Electric jack maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric jack maintenance

On a previous 5th wheel I started having some binding issues with the front electric jacks. I quickly found they utilized a screw type mechanism that needed periodic lubrication. You don't read much on the forums about this type of routine maintenance, and I found it's a real pain to try to get grease up into the screw threads.

My Reflection has the Ground Control 3.0 system and I'm wondering what folks are doing as periodic lubrication on the jacks, both front and rear.
    2020 Reflection 273MK
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
    On a previous 5th wheel I started having some binding issues with the front electric jacks. I quickly found they utilized a screw type mechanism that needed periodic lubrication. You don't read much on the forums about this type of routine maintenance, and I found it's a real pain to try to get grease up into the screw threads.

My Reflection has the Ground Control 3.0 system and I'm wondering what folks are doing as periodic lubrication on the jacks, both front and rear.
    The 315RLTS has two of the PSX1 stabilizers. In the Lippert manual it has the vague following information:

Mechanical Maintenance
    It is recommended that when operating in harsh environments, e.g. road salt or ice buildup, the moving parts be kept clean. They can be washed with mild soap and water. The ACME screw is precoated with grease. If the screw is cleaned, it may be necessary to add grease to the screw to ensure smooth stabilizer operation.

I pursued the obvious question (What kind of grease?) without ever getting a clear answer. I spray the gear regularly with the PTFE spray I use on everything else. Not the manual's recommended lubricant, but no issues to date. (Doesn't seem right to use "grease" on the exposed screw--how can it not accumulate grime and grit?)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I believe that I read somewhere one time that a person used a piece of hose and the put a bunch of grease in one end, raised the jacks as far as they would go, remove the jack pad foot, and then slid the hose full of grease up the threaded rod inside the square jack tube. If I recall it worked ok. I have not tried this yet but it does remind me that it does need done. There is really no other way to grease the jacks as they do not have any fittings for that, would be nice though. Make sure to have the RV attached to the truck before doing this, you can not remove the jack pad foot if the RV is sitting on it, that's ok I feel kind of dumb saying it but it is surely something I would do at least once.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Be careful not to add too much since the grease will need someplace to go when the jack is retracted.

Jim

Comment

Howard, what gear are you referring to that you lube? I don't think there would be a way to access the long screw to spay lube on it.

Brian, yes that's the way I lubed my old trailer. I used a piece of pool noodle about 3' long and smeared some grease on the inside of it, then ran it up on the screw and rotated it. I don't think you need a bunch of grease, and when you raise/lower the jack that will spread the grease around on the threads.

There is a small hex head bolt on the top of my jacks right by the motor. I have no idea what this is for. A few years ago I saw a modification where a guy drilled a hole in the jack housing and was able to squirt oil on the screw and allow it to run down the threads. I guess these are Lippert products so maybe I can get a drawing/schematic.
          2020 Reflection 273MK
          2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

LG-Specs.pdf

Here is some specs on the landing gear from Venture. There is a cross-section view.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
              [ATTACH]n79854[/ATTACH]

Here is some specs on the landing gear from Venture. There is a cross-section view.
              I know all these jacks are built about the same, but the one in this diagram is not the one in my trailer.
              2020 Reflection 273MK
              2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Howard, what gear are you referring to that you lube? I don't think there would be a way to access the long screw to spay lube on it.
                The pic of the PSX1 electric stabilizer below is from the manual and to orient you it is upside down.

"A" is pointing to the worm gear (think that's the right term) that is clearly visible when looking at the actual stabilizer. "B" is a bushing or "nut" that rides over the length of the gear. I clean and liberally spray those parts regularly with dry PTFE lubricant.

Again, that's not the "book" recommendation but I can't see the logic in putting wet grease on those exposed components--one tow and they'll be filled with grit and debris. I could be wrong, but someone will have to explain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PSX1.JPG
Views:	749
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	79861
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Lonestar

I think that the hex bolt you are referring to is used to hold the motor onto the jack tube. I think I will do the pool noodle or similar over the weekend in early prep for the season.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers

Brian, I bet your are right about the hex bolt. There is one on each side.

When I used the pool noodle I had one with a pretty small I.D. I split about 8" of the tube open so I could smear some grease inside, and did about 3 applications on each threaded rod. Again, not a lot of grease. The idea of filling a piece of hose with grease would be great but you sure would waste a lot of grease that way.

Even with the trailer on the 5th wheel hitch, it's kinda creepy having your head under the jack tube when you are looking up trying to locate the screw shaft.

I need to lube mine in the near future.

Jerry
                    2020 Reflection 273MK
                    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

howson Howard, I think that should be either a standard threaded rod or an acme threaded rod. IIRC worm gears are 90 to each other. From what I know about those jacks, they use a threaded rod similar to how a scissor jack uses a threaded rod. Pull the nut toward the fixed end with a pivoting brace causes the leg to raise or lower. Geometry to the rescue, by changing one of the leg lengths of the triangle, you change the angle of the other 2.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Those screws are Acme threaded screws. It's a common form of power screw. On a previous trailer I had stabilizers. I used silicon spray lube on the screw every once in a while.
                        Ted
                        2021 Reflection 310RLS
                        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

This is an old video but I liked the setup. A piece of vinyl hose with a plug on both ends (one to keep it clean when not in use) with a zerk on one. Fill it up and slide it over the rod in the landing gear. Have never actually done it, but thought it was a good way to go. Around the 12 minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emcO...tomConversions

Neil Citro
                          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                          X