Wheels off of the ground after auto leveling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels off of the ground after auto leveling

Outside of the slippage by some wheels not being chocked, does it hurt the jacks if the wheels are off the ground after the auto level finishes? They look pretty stout. We have a 2019 Reflection 337RLS (5'r) w/ electric lifting cylinders. We typicaly try it keep them on the ground but sometimes this happens.

If the suspension is "relaxed" during some leveling (wheels not off the ground), the cylinders attached to the frame seem to bear the load of the rig anyway.
    Rick & B
    2018 F-350 6.7L SRW FX4
    2019 Reflection 337RLS, 1000w solar, 400ah batteries, Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, GY Endurance tires, Truma water heater

Check out what happened to Marc and Trish at the National Rally (very applicable to your question). The section you want to watch is from ~9:40 to ~17:00.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

JFWIW... Out in the desert this happens to me all the time with no ill effects. Once the legs are supporting the weight the trailer, the trailer has no reason to move even without the chock on that side. (As long as legs are on solid ground)

HOWEVER in the video Marc has those "feet" on all of the legs and I believe they don't allow the front legs to slip as they are extended. Since they are on an angle they must slip as they extend. In his case on the video they had to slip all at once (due to "feet" grabbing) so it looked and sounded scary instead of a slow steady slide as the leg extended. I use slip pads on the front now to avoid this sudden slip since it scared me the first time it happened to me. Now a nice easy extension and no sudden slips.
      Jim (& Sharon)
      2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
      2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
      The toys:
      2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
      2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Yes, thanks. I watch KYD every Sunday with DW. While very experienced Marc does make mistakes (like purchasing the F-250, a few season s ago). I will continue doing as always.
        Rick & B
        2018 F-350 6.7L SRW FX4
        2019 Reflection 337RLS, 1000w solar, 400ah batteries, Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, GY Endurance tires, Truma water heater

Comment

Originally posted by JCR GD View Post
          I use slip pads on the front now to avoid this sudden slip since it scared me the first time it happened to me. Now a nice easy extension and no sudden slips.
          What, pray tell, are "slip pads"? Can you provide a pic?

-Steve
          2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
          Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
          2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
          18k B&W Companion, non-slider
          640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
          Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
          Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

What, pray tell, are "slip pads"? Can you provide a pic?

-Steve
            Smooth surface for feet to slide on as legs are extended. I always use them on firm "grippy" surfaces. I think I got them at CW since I can't find them in my Amazon orders.

(paper towels for scale)
            Attached Files
            Jim (& Sharon)
            2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
            2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
            The toys:
            2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
            2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

I keep several lengths of pressure treated 2 x 12 for "ground tackle" use. Do y'all (yes, "y'all" is in my spell checker) think a couple of 12 x 18 pieces of this oriented laterally would be suitable under the front landing gear on our new Solitude or does it need to be something slicker like plastic?

Rob
              Rob & Laura
              U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
              2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
              2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
              (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
              Full time since 08/2015

Comment

In my experience the wood can be sticky, especially if its damp.
                Jim (& Sharon)
                The toys:
                2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Just for the record, most of the time it’s fine but sometimes with grippy feet and/or grippy ground and a lot of extension thats when things get unhappy.
                  Jim (& Sharon)
                  The toys:
                  2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                  2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Some levelling legs are nearly vertical (usually the electric ones) while others come down at a noticeable angle (usually the hydraulic ones). The slip pads will be more important with the angled (hydraulic) levelling legs.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I ordered taller wheel chocks to help with situations similar to this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                      Brian & Kellie
                      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        The slip pads will be more important with the angled (hydraulic) levelling legs.

Rob
                        I'm somewhat confused by this discussion as it relates to my own experiences. I have the angled hydraulic legs. These levelers don't seem to have nearly as much available stroke as the electric levelers on by SOB rig. So when I'm really out of level to begin with, I've found that I need to use blocks on the levelers that need the most stroke, or else the auto-level will fail due to out-of-stroke.

With blocks on the low points, the auto-level usually succeeds, even if the result is to actually raise the wheels off the ground. But the point is, these blocks (Camco X-Large 44527) are fixed, and I wouldn't want a tower of them to be sliding around.

Seems there are two competing concerns going on in this discussion.

-Steve
                        2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                        Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                        2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                        18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                        640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                        Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                        Somerset, WI

Comment

Chances are your front feet will slide a bit on top of the blocks. The more extension the more sliding should/will occur. No worries, just be aware there needs to be a bit of movement allowed as the front legs extend.
                          Jim (& Sharon)
                          The toys:
                          2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                          2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Working...
                          X