Hydraulic Jacks not Retracting Fully

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic Jacks not Retracting Fully

We are experiencing trouble with our jacks not retracting fully. This occurs with the middle and rear jacks when going from 'auto level' to 'hitch height', most often with the roadside, rear jack, and when using the manual control to raise the front jacks after hitching up to the truck. So far we have been able to resolve the issue by using the 'retract all' command, but it seems to take several iterations to get all the jacks retracted. There are no external leaks and there is oil in the reservoir, and we have been diligent in spraying the jack stems when we park for an extended time. Is this a sensor problem, a software problem, or something else? How we solve this issue before we have to start manually operating valves?
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
    We are experiencing trouble with our jacks not retracting fully.
    What year and model GD unit? Are the jacks part of the Ground Control 3.0 system?

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

We have a 2018 Momentum 395M. I don't know what you mean by "Ground Control 3.0" system
      John
      2018 Momentum 395M
      2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

We have a 2018 Momentum 395M. I don't know what you mean by "Ground Control 3.0" system
        Looking at your owner's manual, your Momentum doesn't have the Ground Control 3.0 (book says it's installed on the "G" class?). I'm no expert on these hydraulic systems (just trying to help!) so I *think* your system's documentation is here: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001531.pdf

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this stuff will chime in here soon.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Thanks, Howard. Sorry I drew a blank when you asked about Ground Control 3.0. We do have Lippert Ground Control 3.0 with the One Control module and I have been through the owner manual without finding sufficient information to help me. Here's more detail on the problem.

When going from level to hitch height the middle and rear jacks do come out of contact with the ground but may not all fully retract. Typically it is the roadside rear jack that hangs up. There is no error indication the jacks simply don't retract fully and control displays a steady green light indicating that the operation is complete. At one time the middle and rear jacks did all fully retract when going from level to hitch height.

After hitching to our truck we lower the front (raise the front jacks) and get a steady green light before both jacks are fully retracted, usually it is the curbside jack that hangs up. Again, no error indication. At one time both the front jacks could be fully retracted.

When retract all is pushed the hung up jacks do retract, but it is not a smooth operation. A jack will move and then pause, move and then pause, move and then pause. There is no error indication and on one occasion the module indicated the operation was complete, steady green light, when we still had one jack not fully retracted. We ran retract all again and were able to get the jack to retract.
          John
          2018 Momentum 395M
          2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

Thanks, Howard. Sorry I drew a blank when you asked about Ground Control 3.0. We do have Lippert Ground Control 3.0 with the One Control module and I have been through the owner manual without finding sufficient information to help me. Here's more detail on the problem.

When going from level to hitch height the middle and rear jacks do come out of contact with the ground but may not all fully retract. Typically it is the roadside rear jack that hangs up. There is no error indication the jacks simply don't retract fully and control displays a steady green light indicating that the operation is complete. At one time the middle and rear jacks did all fully retract when going from level to hitch height.

After hitching to our truck we lower the front (raise the front jacks) and get a steady green light before both jacks are fully retracted, usually it is the curbside jack that hangs up. Again, no error indication. At one time both the front jacks could be fully retracted.

When retract all is pushed the hung up jacks do retract, but it is not a smooth operation. A jack will move and then pause, move and then pause, move and then pause. There is no error indication and on one occasion the module indicated the operation was complete, steady green light, when we still had one jack not fully retracted. We ran retract all again and were able to get the jack to retract.
            Your description of the issue is well documented. I suggest giving Lippert a call to see what they recommend. Once you figure it out please post a follow-up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LCI.JPG
Views:	481
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	8265

Comment

Been in touch with Lippert and the issue is with the 12 volt DC system. Still working through the issues and will not bore you with the details, but will provide lessons learned:

1. Pay attention to your battery volt meter and when it starts dropping take action. Our meter is just one of those things that is there when we activate our panel, its not what we are really looking for and so we see it without seeing it. Not any more.

2. Do the yearly maintenance on the electrical system. This means pulling all the covers and checking the connections, and pulling on the ring connectors on the cables. We had one loose one. A meter to check continuity is a good thing to carry.

and 3. Keep your manuals handy. Howard is right in that we don't have the Ground Control 3.0 System, but this is the closest that can be found in the Lippert Manual and so part of that manual was helpful. Our Grand Design manual actually had a better description of the our jacks and hydraulic motor and was really useful in figuring out how to manually raise and lower the jacks. Be aware, however, that these manuals are written by people who would rather be doing something else. Neither of them are perfectly clear as to location and operation.

I think we can close this issue out now.

John
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

Been in touch with Lippert and the issue is with the 12 volt DC system. Still working through the issues and will not bore you with the details, but will provide lessons learned:

1. Pay attention to your battery volt meter and when it starts dropping take action. Our meter is just one of those things that is there when we activate our panel, its not what we are really looking for and so we see it without seeing it. Not any more.

2. Do the yearly maintenance on the electrical system. This means pulling all the covers and checking the connections, and pulling on the ring connectors on the cables. We had one loose one. A meter to check continuity is a good thing to carry.

and 3. Keep your manuals handy. Howard is right in that we don't have the Ground Control 3.0 System, but this is the closest that can be found in the Lippert Manual and so part of that manual was helpful. Our Grand Design manual actually had a better description of the our jacks and hydraulic motor and was really useful in figuring out how to manually raise and lower the jacks. Be aware, however, that these manuals are written by people who would rather be doing something else. Neither of them are perfectly clear as to location and operation.

I think we can close this issue out now.

John
                Thanks for the follow-up, John. I'd surmise from your description of the issue that the voltage getting to the jacks was low, thus they were drawing too many amps. The jacks shut down when a given amperage level is reached, regardless of their location.

Really appreciate the post!

Comment

Working...
                X