground Control TT aftermarket unit and installed it on our Reflection 287RLTS and it is a night and day improvement in stability. Yes it did add another 150 lbs over the PSX1 stabilizers but we pack pretty light and for us the stability is worth the extra weight.

Joe
        Wow--that's two folks with travel trailers that I now know have put this system on. Jimmer installed it on his 315RLTS. One of these days I'll see it in action and who knows...maybe another project in my future. (Like I need to add more weight to my setup! )
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Scubabuzz View Post

Joe
          Scubabuzz /Joe, what system did you put on? It was my impression that for self-install, Lippert only sold travel trailer systems with 4 C-Jacks which had a total capacity of 10,000 pounds (when installed, those levelers look like a Lippert stabilizer). I see your 287RLTS has a gross vehicle rating of around 9,500 pounds, whereas the 315RLTS is 11,300, well over the weight limit of the standard Lippert travel trailer leveling system. For the system with the rear jacks with a 5,000 capacity each, I thought either Lippert or the manufacturer had to install those. Here pics of the 4 C-Jack systems which can't be used with the 315RLTS due to weight.

However, in searching for this post, the instruction manual and the description on e-Trailer has a manual and part of a description of a system with the 5,000 lb capacity rear jacks.
          https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack.../LC672136.html

My system installed by Lippert has the 5,000 lb capacity rear jacks. (Full description of my system will be posted after my at camp-site use of the system in a week).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ground Control TT Leveling System.PNG
Views:	436
Size:	807.0 KB
ID:	83748 Click image for larger version

Name:	Leveling 2.PNG
Views:	312
Size:	973.4 KB
ID:	83749

Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
          2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
          2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Jimmer You are correct that the aftermarket Ground Control TT as you have pictured in your post only supports up to 10,000 lbs. That is the system I installed on my camper. They system you are referring to I believe was labelled the Ground Control 3.0 (which was also used for the 5er system). According to some other folks that I have posted about the Ground Control system Lippert can design the system with the higher capacity jacks in the rear but that is a Lippert or trailer manufacturer installed only system as you have stated.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi John,

If you have the individual manual scissor jacks, an upgrade that you might want to consider would be power stabilizers such as https://store.lci1.com/high-speed-po...-pwr-stab.html You would still level the trailer side-to-side with blocking under the tires and then fore-aft with the tongue jack . . . but lowering (or raising) the stabilizers becomes a push of a button.

Rob
              Link no longer works. How much are they? Did you do it? Any pics? EDIT* - I did not see page 2 when I posted this - apologies....still curious about the below.

Scubabuzz / howson / John Brumbaugh / Cate&Rob - Have you considered the below?

The MORryde rep was trying to get me to get them and let MORryde install.
              https://www.morryde.com/products/sci...ck-stabilizer/

I have the X-Chocks - which are not really chocks, but that is another story.....I can see where a large X-brace across the front and back would add stability. Maybe more effectively than the X-Chocks - I am not sure...would love someone to weigh in on that. Maybe both are needed for maximum stability. I did see where someone with a large solitude on this forum (out at Devil's Tower) had an x brace on the rear of his rig and I think it helped him significantly...do not know if he had 4 levelers or 6 on his rig.
              2020 Imagine 2400BH
              2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

bellis -- the 315RLTS has the PSX1 stabilizer which is neither a "scissor jack" nor a full-up leveler. Based on what I read on the linked page, I doubt the X brace will work with Lippert's electric stabilizers. https://store.lci1.com/psx1-high-spe...-pwr-stab.html
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                  bellis -- the 315RLTS has the PSX1 stabilizer which is neither a "scissor jack" nor a full-up leveler. Based on what I read on the linked page, I doubt the X brace will work with Lippert's electric stabilizers. https://store.lci1.com/psx1-high-spe...-pwr-stab.html
                  ah I see...thanks howson.
                  2020 Imagine 2400BH
                  2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Sorry bellis I just saw your post. I did look at the X-brace systems but I decided that I didn't want to have to climb under the camper at every arrival and every departure to tighten/loosen those braces. Here are some photos of my install for anyone that is interested in a system like this. Just for info it took me two weekends to install this. One weekend was spent planning install location (looking up under the underbelly for install locations) and cutting off the brackets for the front stabilizers. I also ran the wiring to my install locations. At my age my arms were tired holding the dremmel and grinder while laying on my back so I did the actual install of the jacks the next weekend. I installed my touch screen in the pass through on passenger side and the small controller on the drivers side pass through and put the control unit with all the wiring behind the Nautilus panel since there was already a large hole where the plumbing came through the floor there. I did need to put another hole in the front passenger side bracket for the C-Jack because I did not see a frame weld for the front stair bracket had extended out to where I was putting my C-Jack bracket (can't easily drill through welds) but other than that it was a pretty easy install.

We have camped with it twice this year since the install and the camper is very stable. On one week long trip I did have to adjust since the campsite was gravel and settled a bit but I just went to the control panel and pressed the auto hitch height and then once that was done I did the auto level and it was back to stable and level. Doing it this way also kept my hitch height for when I was ready to leave.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                    X