Leveling fault light and non-responsive Lippert Contol panel re-set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leveling fault light and non-responsive Lippert Contol panel re-set

I am posting to advise of a self-created error fault but to identify an issue with the One Control system/ diagnostics panel and learn if others have experienced this type of event. Unit is a 2022 Reflection 337RLS, electric jacks, front outside leveling/ operating panel and the internal bay One Control panel with diagnostics and other features. This is my first Fifth Wheel with a leveling system so I am learning the Lippert Control system for the first time. I pushed the up/ down arrows on the outside panel to power up the leveling system (green light) to hitch to our truck. After hitting the up arrow to raise the front jacks (it started raising), I stopped and hit the Hitch Height button. A red fault light immediately came on and everything stopped. Nothing worked on the front panel. I called Lippert support and after several discussions found the following: 1. You cannot hit the Hitch Height button unless the previous function was the Auto-Level sequence. Lesson-learned. But, a fault light should be able to be reset and this is where Lippert call center was struggling with what I was experiencing. When I went to the inside Lippert Panel, the "Leveling" display would not respond to my touch. Not to the right arrow, or any area touched in the Leveling display. I tired other displays, and they responded to my touch. The Lippert reps sent me to the One Control techs and they in turn brought me back to the Leveling techs. Their statements were that the dealership did not set up the panel correctly. I called the dealership and the tech took me through several steps... the final being to disconnect the negative battery cable. After doing this, the front leveling panel worked and I was able to raise the front jacks . At this point the tech suggested I contact service to schedule an appointment to address why the internal Lippert Panel was not responding.

So, I could move the jacks up/ down but when I checked the internal bay Control Panel the "Leveling" display still did not work. As I searched the screen I found a System Diagnostic button and when I pressed it, a screen came up showing the Leveling system was "not-connected, or un-linked?" All the other displays such as Awnings, Slides, etc. showed a "connected, or linked" status. (I forget the exact terminology).

Some final thoughts for others: 1. When I did the walk around inspection at time of purchase and when hitched up the truck to leave the dealership, we only used the outside control panel to move the front jacks and connect to the hitch. When I arrived at our storage facility to un-hitch, I only used the outside control panel. We never used the internal Contol panel to see if things worked. I learned from the Lippert techs this panel is the only way to clear a fault. The issue may still be that the Leveling display is not working due to a connectivity issue (wiring) or other software set-up?

Any advice from others who may have experienced this issue? My lesson learned was to not create the fault initially by sequencing from "raising the front jacks" to then engaging "hitch height" but, I can't believe others have not created a similar fault code (flashing red light) in the learning process? The issue for me is not being able to clear this fault...? Thoughts??

Mike & Linda
    2022 Reflection 337RLS
    2022 Ram 3500 diesel
    Mike & Linda
    2022 Reflection 337RLS
    Ram 3500 Diesel
    Denver, CO

I do not have the One Control but have learned that the Auto Hitch feature only works if the nose is higher than level when the Auto Level sequence is initiated, and no other leveling is done after that. After we are setup I usually hit the Auto Level button again , maybe a couple of times if we are camping for a few days as the RV seems to "settle" while camping and re-level takes some of the rocking motion out.

I do agree with the tech's that removing the ground will reset the computer. I would also guess that there is a wiring issue or component issue being the reason that there is no jack control on the inside panel.

This will be a learning experience for all as I have not heard of this type of issue before, or it has not been posted here.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

andyusna77 More than likely there is a loose connection between the level control board and the other end. The level control board should be in the front compartment screwed to the ceiling. The other end, I would assume is either behind the touch panel or tied in to the unity board (My unity board has a terminator on the second can bus).

If it's connected on both ends, then it may be just an issue in programming of the jacks to the touch panel.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

andyusna77 -- I have nothing to add to Brian or Joseph's responses, just a note to thank you for the comprehensive explanation and documentation of the fault. I look forward to reading what the dealer techs find wrong.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I found that there was a similar error code on the Control Panel in a post from July 2020 by Bwood BBQ. I'm not sure how to follow up with him directly so if someone see's this post and knows how to contact him to learn if he has had any further issues/ resolution would be great. The error code is "offline" for the Leveler Type 3 in the system report data page. In a follow-up call with Lippert today, a tech named Josh assisted and was outstanding. His best guess is it's something in the Unity board and/ or communication port. While re-reading the owners manual for the One Control App and Compass Connect by Grand Design (same app access) for the Lippert One Connect system it spoke about having access to the Leveling system on a smart phone. Pictures showed a screen shot. This feature does not show up on my iphone so there was a question by the tech about the Bluetooth interface?

The tech set-up a Case # at Lippert and detailed what his impressions were for the issues to make it easier when my dealer starts the troubleshooting. I thought this extra step by the tech was superb! A couple weeks to the service appointment before learning cause/ corrective actions. More to follow....

Mike & Linda
          2022 Reflection 337RLS
          Ram 3500 Diesel
          Mike & Linda
          2022 Reflection 337RLS
          Ram 3500 Diesel
          Denver, CO

Comment

andyusna77 ,
            Post 6 in that thread seems to imply the issue fixed itself. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/mainten...3511#post23511

That forum member hasn't logged in since Mar '21. (Not unusual for people to do a "touch and go" on this forum for their issue--quite normal, actually.)

Good find, by the way!

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Mike, I had 3 faults during my 2 month trip last year. They were all caused by the slope being too severe to do auto level and the it turned red.. In each case I DISCONNECTED THE BATTERY AND RECONNECTED IT. That turned the light green so I could do what was necessary to hook it back up to the truck and move. The first time i had the red light i disconnected the battery, reconnected and tried auto level again. It went red again. So don not do that. When the light turns green push the up or down arrows to get the trailer where you want it or back on the truck. I have never touched the inside Lippert control panel since i got the trailer. I am used to it now so I know what to do so I do not get frustrated. Good Luck let me know how it goes.
              AL & JANET
              2021 F250 XLT CCSB 6.2, 4.30, Iconic Silver, ---
              2021 GD REFL 295RL. PULLRITE SUPERGL. 2914
              2017 F250 Lariat CCSB 6.2 3.73, Caribou ,
              2013 COACHMEN FREEDOM EX. 281RLDS
              HAMILTON, ONTARIO CANADA

Comment

Thanks for the insight! I agree that using the outside control pad seems to be the easy path and until I had the fault light, that's how I hitched/ unhitched. The benefit for having the inside Control Panel working is to more easier clear the fault light vs. having to disconnect the battery cables. I had another Interstate battery installed and with the covers, vent hoses, and wires connecting the two batteries, it took awhile to get the covers off so I could disconnect the negative cables from the terminal. I understand the inside Control Panel clears the fault quickly.

Just today someone else posted about using the Control Panel and manual feature for the rear jacks to adjust jack heights when the slope affects leveling and to prevent twisting. I haven't experienced this yet but the post would suggest there are benefits for having the Control Panel operating correctly to support other leveling needs. I have a service appt. next week so am anxious to learn why my Panel shows the Leveler feature as "offline" and inoperative for Leveling. All the other features (slides, awnings, lights) work fine.

Mike
                2022 Reflection 337RLS
                Snow in Colorado, heading to AZ next month!
                Mike & Linda
                2022 Reflection 337RLS
                Ram 3500 Diesel
                Denver, CO

Comment

andyusna77 I have cleared that flashing red light numerous times in our previous 2018 SOB trailer by pressing the left and right arrows simultaneously. Sometimes works, sometimes not. Other times, I would have to clear it from the interior control panel (OCTP), It seems that there would be an error message displayed, but I can't exactly remember. The whole thing was such a PITA that I have mostly successfully removed from my memory banks. I never had to disconnect the batteries tho. That system was a wifi based system; unknown if the left/right arrow thing works with the BT systems.

FWIW, our Solitude has the BT system which has been 1000% easier to live with than the 2018 wifi version we had.
                  Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
                  2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
                  2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
                  2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
                  Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Working...
                  X