Auto level causes wheels off the ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto level causes wheels off the ground

Many times the wheels of our 2019 MKS320 Reflections 5th Wheel are elevated 1/4 inch or more above the ground after the Auto level is finished. Can I fix this?

Originally posted by Michael Hughes View Post
    Many times the wheels of our 2019 MKS320 Reflections 5th Wheel are elevated 1/4 inch or more above the ground after the Auto level is finished. Can I fix this?
    Welcome to the forum.

The fix for this would be to use some type of blocking. I use a treated 2x6 about 16" long. There is also Anderson blocks which is a half round looking thing. There are also a "lego" style of blocks that stack nicely. Anything you can do to "pre-level" the unit side to side will help this.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Michael--welcome to the forum.

I don't have a 5vr (as you can tell by my signature) but I read through the Ground Control 3 Troubleshooting Guide (you can access a copy here: https://www.granddesignrv.com/sites/...ting-Guide.pdf). Look at page 8--have you done a Zero Point Calibration?

The forum will appreciate any follow-up you may care to document--it will help someone in the future!

-Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you Brian and Howard,
        Most places we are at are never perfectly level. Before we try the manual leveling of each Jack, do we need to find a leveled place?
        We are going camping Thanksgiving. Can we do manual leveling and set the zero points There?

Comment

You do not need to be on a level site, although it helps a lot. You just have to be able to get the rig as close to level as you can, and then you set that as the new zero position. That said, if you find it is correctly level now when you do an auto level then I do not think resetting the zero position will help. When we arrive on a site if we are more than an inch or so off side to side then we block up the low side to prevent the tires from coming off the ground on that side.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Michael,
            To reinforce the excellent advice given to you by Country Campers , check out what happened to Marc and Trish at the National Rally (very applicable to your question). The section you want to watch is from ~9:40 to ~17:00.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you Howard and Francine and fur babies.
              I watched the video and will be heading to Hone Depot today!
              I noticed that The gentleman was able to operate the auto jacks via a mobile device. Was that an iPhone? Is there an app I can download to do that with? Sure would make life easier!
              Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.
              Mike

Comment

Mike

Here is a link to the remote that I purchased. https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Compo.../dp/B00S2IALQU
                I am not aware of a phone app but this remote is one of the best upgrades i have done. I can use it from the truck seat when hooking up and also unhooking. A little pricey but for me it was worth it. Our control is inside the pass thru and you have to bend over and sitck your head inside the compartment to see what you are doing.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Lets see if I can explain this in a way that makes sense. When we first got our 303 fifth wheel I would pull the pins on the front jacks and drop the pads to the ground, thinking that would minimize the stroke of the front jacks needed to level the trailer. A couple of times that resulted in lifting the wheels off the ground because the front could not be lowered enough therefore the rear jacks had to extend. Now when preparing to unhitch I adjust the front pads to about 5" from the ground and let the auto level do its thing. Since the front jacks now have more room to move we have not had the wheels off the ground issue. We still carry Anderson Levelers and the plastic Lego-type blocks, but have not had to use them.
                  Bill
                  2018 Reflection 303rls
                  2013 Ford F350 Platinum SRW CC SB 4WD

Comment

Working...
                  X